GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Judas Priest do not deserve this many wins for this record, but Murg is far worse.

I love Chris Cornell, I quite like Audioslave, but nothing on their debut album is as good as Man on The Silver Mountain or Temple of the King. Rainbow.

I know, it's genre-creating, genre-defining, etc., and I'm sorry, but Bathory sounds like shit. I know, it's the aesthetic as much as the reality of recording they had, but it sounds like shit. No thanks. Virtual XI is not good, but it at least as The Clansman. Iron Maiden.

Deep Purple is classic, playing classic Purple stuff. Mekong Delta is more interesting. Excited to listen to them beyond this game.

I thought this was pretty interesting. What would you say could be done to further evolve the extreme metal sound to head into something beyond Bathory?
If I had the answer, I'd probably be compelled to become a music artist.

The answers to questions like that led to the creation of some of the greatest bands of all time: Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy, Motörhead, Metallica, Black Sabbath, etc.. All those guys (and girls in many cases) saw something or rather heard something missing from the music they were into and felt compelled to create. I don't hear anything in extreme music now (or really in heavy metal in general) that I think could push the boundaries of what already is.

It's pretty telling that extreme metal hasn't really evolved past this and the chorus riff from Die By the Sword by Slayer. Sure you can speed it up a bit, add in pinch harmonics, maybe a shitty breakdown or two, but what would that accomplish? Bathory reached the Apex of extreme metal in 1985, and no band or person for that matter has come close to topping what The Return offers.
When it comes to Black Metal I agree.

Now extreme music? It's a bit of a stretch. compare anything made during that era with From Enslavement To Obliteration, Reek Of Putrefaction, World Downfall, Realm Of Chaos, Necroticism, Clandestine or I'll go even further and pick a band you mentioned. That band is responsible for what IMO is still on of the most heavy, fast and terrifying spree of records ever done: Haunting The Chapel, Hell Awaits and REIGN IN BLOOD. Always getting faster, darker, more brutal, more evil sounding... and that progression with increasingly better productions and more technical playing detail!!! (traits that normally "soften" bands' sounding) It's not by random reasons or hype that Slayer achieved the reputation they achieved. Still recall when I first listened to Reign In Blood back in the 80's. to this very day no other record had that effect of shock on me. They were reaaaaaally ahead of their time when it comes to pulling things to the extreme (along with Bathory, Hellhammer/ Celtic Frost and Sodom).

Bathory and VXI both have bad production. Bathory has bad singing, VXI has some bad singing. Bathory has bad songwriting, VXI has 75-90% bad songwriting. Clear winner. A sad winner, but, a winner.

Bathory and VXI both have bad production. Bathory has bad singing, VXI has some bad singing. Bathory has bad songwriting, VXI has 75-90% bad songwriting. Clear winner. A sad winner, but, a winner.
This is a rather bleak way of breaking down music, or art in general, don't you think?

This is a rather bleak way of breaking down music, or art in general, don't you think?
I do agree. I’m comparing two albums that belong nowhere near a consideration for the “best of” anything.

to all the trve black kvlt nerds: sorry, bad production does not make the music or genre better. Recorded music is recorded music. Poor recordings don’t add to the mystique. Poor recordings are just poor recordings.

to all the trve black kvlt nerds: sorry, bad production does not make the music or genre better. Recorded music is recorded music. Poor recordings don’t add to the mystique. Poor recordings are just poor recordings.
Not a big black metal fan so I agree mostly, but only to a certain extent. That Darkthrone album that was here in earlier rounds was all around lamely recorded, but Darkthrone aren’t all bad and I think their song Quintessence is pretty cool. Burzum is my favorite example of how you can have lo-fi recordings and not sound like trash. Songs like Jesu død are so incredibly atmospheric that they actually work well. Same goes for Emperor’s material, although they always seemed like a cut above the rest when it came to musicianship, songwriting, and production execution.

Is that album in the game?

I included it in my list- classic album!

Btw, I (now) regret not nominating FOTD album (a very favorite album of mine).... it would have been curious to see this underrated album (IMO) in the game. Hope someone included it in their list.

The following statement is more a general complaint rather than being specifically about Bathory or this Bathory album ( I would be more inclined to listen to Bathory than 99% of the other Black Metal that has been in the game):

Bad production is a gimmick to mask the fact that the music itself is not even heavy at all a lot of the times.

Reign in Blood is produced as pristine as a pop album by a hip hop producer, the ferocity and aggression in the playing is what makes it heavy. A lot of black metal seems to confuse sounding like a jar of bees with extremity and heaviness.

EDIT: I hadn't read @karljant's post when I wrote mine, but I see he made a similar point about the quality of the production of Reign in Blood.

Sorry @Perun, I just can't get anywhere with Murg. Although the songs seem to be getting progressively worse, I'll pick Judas Priest.
Rainbow, of course.
Bathory. There's a lot of really interesting music if you dig through the haze. The vocals aren't doing great for me, but the music is interesting, and VXI probably should go.
Mekong Delta is simply more my speed than Deep Purple. It's not an album I love, but it's interesting and I'll be digging more into it and other albums from the band.

Really? Future of Mankind is by far the best song on the album. It's also a top 5 Priest song imo.
Yeah, it was fine, I was talking about the general progression rather than specifically saying this song. For what it's worth, I didn't enjoy Future of Mankind nearly as much as you. What's the rest of your top 5?

Back