GAMES DISCUSSION - submissions welcome!

Opeth referendum?

• Total voters
I'd be up for that if there was enough interest. I'd rather host Mastodon though :p

w00t! I've just started listening to Mastodon for this concert and honestly, I just don't really dig 'em. I find nothing terribly bad about their music, but it just all sounds kind of similar to me. Plus, whichever one of the singers sounds like Ozzy really drives me crazy.

I like Clutch :edmetal:

That makes 3 people for Clutch, anyone else?!

Alrighty! I'm going to start pulling things together for the music video survivor - it'll probably still take me months to plan it all - and start up a thread in the next week or so asking for nominations. I've got several different versions of the game worked out, depending on the number of videos put forward, but I hope to keep it down to small rounds, so nobody has to plough through a load of videos in order to vote. Full rules to follow.

Survivor gurus - expect a PM asking a couple of questions. :D

Are we talking only metal videos from the past, 10-20-30 years?? or are we talking 70's 80s , 90s rock/pop (just so we know what to look out for in the nominations)

So WoE will be followed by a game called Battle of Covers (cover as in a band covering another band's song, not album art).

Haven't decided on the format yet, so need feedback on that. More free flowing format like TSS or more strict like WoE? Or any other ideas?

My advice would depend on how soon you wish to eliminate and on "estimated popularity".

If you estimate that there is a relatively large amount of songs being candidates for doing (very) well in the game (which could be a reason for a longer, more careful game), I'd consider a tournament with not too quick elimination, but you can go into several directions with a tournament.

If you think there's a small(er) group of (clear) favourites sticking out above the rest, you could go for faster elimination a la Tournament of Instrumentals/WoE etc.

If you find it hard to predict how certain songs will do, then it might not matter that much and then I advice you to choose a format of your liking. :)

New rule which I'm gonna implement for Survivors starting from Nightwish (coming soon!):

No more unlimited voting! During album rounds you will only be able to vote for maximally half of the songs in the poll. So 16 songs - 8 votes. Or in case of odd numbers like 13, 6 votes (so the lesser number).

Reason? Makes it a bit harder to vote and makes you pick your votes more carefully instead of just voting for everything you don't like at the same time.

Sometime late this year or early next year, I'm gonna host a game called Metal Armageddon. It's gonna retain the WoE format in terms of user participation, but it's gonna have twice as many songs of any length. This time y'all can pick your most competitive lists. It's gonna be br00tal :edmetal: I'm gonna host it after SMX finishes his Metal songs game, since the material is gonna clash and he thought of his game first :)

It's not set in stone yet, but I might allow only bands that have a Metal Archives page. Which would then make some borderline stuff like Deep Purple, Rainbow and Rush eligible. Anyway, name stays even if it's incorrect :p

You could go by Dark Lyrics pages. I know that includes Rainbow but excludes Deep Purple and Rush. But it will also exclude hair metal bands, and they had some good covers now and then. (Crue's "Smokin" being the most essential.)

Uh, you have this game confused with Battle of Covers, and I already have the list for that game, including that Crüe song :)

CHEESEVIVÖR II will begin one week from now, on 3. July.

Poster_zpssdtainjb.png

Back