GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Incorruptible is really good, it’s the first Iced Earth album since The Glorious Burden* that doesn’t have any bad songs. Even the weaker ones are pretty good.

*But The Glorious Burden isn’t as strong as Incorruptible, although “Gettysburg” wipes the floor with “Clear The Way”. Both are great though.

Ooh, the last pairing is pretty brutal, because although I love Symph X much more than Primordial, Divine Wings ain't the best album they're capable of (the middle part drags a lot) whereas the Primordial album is the best Primordial album, period. I suspect Wings is gonna win, so I'm going with the underdog here (also, the band needs more love in general). Primordial it is.

I never got the weird obsession this forum has for the Martin-era Sabbath, it's not the worst thing ever, but nothing really special. But then again, I'm the eejit who prefers Ozzy era to Dio era, so what do I know? (well, it's because the former is infinitely more creative than that Rainbow rehash, however cool the singular moments like H&H (the song) may be). Whereas Overkill were pretty good to headbang when I was on the thrash binge about six years ago.

The next one - although Opeth might be (possibly) my favourite metal band ever, I'd like to see myself as not really blinded by the fanboyish rush and be able to admit they have their higher and their lower points. Now, I get what Foro likes about Orchid and sure, the harmonies are sweet, some of the ideas are great, but the songs are very hodge-podge and half-baked, with jarring changes and so-so production and I find both Morningrise AND MAYH to be more consistently enjoyable in the long run (though they surely too have their flaws).

Still, Motorhead... I like it, sure, I wouldn't even doubt this one's one of their better records (though at least Orgasmatron and Another Perfect Day are definitely better, maybe some other ones, too), it's just... dunno, they don't thrill me as much as Akerfeldt & Co. It's probably the riffs - Mikael to me is the one heir to Tony Iommi in that he's able to produce unbelievably great riffs on the spot. And in metal I find that to be pretty important. Although I admit that the 'Head have better groove going on. And the flow and stuff.
So what do I do? Don't know, I guess it's a tie. Voting for Opeth because of blind fanboyism and because they're curently losing.

Hell Fire and Iced Earth - heh, here I don't really know and don't really care. I guess both efforts are kinda good, but none thrills me in the proper way, so I'm gonna vote for Hell Fire, because despite the name they at least have no "edgy" pentagrams on the cover (hey! any reason to pick, right?) and because I know Iced Earth can do better.

Black Sabbath over Overkill. I was pleasantly surprised with the latter, but "Headless Cross" is just an amazing album.

Motörhead over Opeth. @Diesel 11 summed it up perfectly - for all their obvious talent and skill, Opeth never managed to truly grab me. Motörhead, on the other hand, always makes for an enjoyable acquaintance, and this album features some very strong songwriting.

Iced Earth over Hell Fire. I may be a bit IE-biased anyway, but I honestly didn't find Hell Fire very good. It sounded more like a demo sorely in need of finetuning and polishing than an actual album.

Symphony X over Primordial in the toughest pairing this round. I think someone wrote earlier that Primordial really knows how to build a great atmosphere with decent riffs and melodies, and I wholeheartedly agree. I almost voted for them, but I think "The Divine Wings of Tragedy" as an album is a bit stronger (though not Symphony X's best). Honestly, I'll be fine with either album progressing here.

I am pretty FIREd up to have two of my selections in this round.

Love the gallop of Overkill and their debut shows these NJ thrashers would be a force to be reckoned with. I also picked Motorhead over Opeth, because the choice was Motorhead or Opeth. Primoridial over Symphony X, though I don't really dig on either. And finally, in the Song of Ice and Fire, I had to go with my Hell Fire selection. Maybe not the greatest album in the game and yes it's derivative and no it doesn't really hold up well and this band will probably go nowhere, but it's a really fun album that wears its influences proudly. I figured at least a few of you who never heard of these guys would dig them.

