GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Epica... Another one of those bands among the countless new breed of Nightwish and Within Temptation copycats like the Evanescences of the world.
After Forever (the band Mark Jansen segued Epica out of) beat Nightwish and Within Temptation to formation by a year. They aren’t copycats, they just play the same genre of music.

After Forever (the band Mark Jansen segued Epica out of) beat Nightwish and Within Temptation to formation by a year. They aren’t copycats, they just play the same genre of music.
Sure they're not: exactly the same mannerisms, musical profile, genre and traits releasing a record years after Nigtwish and Within Temptation. And as for who's worst I think they're all mediocre... only give more value to the original thing even if it's bad.

Epica was very much not to my liking, it sounded too dark and unsettling. Maiden all the way.

Tremonti

Skyforger doesn't hold a candle, book, bell to anything on this Sabbat beast!

Armed and Ready riff is similar to 2M2M, but that won't save it because La Villa Strangiato went far beyond my expectations.

Rush x2 (I do quite like that Michael Schenker Group album), Sabbat (Andy Sneap is a God), and Epica as a sort of fuck you to sub par Iron Maiden albums.

Sorry, that’s bullshit. The only similarities I can think of are that they aren’t native English speakers and that they play symphonic metal. Maybe your criticism is at the genre as a whole. They’re no more similar to each other than Megadeth is to Metallica.
Only BIG difference is that Mustaine and Metallica were pioneers when it comes to their genres (so calling Megadeth a copycat of Metallica is a bit dumb since THE composer of Megadeth wrote several of Metallica's style creating songs). On the other hand Epica and all those bands never created nothing new. That's why. If you noticed (although disliking them) I'm not calling Nightwish or Within Temptation copycats... they're the copied ones here.

Last edited:
Hooks in You is fun!!!
In a way "fun" is a somehow adequate term. I mean I kinda exaggerated on purpose saying Adrian had to apologize humanity... the song while not being good isn't as bad as absolute bottom tier Maiden. But it sure is goofy. :)

You stand before this court, accused of heresy. How do you plead?
e6d90bc7e530ac8b38aef9f83eb022c8.jpg

Epica is fine, but Iron Maiden takes this one easily.

I'm contractually obligated to vote for Tremonti, but I'm not upset about it as this album is quite solid.

I'm no Amorphis fan, but this album has really grown on me and Sabbat just doesn't do it for me. Amorphis.

The Michael Schenker Group is nothing special and Hemispheres is a top tier Rush album. Rush.

I'm sorry, but anyone who doesn't hear the fundamental difference between Epica and NW/WT probably heard one of those bands only from the windows of a passing car. If "female vocalist + usage of orchestra + generally can be classified as metal" (doesn't that describe uneXpect as well?) is enough to accuse any of them to be copycats, then I guess we can throw away most of metal, because despite all the subgenres, it's all derivative af.

And while I like (well, liked, I'm not so sure nowadays) Nightwish, Epica (and it's spiritual predecessor After Forever) is infinitely more interesting music-wise. Even the "epic" NW songs is still mostly some random pop melodies (which keep repeating as their career gets longer) stacked together, with Epica I'm much more at ease calling their results actual compositions, with at least some untrivial approaches. Doesn't mean you have to like it, but it's really a very different beast.

Also, Epica has an actual guitarist.

I'm sorry, but anyone who doesn't hear the fundamental difference between Epica and NW/WT probably heard one of those bands only from the windows of a passing car. If "female vocalist + usage of orchestra + generally can be classified as metal" (doesn't that describe uneXpect as well?) is enough to accuse any of them to be copycats, then I guess we can throw away most of metal, because despite all the subgenres, it's all derivative af.
Yeah, this.^

Back