Forostar's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs

Re: Forostar's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs -> #19

Ha, that's a cool coincidence indeed!

To Tame the Temperature!  :D

Re: Forostar's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs: #19

The dual guitar intro on 'The Evil' is is another of those Maiden moments that always sends shivers as well.  TETMD has it all. I also have always enjoyed Bruces' delivery here.  "Balancing on a ledge, Yeah!" And that "Spinning" guitar riff that shows up a few times, outstanding song.  Great placement in the Matter of Life and death set list as well.  The familiar intro of the Evil' sends the live audience into a frenzy!  Great choice.

Forostar said:
Interesting harrisdevot. I knew some composer was involved but didn't know it was Albeniz.

It's a pretty well-known piece actually, Asturias. It's arranged to the guitar by Andres Segovia.

Tame is an epic track, but for me in the second tier of epics. (Predictably) I prefer the last parts to the main verses.  :D
73, which seems low, but I don't see many songs ahead of it that I'd push it past.
(I wonder how many changes my list would have just a year later, probably some fairly significant ones, since so many songs are so close)

Evil is definitely among their best rockers and live tracks. Number 14 for me (probably our closest comparisons in a while)

Great choice, To Tame A Land is my second favorite from Piece Of Mind and almost top ten worthy. The Evil That Men Do is a great track, it's in my top 30.

Re: Forostar's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs: #18

bornless1 said:
"Balancing on a ledge, Yeah!"

Best part I guess! :rocker:

bornless1 said:
The familiar intro of the Evil' sends the live audience into a frenzy!

Agreed. Always a special moment in the set.

@mckindog; I am curious about changes in your list. I noticed more that often that you thought a track seemed low. (almost like you were doubting a bit ;) ) Let's see if one of the next songs will be closer than "The Evil"...

@Vap; I wish to react but I don't wan't to reveal too much yet. :)

No. 18 - Brave New World (see first post for 50-18)
(Murray/Harris/Dickinson, 2000 -> on stage-status: last time in 2010)

This one is the first real showcase of the three guitar Maiden line-up. When the couplets start you get the idea:

- Dave keeps playing those melodic chords (taa-taa-daaaaaa), following his intro melody
- Janick does the lead melody
- Adrian is the riff master

A brilliant intro, I never forget the first time I heard it: on the Maiden site, before the album was out, when the first three songs were shared with the fans. The instrumental mid piece is brilliant, a really fine harmony, in which H switches to a higher note in the second half. The best solo is Dave's. Beyond this world stuff! :shred:

Brave New World is really up there in the high rankings for me as well. A masterpiece, with some really stirring lyrics as well ("Dying swans, twisted wings, beauty not needed here"...its stuff Shakespeare would be proud of). The only problem that I have with it is that it makes me rather melancholy so I seldom listen to it on its own but prefer to hear it when knowing that Blood Brothers is next on the album. Which isn't really a bad thing, just why it doesn't have as many listens as perhaps it should.

'Brave New World' is certainly a quality song. Good choice Forostar, I'm glad to see it so high up. :ok:

Foro, it seems like every time you pull out a song that was in the 50-90 range for me I would doubt my rankings.
I'd go "that's a great track, it deserves to be that high."

The trouble is, Maiden has so many excellent songs, the difference between my lowest 8s and my highest 9s is about 70 places in the rankings.
— from a letter grade standpoint there are so many low As and high Bs I figure there are about 70 tracks I could make a case for fitting in my top 30.

Ranking my top 20 is a little easier however, and your number 18 has definitely been in there for a decade.

Beautiful opening — beautiful melody, period. Nothing gets the bleachers bouncing like the chorus, the solos are orgasmic, Bruce and Nicko are spot on. Perfectly mixed, perfectly performed with a blend of power and emotion…everything works.

Brave New World is number eight on my list.

Another great pick! Songs like this are why Brave New World is my second favorite Maiden album.

A bit high for me, i think its a great song and i think its one of my higher 8s (thus making it mid table) something about the sound on brave new world really doesnt excite me and gets tiring for me

I like Brave new World a lot.  Again, the memories.  The anticipation, then the satisfaction that the band was back together and hadn't skipped a beat.  For me at first BNW the song took a back seat on the album, way behind  the Nomad and Wicker man.  BNW was a bit of a grower actually.  It still is mid album for me, but is an outstanding song.  Probably 50-55 all time.

Nice pick! I use to not think much of this song till I recently gave i another listen, and yes! the intro is beautiful.  :wub:

Forostar's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs: #17

Hi everyone,

mckindog said:
Ranking my top 20 is a little easier however, and your number 18 has definitely been in there for a decade.

