GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Eh, I think that Megadeth album has the benefit of not being played into the ground by every 45 year old classic rock radio DJ

I don't understand the sentiment of something being "overplayed", it's either good or bad, hearing a good song a million times shouldn't make it shite? That would be like saying the classic years of the Simpsons are now shiter than the newer Simpsons episodes because they've been repeated on TV everyday for the last 30 years and every tom, dick and harry can sing the words to "see my vest".

(I'm not throwing indirect shade at Rust in Peace by saying that, I like RIP too and I'm not sure who I'd vote for between it and BIB )

Ive always believed a good song cant be overplayed. If I've gotten sick of Back in Black after hearing it one hundred times, but can still be compelled by songs like The Trooper or Ace of Spades after multiple listens, I think that speaks to the quality of the music. But we are getting into my personal bias now. I just think AC/DC is too simple for me honestly. And one can argue that Motorhead is too simple and being "overplayed" too.

I don't understand the sentiment of something being "overplayed", it's either good or bad, hearing a good song a million times shouldn't make it shite?
Nope... Overplaying a good song eventually will get you tired of it. Now overplaying a GREAT song will simply increase your praise for it. Simple.

Nope... Overplaying a good song eventually will get you tired of it. Now overplaying a GREAT song will simply increase your praise for it. Simple.
There’s some truth in this, but context also matters. Pearl Jam’s Ten was so ridiculously overplayed when I was in college that I really couldn’t stand hearing it for a solid 10 years after I graduated — but after getting some distance I can now appreciate how strong of an album it actually is. But to @karljant ’s point, hearing the opening notes of “Alive” for the umpteenth time back then made my skin crawl, while I never really minded hearing “Evenflow”.

I’ve also worn out great albums to the point where I need to put them away for a year or two before I can fully appreciate them again. I’ll usually binge on an album when it’s new, then put that particular band’s discography in heavy rotation if I’m liking their new album, but at a certain point the familiarity starts to wear thin and I have to move on for a while. And if I put away a great album for a long time and come back to it later, it really hits hard. That’s why I sort of avoid listening to stuff like Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son too often, so that when I do put it on it’s like falling in love all over again...

I don't understand the sentiment of something being "overplayed", it's either good or bad, hearing a good song a million times shouldn't make it shite? That would be like saying the classic years of the Simpsons are now shiter than the newer Simpsons episodes because they've been repeated on TV everyday for the last 30 years and every tom, dick and harry can sing the words to "see my vest".

(I'm not throwing indirect shade at Rust in Peace by saying that, I like RIP too and I'm not sure who I'd vote for between it and BIB )
Isn't it more when something is kind of okay or you don't like it loads but don't mind it, rather than a song you genuinely enjoy? I was okay with Wonderwall to begin with, then being a student at the height of Oasis frenzy, with five house mates each playing it regularly in their rooms, just flagged up all the worst things about it. Now I really, really, don't like listening to Oasis.

For Those About to Rock is a far better AC/DC album than Killing is a Megadeth album.
Im not complaining - on the contrary, it’s inherent to the game - but this is another example of a vote that is as much about band (taste) bias as any Dance of Death win.

I’ve also worn out great albums to the point where I need to put them away for a year or two before I can fully appreciate them again. I’ll usually binge on an album when it’s new, then put that particular band’s discography in heavy rotation if I’m liking their new album, but at a certain point the familiarity starts to wear thin and I have to move on for a while. And if I put away a great album for a long time and come back to it later, it really hits hard. That’s why I sort of avoid listening to stuff like Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son too often, so that when I do put it on it’s like falling in love all over again...
This is actually exactly what happens with me. Sometimes an album is so good that I just wanna listen to it forever, but then if I do that I get a bit tired of it. So I avoid overplaying my favorite albums so they don’t lose the spark. Just last night I threw on some Death after not listening to them for a long time, and boy does it still hit hard.

Reactions: Jer
I do like some of A7X's stuff, but unfortunately this album just doesn't do it for me. Voting for Power Trip.

Kodex. Easily.

I am feeling like KIMB is getting close to wearing out its welcome, but I'd still honestly take any Megadeth album over any ACDC album.

The Devin Townsend album was quite silly, but it still made for a fun listening experience. Buckethead is good too, and I could honestly go either way with this one depending on my mood. Today I'll give the edge to DT.

Power Trip. I liked the intro to the opener on the A7X album, but it went a little downhill when the vocals entered.

Kodex but I really wouldn't mind if Satyricon won this (I also loved their previous album here, but didn't get to vote :( ).

AC/DC

And Ziltoid.

Power Trip continues their voyage by defeating Avenged Sevenfold. A7X is back in League 8.
Atlantean Kodex quite easily beats Satyricon. That's it for the Norwegian pioneers, and Kodex is next up against...why, how interesting. Avenged Sevenfold.
Megadave crushes AC/DC to continue this minnow run. The Aussies are back in League 5.
Devin Townsend ends Buckethead's GMAC experience. It's been a trip with the virtuoso, but it's over now. We'll see how Devin Townsend fares next against Tool.

Feelfire.jpg

Overkill - Feel the Fire (1985)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @Whooten
League 9 - Match 5vs.
220px-Black-Sabbath-Headless-Cross.jpg

Black Sabbath - Headless Cross (1989)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Forostar
Previous Rounds:
League 11: Defeated Skyclad - The Answer Machine? 11-10.
League 10: Defeated As I Lay Dying - An Ocean Between Us 22-2.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mot%C3%B6rhead_-_1916_%281991%29.jpg

Motörhead - 1916 (1991)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Magnus
League 9 - Match 6vs.
Opeth_Orchid.jpg

Opeth - Orchid (1995)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Forostar
Previous Rounds:
League 13: Defeated Children of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll 14-7.
League 12: Defeated AC/DC - Flick of the Switch 18-6.
League 11: Defeated Haken - The Mountain 15-5.
League 10: Defeated Dethklok - Dethalbum II 19-3.

