GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Mayhem - Vocals are great :lol: It reminds me of something from pop culture I can't put my finger on exactly what it's from but I'm pretty sure it's an evil underling who's catchphrase is "yes, master". Production clear enough for this sort of music.

Dream Theatre - opinion given before, finally a track from them with a reasonable running time, of course it turns out it's a fucking instrumental

Mayhem with the win

Black Sabbath - One of the weakest, if not the weakest, of the big 6 Ozzy era albums, but still has a lot of great stuff on it, Snowblind, Supernaut, Wheels of Confusion and Tomorrow's Dream are all classics. Some heavy stuff in Cornucopia and Under the Sun are pretty great too, but the rest is sloppy and poor sounding, with FX being total bollocks. Also I'm a bit sick of Changes but can understand people who dig it.

Bruce Dickinson - opinion given before

Bruce Dickinson with the win

Black Sabbath - now we're talking about Sabbath being on form. The title track might be the best they ever did (War Pigs will have a say in any such discussion of course), and the riff for the "god knows as your dog nose" verse is the heaviest there has ever been or ever will be. Killing Yourself to Live, Spiral Architect, A National Acrobat, Sabbra Cadabra are all innovative, and the rest of the tracks are not quite at that level but still great.

Judas Priest - opinion given before

Black Sabbath with the win, and looking at the score at the moment, Firepower is a decent enough album that's a pastiche of a better Priest album (Painkiller) at best, it's had a good run, deservedly, I must add, but to be beating a real great from one of their peers in their heyday? Maybe 75% of the forum needs to go take a look in the mirror.

Sepultura - I used to have this on LP back in the day, it still holds up and gets a listen once in a blue moon. I'm more likely to listen to this than Chaos A.D. but less so than Arise which is weird since when I was an active Sepultura fan I didn't really like Arise. The title track, Inner Self and Mass Hypnosis are the best stuff on the album but it's all of a decent standard

Iron Maiden - opinion given before

Iron Maiden with the win

Last edited:
Nope. This is not a game of subgenres or decades.
Exactly. It's just as relevant selection (or not) as to avoid having popular works meet popular works early. I think the game is perfect as it is and selection tampering is inheritly bad other than aiming at not having multiple works by the same band in the early matches.

Anyway, there's no point in debating this for me, as LC is the game maker, not me.

I'm of the opinion that the popular works should enter early. That way we can get to hear more of them, e.g. we heard more of Killing is my Business and The Real Thing than we did of their respective bands better albums.

Yax, I do not see how that is as relevant. The goal of this game is to see which works are the most popular with the voters. My stance is, if the estimated most popular works do not meet too early we are striving for that goal.

EDIT: on the other hand there was also another goal: discovering new music.
So I realize this may have been an important factor.

On Black Sabbath's Vol. 4

Black Sabbath - One of the weakest, if not the weakest, of the big 6 Ozzy era albums, but still has a lot of great stuff on it, Snowblind, Supernaut, Wheels of Confusion and Tomorrow's Dream are all classics. Some heavy stuff in Cornucopia and Under the Sun are pretty great too, but the rest is sloppy and poor sounding, with FX being total bollocks. Also I'm a bit sick of Changes but can understand people who dig it.

Everyone their own opinion of course, but Vol. 4 is widely regarded as one of the better Ozzy era albums. I'd say it's an ideal mix between heavy, dark riff fests and some experimentation. With enough good stuff on it to be called great. Yeah, FX sucks, but it is a relatively short segment.

Here the Vol. 4 positions when I check all results on the first page in this Google action: ranking of sabbath albums

ranked as 3rd big Ozzy era album here:

ranked as 6th big Ozzy era album here:

ranked as 4th big Ozzy era album here:

ranked as 4th big Ozzy era album here:

ranked as 5th big Ozzy era album here:

ranked as worst big Ozzy era album in the GMAC game on Maidenfans:
crushed in its first match by the most popular Bruce Dickinson record.

Vol. 4 is probably my favourite or second favourite Ozzy-era Sabbath album.

However, Chemical Wedding is one of my favourite albums ever. I like it better than Vol. 4 even though I like Vol. 4 a lot.

That's why I voted for Chemical Wedding.

I'm not going to vote for or against an album for the sake of some performance record.

If this is how I'm expected to vote, I'm not going to vote.

You definitely voted correctly. There is nothing wrong with the voting, I hope. That is what everyone can decide for themselves.

Dream Theater I don't like them, but Mayhem are terrible
Bruce Dickinson wins with his best album. Vol. 4 is great but The Chemical Wedding is much better
Black Sabbath wins. FirePower is a great album but Sabbath bloody Sabbath is epic
Iron Maiden wins with Brave New World. Great reunion album.

You definitely voted correctly. There is nothing wrong with the voting, I hope. That is what everyone can decide for themselves.

I'm just saying, there doesn't have to be a statement in it. It's just how it is.

Sure. I vote regularly without statement, especially when I do not have an urge to do some "propaganda" for an album I'd like to go further.

With enough good stuff on it to be called great.

Yes, I agree with this. Weak is meant only in comparison to the other Ozzy albums. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage are my favourite two, and obviously Paranoid and Master of Reality are all time greats, so that's the calibre of album I think it's weaker than, which 99.999% of metal albums are also weaker than.

Dream Theater because it is music that I can actually listen to, and because I love it.

Bruce has his best album here and the 2nd or 3rd best album he has ever sang on. I agree with others about Vol. 4 - it is far from my favorite.

Priest have a killer record here (that I don’t view as a pastiche in any way) and Sabbath have a spotty one. I do like SBS better than Vol. 4 or the stuff that came after, but Firepower is just rad.

Maiden get my vote here, without a doubt. Looking forward to Brave New World losing to So Far So Good So What soon!

Yes, I agree with this. Weak is meant only in comparison to the other Ozzy albums. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage are my favourite two, and obviously Paranoid and Master of Reality are all time greats, so that's the calibre of album I think it's weaker than, which 99.999% of metal albums are also weaker than.
Yes. My post was trying to point out the estimated popularity of the record among the other (big as you called it) Ozzy era albums.

The seeding within the league is determined randomly. I picked the songs that ranked - according to popularity - between 33rd and 62nd and randomized their order, then put them in without looking at who was coming out where. There was no intent on placing one album against another. I've made guesses for where certain albums would go or go out and often been wrong, so even if I had made that intent, it's possible that I would have been wrong.

Using my combined metric, Vol. 4 was the 45th most popular album, up against the 91st most popular album. It's a bit of an upset if Chemical Wedding goes through, but only a bit of one.

And there is Maidensfans popularity meaning CW is a top 4-8 album of this game.

All Sabbath will be trashed by Brucey.

Back