Ranking my top 20 is damn difficult. I really have trouble with picking no. 17.
Feels kinda like killing one of "my" darlings. Sorry for the delay. Looks like this is not going to be finished in 2011. ::)

edit:
Alright then, what the heck, here goes:

No. 17 - Blood on the World's Hands (see first post for 50-17)
(Harris, 1995 -> on stage-status: last time in 1996)

Blood on the World's Hands: Most of all, this song is one big evil motherfucking riff feast.

The bass intro is atmospheric and dynamic at the same time, and functions as a warning sign. Nicko's rhythm is pretty unique, contributing to the proggy nature of this track. This eastern flavour to some of the riffs and melodies are really grabbing me. The synth helps making it one of Maiden's most threatening songs.

Actually: I don't think Maiden's music ever fitted better to its lyrics (or the other way around).

The solos belong to the best Maiden have ever done and this is also Blaze's best performance.
He tears it all open, I can see the fire burning in his eyes while listening to his menacing delivery.
He does those high notes incredibly well. Just love it! This is for me the Blaze-era song that I would like to hear live again, but I am not sure how Bruce would deliver this.

By the way, I noticed that Steve borrowed some of this music as inspiration for "For the Greater Good of God". Compare:

"Blood on the World's Hands" --> 1.47-2.04 and 5.23-end
with:
"For the Greater Good of God" --> 6.02-6.16 and 6.30-6.44

Not sure if everyone knows this, but this song almost became (inspiration for) the title track of the album:

I remember that Nicko McBrain was interview in 1995 @ MTV's Headbanger's Ball. He got a question about the title "The X-Factor". He said that the band had different ideas before they came up with this title.

One of them was "Bloody World's Hands" (naturally coming from "Blood On The World's Hands"). He might have mentioned another option, but I'm not sure about it, at least I don't remember it.

Re: Forostar's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs: #17

I love Blood On The World's Hands. One of the best The X Factor songs.

There it is. Figured this one was going to pop up soon.
Talked about it in more detail on the daily song thread, but while I respect the song, it just doesn't emotionally engage me.
Not one of my favourites. 137

Unusual pick, good choice. One of the better ones from the X-Factor no doubt (my favorite being The Edge of Darkness)

The song is fucking powerful live, just watch this:

Mmmm Hmmmm here is a zinger.  An evil Riff feast?  Yes it is.  I will agree with that.  Interesting bit about this being  inspiration for an alternate title.  I wish it were.  The x factor title and the awful artwork  are the worst Maiden have ever offered in my opinion. Blood on the Worlds hands is a monster, musically.  No comment on the vocals.

17. Blood on the World's Hands
18. Brave New World
19. The Evil That Men Do
20. To Tame a Land
21. Transylvania
22. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
23. The Clairvoyant
24  Hallowed Be Thy Name

Hmm. Since quite a few (myself included) regard HBTN quite highly, it's interesting to see what, so far, has ranked above it.

Evil really is cracking; so no argument there. The Clairvoyant I really like, but better than HBTN? I suppose the issue (for me) is not really the high positioning of some of these tracks, just the low position of Hallowed. To Tame a Land is good. But I don't think it's exceptional; although the book is. BotWH: 17th best Maiden song? Hmm, I don't think it's that special. BNW: the lyrics are damn fine. And, Long Distance Runner, like almost everything on SiT, is damn good.

Still a fine Top 50 so far Forostar:D

CriedWhenBrucieLeft said:
BotWH: 17th best Maiden song? Hmm, I don't think it's that special.

I do. As explained, I see a lot of special things.

CriedWhenBrucieLeft said:
Still a fine Top 50 so far Forostar! :D

Thank you! I agree! :)

bornless1 said:
Blood on the Worlds hands is a monster, musically.

So are "the world's hands" at times.

bornless1 said:
No comment on the vocals.

Like Blaze or not, his performance in this song is too good to ignore imo.

SixesAlltheway said:
Unusual pick, good choice. One of the better ones from the X-Factor no doubt (my favorite being The Edge of Darkness)

The song is fucking powerful live, just watch this:

Cheers! I am glad I have seen this song live. The power and the threatening atmosphere coming from it is indeed tremendous and that link provides us the best live video out there.

mckindog said:
There it is. Figured this one was going to pop up soon.
Talked about it in more detail on the daily song thread, but while I respect the song, it just doesn't emotionally engage me.
Not one of my favourites. 137

I read you quickly get enough of it and that's too bad because imo it only gets better and better. The mid section has a great build-up and solos and finishes dramatically when Blaze joins Janick in a heartfelt melody.

Vap said:
I love Blood On The World's Hands. One of the best The X Factor songs.

Hell yes!

Back