Last edited:
Overkill is pretty good thrash but Black Sabbath’s maturity wins for me.
Motörhead and Opeth both have better stuff to offer. Couldn’t really decide so I went with Opeth because I’ve had a connection with their album before in my life.
Not really big on either of those but Iced Earth felt more convincing.
The Divine Wings of Tragedy is an awesome album. This tournament has made me realise how often likable instrumentals are ruined by unpleasant vocals (King Diamond is a notable example). Russell Allen is one of the greats.

It's time to do my civic duty. While I haven't had enough time to go over every single issue from each candidate, I'd like to think I've familiarized myself enough to make an informed decision.

The first race features two strong candidates from pretty popular, well-known parties. I haven't been disappointed with Sabbath's previous terms in office, but I'm ready to see some fresh blood, so I'm casting my vote for Overkill.

Opeth can be a divisive candidate. I, myself, love some of their policies, but am on the complete opposite side of the spectrum on others. Motorhead is a safer candidate that has more appeal to the masses. Since voting for a 3rd party isn't an option, I'm gonna take my chances and vote to re-elect Opeth.

I wasn't familiar with Hell Fire before this, but they've really opened my eyes. I'm very fond of their energy, and think they have some real potential to make a difference.

As the manager of the Divine Wings campaign, I'm obviously going to vote for my own candidate. Their progressive policies, as can be witnessed in the "The Accolade" ad, are just what we need in these trying times. Symphony X.

Feel The Fire is one of Thrash Metal's best debuts. For many metal historians throughout the globe the band from New Jersey pioneered the genre and despite the scam they suffered with the release of their debut EP these dudes weren't going to be denied of their greatness and in that very same year this immensely influential album was released. Although there are still some shades of heavy/ speed metal Feel The Fire already sees some real thrashing cuts kicking serious behind like There's No Tomorrow, Blood And Iron, Kill At Command or the amazing Hammerhead. Taking in account some of these songs were written back in 81/82 makes them even more special . Verni's pounding bass and Blitz's unique blend of screech and tenor have ever since became a cornerstone in the genre but can even be enjoyed best here throughout the powerful and epic title track. These guys proved from the get go they were the real thing with their initial album being one of the best records (perhaps solely surpassed by The Years Of Decay IMO) in a discography full of remarkable records. So while The Headless Cross is a great album as well I think Feel The Fire is simply on another level so yeah... Overkill.

1916 is IMO Lemmy and company's post 70's and 80's best record by far. It opens with the high octane groove of The One To Sing The Blues and continues with the band's classical blueprint on I'm So Bad (man this song is super!) and No Voices In The Sky. But is only after after the well known Going To Brazil that this record gets really interesting. Motorhead go really dark on the next song(perhaps the band's darkest ones since Orgasmatron) in Nightmare/ The Dreamtime and then gets into a really epic mix of calm verses and heavy chorus' in Love Me Forever. Here the band seem to recollect what Metallica borrowed from them in their early ages since there's a wink or two to Sanitarium on this one. Then we have the amazing street punk meets metal tribute in RAMONES and another face melting uptempo crusher in Shut You Down, closing with the solemn war eulogy of the title track. In sum 1916 is a really strong album. Not as strong as Overkill, Iron Fist or Ace Of Spades but for a ninth release it sure recaptured a lot of the energy these guys had in their prime and brought it to the 90's adding a couple of cool innovations here and there. Nevertheless Orchid is a great album as well and although this is virtually a tie, I'll go with Opeth as a charity vote.

Already wrote on how competent yet uninspired Incorruptible sounds. Well these Hell Fire dudes also sound really derivative as many of third millennium's 80's speed metal revivalists. Nevertheless the material here feels way more edgy and energizing than Iced Earth, with way more impact and less boring than Iced Earth's polishing in riffs that should be sharp as hell. My vote goes to Hell Fire.

