GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

This AC/DC album is a very mixed bag. “Whole Lotta Rosie” is an all-time classic, and “Problem Child” is good. The title track is certainly an iconic song, but I can’t say it’s a very good one — and the rest of the album is completely forgettable. While the Annihilator album is also a mixed bag, and certainly never approaches the heights of “Whole Lotta Rosie”, I think it delivers interesting music more consistently than its competition, and that’s enough to take this match. Sorry, @The Dissident, but I have to go with @Perun ’s nominee. Winner: Annihilator

This next match is the most interesting one of the round. Virgin Steele is a unique band that has some distinct pros and cons. The singer often sounds good on softer and more controlled sections, but he has a really bad habit of lapsing into non-melodic yelling or half-spoken vocalizations, and neither of these work very well. The drumming is often pat and boring, even to the point of irritation on a song like “A Symphony Of Steele”. The synth tones are super low-rent and cheesy to an extent that they become distracting, though their musical contributions are usually strong. But these guys have a lot of ambition in their songwriting and conceptual album approach, and the guitar work is often surprisingly strong and makes cool and unique choices in its riff structures — and when they start channeling 70s prog rock through their power metal sound, like they do through much of the middle section of this album, they can sound fantastic. This record has a very inauspicious start, with the leadoff track being downright cringe-inducing; but by the time you get to “Rising Unchained” there’s some pretty cool stuff going on, and that holds up for most of the rest of the album. This Testament album is also a mixed bag, with some neat guitar parts on it but uneven songwriting. The overall quality of these albums is probably pretty similar, and I’d be fine with either one winning — but sorry, PhantootenoftheWicarus, I’m going to reward the ambition and uniqueness of @Forostar ’s choice this time. Winner: Virgin Steele

Well, Blind Guardian, it was nice knowing you. Have you ever seen the “Enter Sandman” video? Well, you’re the bed, and Led Zeppelin IV is the 18-wheeler. Boom! Yeah, yeah, yo-o-oh, oh. Yngwie’s Marching Out says hi. Sorry, @Night Prowler, but by @MrKnickerbocker @Dr. Eddies Wingman ’s nominee’s sword you will die. Winner: Led Zeppelin

This Avantasia album is consistently well-crafted cheesy power metal in the Keeper-era Helloween vein, with a more theatrical twist. I didn’t really hear any bad songs on my run-through, and there were a number of strong passages. At this point I think that’s probably enough to edge out an admittedly great grunge album in a metal album cup contest. Sorry, Ariampwia 365, but I’m going with @Poto ’s choice here. Winner: Avantasia

Last edited:
Ouch Virgin Steele has some support but I hoped for a bit more. This album has a lot of nice tracks with a strong singer. The blend of ingredients is far from simple, but it is all very accessible at the same time.
Lots of quality, memorable melodies, and nice guitar work. You cannot get much better here. But who cares about that anyway these days. In the dustbin, bye.

Lots of quality, memorable melodies, and nice guitar work. You cannot get much better here. But who cares about that anyway these days. In the dustbin, bye.
They're a high nominee, based on the Virgin Steele runs earlier on I think the fault more lies with my system of nomination than anything else. It is what it is, but remember the point is to expose people to the music, less so to win every match :)

Pretty shocked to see a legitimately great Led Zeppelin album lose when their lesser material seemed to stick around longer. Can you tell that I write my comments before looking at the votes? LOL...

Nothing against Let There Be Rock but Annihilator's debut really good.

Although featuring some cheesy details here and there, Virgin Steel's 2nd part of William Blake's adaptation sure has some good passages (like it way more than the majority of the modern day big names of Power Metal). But The New Order is simply a monster of a Thrash Metal album and it leaves me no choice but to ride with Testament.

Already gave props to Blind Guardian's third album countless times but it just ran into one of the best Hard Rock albums ever. Rock N' Roll, Black Dog, When The Levee Breaks, Stairway to Heaven, you name it. This thing is simply one of the most iconic records in history: Led Zeppelin.

Avantasia can go operate somewhere else. Pearl Jam.

Pretty shocked to see a legitimately great Led Zeppelin album lose when their lesser material seemed to stick around longer. Can you tell that I write my comments before looking at the votes? LOL...
It's a much tougher league than when they were around before.

This was a survivor's round!

Annihilator knocks down AC/DC. The Aussies are back in the next league.
Testament survives Virgin Steele, who are eliminated from the GMAC after getting lots of notice in early rounds. The next challenge is Kamelot.
Blind Guardian continues their deep run with a decent win over Led Zeppelin's last entry. It's the battle of demons and wizards in the next league, as they'll match up against Iced Earth.
Pearl Jam ends Avantasia's run. Next, they will match up against the mighty Manowar!

Back