GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Evergrey was good, but Nuclear Assault was better. They won because they were a thrash band with good vocals, and that's just what I needed this morning.

You know, @Magnus, you've nominated a broad spread of albums and some of them have had pretty significant success so far! That's pretty cool.

NWFTreal.jpg

Coheed and Cambria - No World For Tomorrow (2007)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @mckindog
League 10 - Match 1vs.
Nightmare_logic_cover.jpg

Power Trip - Nightmare Logic (2017)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Whooten
Previous Rounds:
League 13: Defeated Katatonia - Brave Murder Day 13-8.
League 12: Defeated Amputated - Wading Through Rancid Offal 23-3.
League 11: Defeated Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar 22-4.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dream_Theater_Distance_Over_Time.png

Dream Theater - Distance Over Time (2019)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Lampwick 43
League 10 - Match 2vs.
Atlantean-Kodex_Course-of-Empire-300x300.jpg

Atlantean Kodex - The Course of Empire (2019)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Perun
Previous Rounds:
League 12: Defeated Death - The Sound of Perseverance 16-10.
League 11: Defeated Therapy? - Troublegum 16-10.

cover_11267122016_r.jpg
1602476333069.png
Dark Millenium - Read Diana Peace (1993)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Magnus
League 10 - Match 3vs.
Combat_KIMB.jpg

Megadeth - Killing Is My Business... and Business Is Good! (1985)
How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 85
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Evanescence - Fallen 22-6.
League 16: Defeated Helmet - Meantime 22-2.
League 15: Defeated Jason Becker - Perpetual Burn 20-5.
League 14: Defeated Fear Factory - Demanufacture 19-3.
League 13: Defeated Grand Magus - Triumph and Power 12-10.
League 12: Defeated Between the Buried and Me - Colors 21-5.
League 11: Defeated Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant 17-9.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Art_of_Partying.jpg

Municipal Waste - The Art of Partying (2007)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @phantomoftheicarus
League 10 - Match 4vs.
Buckethead_-_crime_slunk_scene.jpg

Buckethead - Crime Slunk Scene (2006)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Diesel 11
Previous Rounds:
League 12: Defeated Primordial - Where Greater Men Have Fallen 15-10.
League 11: Defeated Hypocrisy - Abducted 19-7.

In League 11, 8 new albums won their matchups.
The oldest albums in the tournament are Killing Is My Business and The Real Thing, from League 17.
The last League 16 album was kicked out in the final round.
3 League 15 albums are hanging on. Same for League 14.
League 13 has 7 albums, losing only one in League 11.
9 albums are still in from League 12, down from 14.

Coheed and Cambria - I remember there was a "hit" from these but can't remember what it was called, intro is decent, verse quite busy, vocal decent compared to a lot of the other proggy stuff that's in the game, he's not got the strongest voice but the focus is on the melody not technical exuberance. Not a lot of dynamics to the track though, a short breakdown in the middle and a few bars of an instrumental section to the end are the only bit of variety

Power Trip - opinion given before

Power Trip
with the win

Dream Theatre - Not a fan of these, have a few albums that never clicked with me, the intro is good sounds like Metallica ripping off Sucking My Love again, keys and vocals do nothing for me and the guitar underneath is an ok riff but doesn't fit there, acoustic breakdown part sounds nice, deep purple keys solo sounds a lot better than the keys earlier in the song, Yngwie Malmsteen outro is good too, but it seems more a collection of different decent musical sections shoe horned together than a coherent song

Atlantean Kodex - opinion given before

Atlantean Kodex with the win

Dark Millennium - Intro nice chord sequence, the out of tune blues riffs are bizarre, actually lots of parts sound out of key I presume deliberately but it isn't working for me

Megadeth - opinion given before

Megadeth with the win

Municipal Waste - retro thrash revivalists, I prefer to listen to the originals, but decent enough

Buckethead - opinion given before

Municipal Waste with the win

Coheed and Cambria gets the award for "Most silly bandname". Their music isn't that bad but I don't like the vocals at all.
Not enough power for this type of music and the song presented here is generic at best.
Powertrip on the other hand has enough power but can't make me trip. The vocals are, like I've said many times before, a huge turnoff.
C&C wins by default.

Atlantean Kodex is a nice discovery on this GMAC and I'm certainly going to listen to them more in the future.
Too bad they're facing Dream Theater in this round, one of my alltime favorite bands.

In the mid 90's I found this Dark Millennium album in the bargain bin of a recordstore. Unfortunately it never grabbed me and it went, together with a bunch of other "too low rated" albums to the second handstore. @Magnus will probably say it's my loss. Ironically I recognized the chorus of this song so I must've listened to it more than once. The part starting from 1:57 followed by the distorted riffs is beautiful though. Maybe it was my loss afterall...
When it comes to Megadeth I prefer RIP and CTE.
Surprise: I'm voting for Dark Millennium!

Municipal Waste (of my time). Decent trash metal but Buckethead sounds way more interesting to me.

Last edited:
There are going to be some great Dream Theater albums in this game, Distance Over Time is not one of them.

Hope Power Trip continues its path of destruction. Seeing it do so well in this game has been heartening.

The Megadeth album should’ve left in round 1, it’ll probably squeak through again but I dig the Dark Millennium stuff.

Buckethead = classic
The Art of Partying isn’t bad but it’s somewhat forgettable and I don’t think it really has much to offer this game.

Damn, I definitely didn't expect to see a Coheed and Cambria album show up here but I'm happy it's this one! I love this record (and the one that precedes it). Definitely metal-adjacent, but this band is so fucking goofy and catchy and I adore them. This album rules and is probably their proggiest/most metal. Random fact: Chris Pennie from Dillinger Escape Plan wrote the original drum parts but couldn't record due to contract issues so they filled in with Taylor Hawkins. Gravemakers and Gunslingers is a fucking rad tune, too. Easy win for C&C over the incredibly recycled, yet competent music Power Trip put out.

I haven't sat with this album (or the other Kodex albums) long enough for it to beat a workable, solid Dream Theater offering.

Dark Millennium is really interesting but the vocals are bad enough to lose this one (yes, even to Dave Mustaine). This sounds like if The Cure decided to make a metal album. It's messed up and dark as hell, but the mixing and vocals are just real, real bad.

Any random 10 seconds of that Buckethead album are better than the entire Municipal Waste effort.

Glad to see the Art of Partying here. I actually like that album so much I had to double check to see if I nominated it ahaha.

Back