GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Wasn't in the mood for this AiC, Nostradamus.

Hammerfall was unmemorable.

Helloween was mostly fine with really bad production, and even then I prefered 7 Sinners. As Long as I Fall was very good however :ok: Borknagar wasn't stunning either but I find them more interesting and they get the vote.

Lastly, Papa Roach was a lot better than people sold it to be. If they were correct, I'd hate as much as I hated Korn, but everything here looks fine. The guitars are being guitars. The only big 'unconventional' thing I noticed is the rapping, so I don't see anything wrong here whatsoever. I wouldn't listen to it often, I admit that, but it's pretty good!

Sadly B.E.E will continue their undeserved winning streak. Lucky draws for them. Lucky that they draw people who actually think this borefest is better than THE FUCKING SOLO ON FLOODS!!! :nuts2::nuts2:

Are you sure you didn't set your speakers to mono like @Midnight?
You're right, it's just the effects on the vocals that throw me off (like on the pre-chorus of Kill It). They reminded me on all the effects Dream Theater used on LaBrie for Distance Over Time...
Also, As Long As I Fall is 2nd worst song on the album :facepalm:
As long as I don't listen to the rest of the album, I won't know :D

A very strong AiC offering easily beats a mediocre Priest album.

Rainbow outclasses HammerFall in every way.

The third match could go either way. I'll give the edge to Helloween, but I won't be disappointed to see Borknagar move on.

And voting for W.A.S.P., but I'm not thrilled about it.

Judas Priest has defeated Alice in Chains. AIC is back in League 7.
Rainbow brings the hammer down on HammerFall, who are eliminated. We'll see Rainbow vs. Death in the next League.
Borknagar comes from behind to beat Helloween. The power metal stalwarts have their three best known albums left - next in League 4.
If Papa Roach has an infestation, it's a big W.A.S.P. That's it for the nu-metal act, and it's Mekong Delta next.

La_Masquerade_Infernale.jpg

Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale (1997)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @Magnus
League 11 - Match 29vs.
Iron_Maiden-Dance_of_Death.jpg

Iron Maiden - Dance of Death (2003)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Black Wizard
Previous Rounds:
League 14: Defeated King Diamond - Conspiracy 21-9.
League 13: Defeated Samson - Head On 21-6.
League 12: Defeated Ghost - Prequelle 15-7.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rush_Counterparts.jpg

Rush - Counterparts (1993)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @matic22
League 11 - Match 30vs.
Coroner_punishment_LP.jpg

Coroner - Punishment For Decadence (1988)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 60
Previous Rounds:
League 16: Defeated Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten 17-5.
League 15: Defeated Lacrimosa - Elodia 13-6.
League 14: Defeated Luca Lurilli - Prophet of the Last Eclipse 15-13.
League 13: Defeated Killswitch Engage - The End of Heartache 17-7.
League 12: Defeated Angel City - Face to Face 14-7.

The_Human_Contradiction_%282014%29_-_Delain.jpg

Delain - The Human Contradiction (2014)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Black Wizard
League 11 - Match 31vs.
Primordial-spirit.jpg

Primordial - Spirit the Earth Aflame (2000)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Magnus
Previous Rounds:
League 13: Defeated Dark Angel - Darkness Descends 14-10.
League 12: Defeated Godsmack - Faceless 16-4.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ahab_The_call_of_the_wretched_sea.jpg

Ahab - The Call of the Wretched Sea (2006)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Diesel 11
League 11 - Match 32vs.
Rush_Permanent_Waves.jpg

Rush - Permanent Waves (1980)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @mckindog
Previous Rounds:
League 12: Defeated Running Wild - Black Hand Inn 14-7.

How many times will Dance of Death squeak through? At least one more! Arcturus have something interesting going on, but the production is even worse than Dance of Death and I got a little bored, honestly.

One of these albums is super metal and I don't like it at all. One of these albums is Rush.

I abhor Charlotte Wessels' vocal tone and I will actually vote for a band whose vocalist is sometimes off-key. Primordial.

Ahab is really cool. The atmosphere it produces is awesome. Permanent Waves is better.

Goddamn, Ahab against Rush, that’s going to be tough. I think @Jer may prefer the harsh vocals here since they work as an extra instrument, but I doubt that a slow doom record will be the kinda thing he’ll vote over one of his favorite bands.

The Call Of The Wretched Sea is my second favorite album ever, only beaten by The Chemical Wedding. It’s a perfect retelling of Moby Dick and brings so much atmosphere, so much tension to the story. It’s slow and takes time to really get into, but damn, it’s so perfect in every way, from the opening notes to the interludium to the finale. So many great moments (“WHALE AHEAD!” for instance in The Hunt), and so perfectly written. The guitars create a sea of doom, the drumming is huge. It’s such a good album I can’t speak highly enough about it.

The one thing I can say is that at least some more people will have heard one of the best pieces of recorded music now. Whether they take it over Rush... that’s another story.

Arcturus - synth sounds ok, drums and guitar sound shit though

Iron Maiden - shit overrated band, only listened to by cunts

Iron Maiden
with the win

Rush - another vid that won't play for me, I'm not familiar with this album so have picked the first track from youtube, You realise how good the drums are on that verse where the guitar and bass are playing just a simple riff in unison, he's not playing anything flashy but is still filling out the space that the simple music is leaving

Coroner - opinion given before

Rush with the win

Delain - never heard of these, intro sounds like an ad for Ice Cream, riff sounds like Bruce solo, not bad but it's nearly 3 mins in and I'm still waiting for the hook, no real structure or climax to the song

Primordial - intro sounds alright but the build up is mixed so bad it isn't actually building up, vocal ok when it comes in but very pretentious delivery as usual, Averill I imagine sees himself as some sort of James Joyce character, comes across more like Morrissey having a Goth phase

Primordial
with the win

Ahab - running time doesn't fill me with hope, when it eventually kicks in it's the Raining Blood bridge, vocal one of the worst there's been in the game. then there's a verse that sounds like "fee-fi-fo-fum", there's some good guitar melodies sprinkled through out the track but otherwise it's offering nothing, it's about the same running time as the Angel and the Gambler with far less happening. You get the vibe the song is winding down around 8 and a half mins and then there's still 1/6th of the song left

Rush - I don't have this album as said in the last round but yet again the song is one I'm familiar with.

Rush with the win

^Unfortunately, half of said brigade apparently chose to support a pretty mediocre Maiden album instead of a genuine masterpiece of music but hey, that's Maiden fanboys - and girls - for you...
:p

Back