Primordial are an amazing band. But as amazing as they are IMO To The Nameless Dead is BY FAR their zenith. I mean this masterpiece is simply eye popping gorgeous and powerful (still it didn't made it to my list by a thread). And to amass even more the dose of awesomeness the damn thing kicks of with my favorite song by the band: the perfect mesh between melancholy, aggression and pure fucking epicness in Empires Fall (man how I love this song!). Things calm down as Gallows Hymn's sorrowful dirge fills the air just to be interrupted by the rumbling toms of the monster that is As Rome Burns (those guitar harmonics and that bridge... sick stuff). Failure's Burden is perhaps the song I like the least from the lot but its follower is another exercise in perfection. Heathen Tribe's strong Celtic influenced folk notes sound proud and huge in yet another flawless display of composing mastery and multi dimensional dexterity regarding the band's musical influences. Propelled by the excellent ambiance builder that is THe Rising Tide, Traitors Gate kicks in really hardcore and one can hardly notice as it turns into this huge melodic black metal beast that simply drags your jaw down to the floor if it wasn't already there such is the array of awesome tracks it is preceded by. And what better way to close this behemoth of a record than a 8 minute plus grinding mid paced pure black metal anthem that explodes in another pompous refrain? Make no mistake: this one of the best metal records ever made and few others can top it or even aspire to what these Irishmen achieved here. "Where is the fighting man? Am I he? You would trade every truth for hollow victories... For hollow victoriiiiiieeeeeesss!" Primordial!!!!!

Last edited:
Black Sabbath decapitates Overkill after a tight battle. Overkill is back in League 3.
Motörhead ends the run of this particular Opeth album. The Swedes are still alive in the Match 17 stream. And the Match 19 stream. Aaaaaaand the Match 22 stream. What I'm saying is there's lots of Opeth in this League.
Hell Fire gets snuffed out by Iced Earth. See, George RR Martin, it wasn't that hard to determine the ending of some songs of ice and fire. Iced Earth faces Alestorm next.
Primordial can't hold on against Symphony X. That's the end of Primordial's quest in the GMAC, and next for SX is Queensrÿche.

Dream_Theater_-_Systematic_Chaos.jpg

Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos (2007)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @The Dissident
League 9 - Match 9vs.
Down_to_Earth_%28Rainbow_album%29_coverart.jpg

Rainbow - Down to Earth (1979)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Poto
Previous Rounds:
League 10: Defeated Sanctuary - Into the Mirror Black 12-10.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anaal_Nathrakh_-_Hell_Is_Empty_And_All_The_Devils_Are_Here.jpg

Anaal Nathrakh - Hell is Empty & All the Devils Are Here (2007)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Night Prowler
League 9 - Match 10vs.
Ayreon_-_The_Source.jpg

Ayreon - The Source (2017)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Lampwick 43
Previous Rounds:
League 11: Defeated Sabaton - Coat of Arms 12-10.
League 10: Defeated Cynic - Traced in Air 11-9.

Thoseonceloyal.jpg

Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal (2005)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Dityn DJ James
League 9 - Match 11vs.
Nuclear_Assault_-_Game_Over.jpg

Nuclear Assault - Game Over (1986)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Magnus
Previous Rounds:
League 13: Defeated Living Colour - Vivid 19-7.
League 12: Defeated Star One - Victims of the Modern Age 17-10.
League 11: Defeated Evergrey - Hymns For the Broken 11(ET)-11.
League 10: Defeated Manowar - Into Glory Ride 17-4.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
AnthraxSoundOfWhiteNoise.jpg

Anthrax - Sound of White Noise (1993)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @MrKnickerbocker
League 9 - Match 12vs.
Sabbatdreamweaverreflectionofouryesterdayrr5.jpg

Sabbat - Dreamweaver (1989)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Magnus
Previous Rounds:
League 13: Defeated Pantera - Far Beyond Driven 14-13.
League 12: Defeated Soen - Tellurian 18-10.
League 11: Defeated Anthrax - For All Kings 12-10.
League 10: Defeated AC/DC - The Razors Edge 13-7.

Last edited:
Down to Earth is a magnificent album. Systematic Chaos is, ok.

Liked Ayron.
Nuclear Assault - Good Thrash w. fitting vocals.
Anthrax - 90's Anthrax is way underrated. Very nice.

Back