GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

What, was that the same dude?
Simen Hestnæs does lead vocals on The Chaos Path and some backing vocals on Master of Disguise and Painting My Horror. Otherwise it's Garm. I can't guess who reminds you of a female opera singer though, Simen maybe?

Simen Hestnæs does lead vocals on The Chaos Path and some backing vocals on Master of Disguise and Painting My Horror. Otherwise it's Garm. I can't guess who reminds you of a female opera singer though, Simen maybe?
The Chaos Path at around 4:50 sounds like one to me, or maybe a convincing synth sample. Painting My Horror sounded a bit like it in the middle, especially at 3:25, but listening to that part again it’s probably Simen.

Diesel advertised Ahab so much that TCOTWS became one of the only albums I tried solely due to recommendations from the forum. For the purpose of this message...this game doesn't exist. :D

Iron Maiden defeats Arcturus, who are eliminated. It's Rammstein next.
Rush ends Coroner's sole GMAC run. Next up is Primordial.
Primordial fairly easy eliminates Delain. They're against Amorphis in the next League.
Finally, the Wretched Sea is no match for Permanent Waves, as Rush deep sixes Ahab. They'll face Rush next.

What’d you think?
I like it, but It's just so lengthy, it took me multiple tries to reach the end. I began only caring for Below the Sun but the following 2 tracks eventually grew on me.

And again, the second half I've heard much much less as I was usually satisfied by the time Old Thunder ended. When I did, it was good (otherwise I wouldn't continue :P), but I don't think I can make a full assessment.

Iron Maiden defeats Arcturus, who are eliminated. It's Rammstein next.

I'm not following this enough to know what Rammstein album it's up against, if it's one of the better ones it could wipe the floor with Dance of Death (finally)

I like it, but It's just so lengthy, it took me multiple tries to reach the end. I began only caring for Below the Sun but the following 2 tracks eventually grew on me.

And again, the second half I've heard much much less as I was usually satisfied by the time Old Thunder ended. When I did, it was good (otherwise I wouldn't continue :p), but I don't think I can make a full assessment.
Here’s the thing: when I first started getting into Ahab, they were slower than anything I’d ever heard up to that point. Listening to them usually just consisted of spinning Below The Sun. When I first sat through the whole album, I didn’t even finish it. It was the kind of thing where, while I liked what I was listening to, it was just so slow and heavy that I couldn’t grasp it well enough. It took a solid while before I finally listened to the whole thing in one sitting and could really process it all. But it was more than worth it. The album was definitely a grower for me, and of course you all know how much I love it nowadays.

Evergrey are a band I've never really got around to listening to, or not a lot of their music anyway, although some of the Katatonia crowd swear by them. Some really nice songs on this album. I'll definitely listen to more, even if one or two tracks have bit of a radio friendly sound to them. Definitely more my thing than Nuclear Assault.

Back