Last edited:
1fac77b9-683e-4507-a0aa-e70ff8074cb4_1.768f5dc3dcd8671f6e4a4583410bdfbb.jpeg

Hell Fire - Mania (2019)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Whooten
League 9 - Match 7vs.
220px-Iced_Earth_Incorruptible_Artwork.jpg

Iced Earth - Incorruptible (2017)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @LooseCannon
Previous Rounds:
League 11: Defeated Nirvana - In Utero 11-9.
League 10: Defeated Blaze Bayley - Infinite Entanglement 13-9.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
To_the_Nameless_Dead.jpg

Primordial - To the Nameless Dead (2007)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Perun
League 9 - Match 8vs.
SymphonyXTheDivineWingsOfTragedy.jpg

Symphony X - The Divine Winds of Tragedy (1997)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Lampwick 43
Previous Rounds:
League 12: Defeated Accept - Blind Rage 17-5.
League 11: Defeated Haken - Affinity 14-5.
League 10: Defeated Moonsorrow - Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa 16-7.

1916 IS ELITE. MOTÖRHEAD'S SONGWRITING PEAK. Seriously, just listen to Make My Day, No Voices in the Sky, or the title track 1916. The thing is rock solid and the most progressive thing theyve ever done. It's just a masterpiece

Also I know fully well 1916 is losing this round due to this forum's odd obsession with the progressive elevator (sometime wanna-be death metal) music of Opeth, but I truly think 1916 deserves to go far in this game.

Haven’t listened to much Overkill before, and the stuff I have heard has generally had really bad thrash vocals. This album fares a lot better on that front, with a more melodic delivery on top of a large pile of strong riffage. The backing vocals are a bit cringey, and the production kind of stinks; but if you get past those things this is a legitimately good album, like a B-list band punching above their weight class. Unfortunately it’s up against Headless Cross, which is a great album without any of those caveats. Sorry, @Whooten, but @Forostar ’s nominee has more mojo. Winner: Black Sabbath

Motörhead is not a band I’ve spent much time listening to. Lemmy is an acquired taste, and the few songs of theirs I’d heard weren’t that inspiring — so I was pleasantly surprised by 1916, which was a consistently enjoyable set of punchy hard rock songs that never bored me. The title track was a bit cheesy, but I still enjoyed every song on the album. Meanwhile, this Opeth album has a lot of strong musical passages, but also a lot of really horrible glass gargling vocals that make Lemmy sound like an opera singer by comparison. Sorry, @Forostar, but I have to go with @Magnus ’s nominee this time. Winner: Motörhead

This Hell Fire album has overly fat bass and a bit of a low rent feel, but it’s also a solid slab of energetic metal with some obvious Maiden influence, and every song held my interest. Meanwhile, the Iced Earth album has a lot of neat guitar bits peppered throughout, but the singer kind of blows and the songwriting is unmemorable to me. Sorry, @LooseCannon, but I have to go with @Whooten ‘s choice here. Winner: Hell Fire

And here’s yet another Primordial album, with pretty much the same pros and cons as all the other Primordial albums in the GMAC. The band can build a nice atmosphere, and their thick guitar harmonies and dancing arpeggios are appealing, but the singing is uneven and the songs often get stuck in a rut. This album does a bit better job of mixing up the song structures, but it also devolves into blast beats more often, and it doesn’t really have any standout songs in my opinion. The Symphony X album, while a bit cheesy in places, is also chock full of proggy neoclassical goodness, which is a personal soft spot for me. Sorry, @Perun, but @Lampwick 43 ’s nominee takes this one pretty easily. Winner: Symphony X

Overkill - I only have Under The Influence, which I like, so I'm unfamiliar with this album. This track sounds more Maiden/Priesty than I was expecting, similar to Show No Mercy. Will definitely check out more.

Black Sabbath - Blaze ripped off this intro for Stare at the Sun. Main riff and verses are good, and the tempo change gets the head nodding.

Black Sabbath with the win

Motorhead - I'm not the biggest Motorhead fan in the world, have all the classic albums plus a few of the later ones. This is one of the later albums I have, it's been a long while since I listened to it, but my memories are, it and March or Die were more to my tastes than the classic line up albums. A quick look at the track list on wiki and Going to Brazil and R.A.M.O.N.E.S. are tracks that I immediately remember.

Opeth - opinion given before

Motorhead with the win

Hellfire - Never heard of these, Cliff Burton bass sound in the intro, head nodding for the riff, just spotted the year, so revivalists rather than original, but pretty good. Change to the faster tempo is good, with the Maideny harmony.

Iced Earth - Intro far too long, some good melodies, vocal delivery a bit too earnest and corny

Hellfire with the win

Primordial - this is pretty good, what I like about Primordial without any of the stuff that usually appears unannounced to spoil the party. More variety and dynamics than the usual trance-like groove.

Symphony X - First bit kinda of Marilliony until the heavy guitar comes in, verse pretty terrible, corny delivery and actually using the phrase "slaying dragons", just not the music I have any interest in

Primordial with the win

None of the matchups are blowouts, and some are quite close! Come! Vote! Participate! Enjoy!

Back