Game Of Thrones

Hi, I'm late to this party. I'm not using spoiler tags as it's been a year since the season ended. Y'all can deal.

So I recently decided to binge Game of Thrones. I promised a friend that if he watched some wrestling with me that I'd watch some Game of Thrones with him. I enjoyed what I saw, so I kept going. And then as the quality dropped off (shockingly so), I kept watching out of a desire to see how bad it really got. And it got...really, really bad.

I don't know how to organize my thoughts. Season by season? Character by character?

Well, I'll sound like a Captain Hindsight, but I must say this: after first two episode of last season, I smelled this will turn into shit-fest.

With so many ongoing plots in previous seasons, they spend 2 out of 6 episodes on... what exactly? Also, it seemed like a done deal what will happen in the third one and there were even ongoing polls, bets and so on about... you know, who will end it. WTF?!

OK, it may be that I've expected that plot to end in the last two episode instead in the middle of the season. However, after first two episode I was like: OK, don't care much, let's see how it ends.Now, I'm glad I've taken that approached since the web demanded D&D's heads on spikes when the series ended.

Wait until you see the zombie attack episode. Absolute trash.
Oh, I've seen it all when it came out. It's just that I'm a year late with a comment.
Haven't you said you'll do a season by season organized thoughts wrap-up? It would be fun to remind myself on certain bits. (Mind you, every season except last one, I've re-watched 3-4 times).
Also, spoiler tags are off, right?

Man, amazing how this still pisses me off. So many amazing possibilities and all shat on. Bran, crap, hound vs mountain, crap, john snows lineage, crap, Dani, crap, Brienne and Kingslayer, crap, All of them crap, crap, crap. GRR martin needs to get on it and finish it his way and better make it worth it, there is even MORE pressure on him now considering how the show just...fucking... SHAT... on... EVERYTHING in just "TWO fucking seasons. I use the quotes because they claimed there wasn't enough for two 10 episode seasons so they split it into two 7 or so episodes yet every fucking episode was like 2 fucking hours. Not enough? NOT ENOUGH!? STICK TO YOUR FUCKING 45 MINUTE RUN TIME DUMBASSES! Ok.. I seriously need to stop hear because it is seriously upsetting me.

I tend to think this showdown was among the things they pulled off rather well.

Considering other face-offs like Mountain vs. jumpy guy with poisoned spear and John Snow vs Bastard Ramsey.... it had big shoes to fill. It's hard to follow those acts. While I liked it at the time, I now realize it was only enjoyable considering all the other crap surrounding it. You know, Dany going Dragon-shit, The Lannisters hugging it out and everything else.

I always thought she would go off the rails.

Many did. Both on this board and on several articles it was mentioned that it was forshadowed since season one and re-enforced through certain actions, but the turn was so poorly executed it felt not so much out of nowhere, but all to easy and sudden a la Anakin.

Considering other face-offs like Mountain vs. jumpy guy with poisoned spear and John Snow vs Bastard Ramsey....
While the former was great, I don't put the latter in the same category, because the fight was not direct.
I always thought she would go off the rails.
...like a crazy train? ;)
Besides, I truly pity those who have called their daughter "Danny" or "Daenerys" before the last season. It must feel like calling your son Adolf based on Hitler's career as a painter...

I've met a few women named Salome and Jezabelle. I had a coworker whose name is Rahab and when I asked her what it meant she just said, "My grandmother gave me that name, she's a whore in the old testament." Soooo.... could've been worse lol

Many did. Both on this board and on several articles it was mentioned that it was forshadowed since season one and re-enforced through certain actions, but the turn was so poorly executed it felt not so much out of nowhere, but all to easy and sudden a la Anakin.
I can't disagree with that.

I suppose it comes of there being nobody 'nice' in the entire story. The less-then-evil evil ones seem enormously virtuous by comparison. It always looked like Targaryen madness was a real possibility. Maybe they should have played on that descent into madness a bit more. Let her get on that throne and start shouting "Burn them all."

I think Hound VS Mountain was OK considering the fact that public was overhyping that for some years before that.

I'll repeat, when second episode of last season ended, I already lowered my expectation so the all the resolves after that didn't bother me that much. And even if the third episode was BIG, I still felt... cheated?! IDK, maybe because my expectations for the season had a different pace in my head, but man, the whole deal with the Night King and all that accompanied that, yes, I'll use @Onhell 's words: CRAP. I didn't felt like that watching a TV show since the finale of LOST.

I've made a few paragraphs of notes on this, but I'm having a hard time arranging it skillfully into a season by season breakdown.

I can't disagree with that.

I suppose it comes of there being nobody 'nice' in the entire story. The less-then-evil evil ones seem enormously virtuous by comparison. It always looked like Targaryen madness was a real possibility. Maybe they should have played on that descent into madness a bit more. Let her get on that throne and start shouting "Burn them all."

Also, because they liked Daenerys and she was a popular character, they IMHO tried to make her more likable. Same with Tyrion. I can't tell any particularities, because I don't remember now, but when I first watched the series I had the books pretty well in my memory and I remember feeling as if they somewhat lessened the ambiguity of the characters and tried to turn them into "heroes".
(Actually, I recall one instance - in the books Tyrion lies to himself about Shae, making himself believe she's actually in love with him and then murders her in a fit of jealous rage when he finds her in his father's bedchamber. In the show she actually tries to stab him, IIRC and he kills her in self defense - that's quite a shift, methinks).

It was the opposite with Stannis - D&D all but admitted they really didn't like the character, so they turned him into "a villain of sorts." Shame, cause he was (and still is) one of my favourite characters in the book. While not really a pleasant character (and he's flawed like everyone), he is the most well-read of the Baratheon characters (which, BTW is almost always a hint from Martin) who indeed thinks of his duties and gets a fiendish devotion from most of his subjects, which starts to make sense as you go throughout the books. And he hasn't burnt his daughter so far in the books (and it's pretty inconceivable from his current state of mind, I'd say, but I might be mistaken).

Like, I get it you must streamline it a little if you want it to fit a TV show... but sometimes it's downright retarded, like with the books vs. show approach to religion. Now, Martin is himself an atheist/agnostic and he show's all faiths mostly warts and all, reeally ugly in places, but he also shows the war-ridden, broken world where mostly the corrupt and sleazy patricians are mostly fine whereas the peasants bear the brunt of it all - which gives to rise in the more cathegoric, fundamentalist movement of the Sparrows and reconstruction of Faith Militant.
The show brought this down into an always-evil, pseudo-Catholicky/alt-righty heteronormative crusade. Not surprising, but still stupid.

Also, just look how Ned's death (which is a rather small ripple in the grand scheme of things) turns the whole kingdom into chaos and how consequences of that execution still have their payhoff three books/seasons later. In contrast, blowing up what the writers perceive to be a Vatican of sorts including the main root one of the most popular Westerosi houses (Tyrells) has no repercussions? No reaction whatsoever? In this pseudo-medieval society?

Also, effin' Dorne. Dorne. Behold and weep:

There's more but I got to go "break my fast" with wifey and son. I might comment on this later. Just wanted to put this here - maybe someone already did, I'm too lazy to check but this is, like, the most accurate assessment of the show I've seen so far

got.jpg

Last edited:
Back