GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

ACDC-LetThereBeRock.jpg

AC/DC - Let There Be Rock (1977)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 90
Maidenfans Nominators: @The Dissident
League 5 - Match 21vs.
AnnihilatorAliceInHell.jpg

Annihilator - Alice in Hell (1989)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @Perun
Previous Rounds:
League 8: Defeated Gojira - L’Enfant Sauvage 15-8.
League 7: Defeated Sodom - M-16 - Ensiferum 17-4.
League 6: Defeated Alter Bridge - Fortress 17-10.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The_Marriage_of_Heaven_and_Hell_Part_II.jpg

Virgin Steele - The Marriage of Heaven & Hell Part II (1996)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 70
Maidenfans Nominators: @Forostar
League 5 - Match 22vs.
The_New_Order.jpg

Testament - The New Order (1988)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @phantomoftheicarus, @Whooten
Previous Rounds:
League 6: Defeated Joe Satriani - Surfing With the Alien 17-9.

Led_Zeppelin_-_Led_Zeppelin_IV.jpg

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV (1971)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 57, Metalstorm 5
Maidenfans Nominators: @Mr. Knickerbocker
League 5 - Match 23vs.
Blind_guardian_tales.jpg

Blind Guardian - Tales From the Twilight World (1990)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Night Prowler
Previous Rounds:
League 14: Defeated Kamelot - Karma 18-3.
League 13: Defeated Yngwie Malmsteen - Marching Out 16-9.
League 12: Defeated Suicidal Tendencies - Suicidal Tendencies 18-8.
League 11: Defeated Eis - Galeere 19-4.
League 10: Defeated Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak 13-11.
League 9: Defeated Fight - War of Words 14-8.
League 8: Defeated Scorpions - In Trance 15-9.
League 7: Defeated Mastodon - Emperor of Sand 15-6.
League 6: Defeated Gojira - The Way of All Flesh 20-5.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The_Metal_Opera.jpg

Avantasia - The Metal Opera (2001)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 62
Maidenfans Nominators: @Poto
League 5 - Match 24vs.
PearlJam-Ten2.jpg

Pearl Jam - Ten (1991)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Ariana, @Lampwick 43
Previous Rounds:
League 7: Defeated Guns ‘n Roses - Chinese Democracy 16-5.
League 6: Defeated Blaze Bayley - Tenth Dimension 13(ET)-13.

I've done that for many albums, but not that one. Anyway, Let There Be Rock is my favourite Bon Scott AC/DC album, so it wasn't much of a contest.
With every AC/DC album in the game I know what I'm getting - I also know what they're getting, and that something isn't my vote. :p

AC/DC - The first great AC/DC album, Go Down is great, perhaps not lyrically and Dog Eat Dog is average but after that the other 6 tracks are top notch AC/DC classics. I love the raw production, bits of background noise and feedback at the start of tracks, that's what Rock n' Roll's about.

Annihilator - opinion given before

AC/DC with the win.

Virgin Steele - Pretty decent, kind of like Power Metal if it grew a pair. Also, kind of an 80's AOR sheen off parts of it as well.

Testament - opinion given before

Testament with the win

Led Zeppelin - I must not have nominated any Led Zep as this is the one I would have gone with. Just a flawless record. Rock N Roll, Black Dog, Four Sticks and When the Levee Breaks provide the muscle, with balance provided by the chillax/psychedelia of the other 4 tracks. If Misty Mountain Hop is the weakest track on your record then you know you have a good one. Some people are no doubt going to moan about Stairway being overrated/overplayed/normies like it or whatever. You are wrong.

Blind Guardian - opinion given before

Led Zeppelin with the win, but I have a feeling a miscarriage of justice is going to take place in the voting on this one

Avantasia - The title was an immediate turn off, but the track turned out to be way better than I was expecting, still not great though, the chorus was a bit of a let down as the rest of the track had been in the range of commercial sounding that I appreciate, but the chorus kind of pushed it outside that range. Solo section good.

Pearl Jam - opinion given before

Pearl Jam with the win.

Last edited:
Voted for AC/DC, Testament, Led Zeppelin, and Pearl Jam. Only one of those is really a "metal band", but who cares? Certainly not me.

only one of them isn't. AC/DC and Led Zeppelin are two of the biggest, best, most influential and most successful Heavy Metal bands of all time. Just because metal got more extreme as time went by, doesn't mean we get to go back in time and shift the goal posts.

Virgin Steele - Pretty decent, kind of like Power Metal if it grew a pair. Also, kind of an 80's AOR sheen off parts of it as well.
Well, Virgin Steele definitely represents US power metal, which typically is more ballsy (but not nearly as good!!) compared to its European counterpart.

Led Zeppelin
I was thinking about IV when I said that; half its runtime is dedicated to softer rock and folk music. The only songs I'd call "metal" from it are Black Dog, Rock and Roll, (maybe) Four Sticks, and When the Levee Breaks.

only one of them isn't. AC/DC and Led Zeppelin are two of the biggest, best, most influential and most successful Heavy Metal bands of all time. Just because metal got more extreme as time went by, doesn't mean we get to go back in time and shift the goal posts.
And in fairness, grunge was often referred to as “grunge metal” in its early years, so Ten is arguably a form of metal album as well.

I've heard interviewers in Europe refer to AC/DC as Metal, whereas in North America, they are considered more hard rock. Frankly I'm more inclined to be on the side of European interviewers; but ultimately I prefer to attempt to judge metal vs non-metal based on how it would have been percieved at the time of release since that was the interprutation it was given at the time which would be the same as those whom were influenced by them.

Personally I've never thought of AC/DC as a metal band but I guess they are one of those borderline cases.

And in fairness, grunge was often referred to as “grunge metal” in its early years, so Ten is arguably a form of metal album as well.

Yes, I accept that. My personal definition is if a band was listened to by metal fans, appeared in the metal press and was on the same festival bills as metal bands then I consider them under the metal umbrella. Grunge bands definitely fit that description.

Back