Forostar's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs

Re: Forostar's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs

You and I have very different tastes clearly Foro, both those are in my top10  :p

I agree with your statements, DoD has some fantastic moments.. which is why it places higher for me, I guess the difference for us is not in these songs but the ones you have placed higher  ;)

Hallowed... I agree completely, the live versions are SOOO much better musically. The vocals are better in some places live (he extends the last word of the verses a fair bit) but worse in others (almost sounds strained at times). I've included live feeling when trying to make rankings (not that I have more than top10!), the legacy is one that never really hit me until I saw it live for instance. For that reason it gets much higher for me  ;)

Forostar said:
No. 24 - Hallowed Be Thy Name
(Harris, 1982 -> on stage-status: last time in 2011)

I do not list this epic stage monument in my own top 10 of Maiden songs because I find it -apart from the vocals- worse than most live versions. It's kinda slow, and the intro seems unnaturally faster. I am not much over the moon with Adrian's leadwork on The Number of the Beast and his delivery on Hallowed I find no exception. Nonetheless this song features Bruce's best singing, we get some great guitar harmonies with a strong rhythm underneath.

*runs to evade rotten apples*

*Chucks rotten apple* Witchcraft! Blasphemy! Stone the heretic!

I kid, I kid. I'd have it higher in all likelihood, but nice to see a list that doesn't have Hallowed in the top 5 for once. And Dance of Death is an excellent song, another good choice.  :ok:

You're a brave man Forostar (--& cheers for the comments regarding previous posts by yours truly; reading back, it's not surprising you thought the Navigator post was toned down after your rebuke --but I genuinely hadn't read it!  :))

DoD, for me, really highlights what Janick has brought to Maiden. Just think of the whole feel of songs like DoD, The Legacy & The Talisman (& to a lesser extent Como Estais Amigo, The Pilgrim & The Alchemist). I know they were co-written with Steve, but you get the impression the sound is all Janick's, and Steve just helped with the construction of these tracks. They've got that folky ("fairytale" as Steve states) feel which just wouldn't feature in the Maiden catalogue if it weren't for Janick. Thinking about that kind of feel/sound (& contradicting myself in the process!), I often thought Janick might have influenced (although I have no evidence whatsoever to support this) Steve in the writing of FotD. It sort of fits (or at least the beginning does) with these tracks, I think.

HBTN at #24 --what can one say in response to this?  :D

I suppose it really lives off its live reputation; the album track isn't really very good, in comparison. H's lead is, as you state, pants. I've said here before, in defence of Janick's sloppy live solo work, that I think his solo in HBTN is better (or at least more exhilarating) than the album version. I love the little flurry Janick puts to the final part of the second solo. That aside, I'd place it higher than #24; but, admittedly, I can't really say why. Musically, I suppose, it's not amazing... what am I saying: I bloody love this song. It would probably be in my top ten.  :lol:

Wow. Hallowed at 24. I agree that there are live versions that top the studio cut, but the NOTB version was there first. This is one of the band's songs that immediately adrenalizes me every single time I hear it. That's almost 30 years of HBTN causing my adrenal gland to go into overdrive... I wonder if that's healthy?

I chuck no apples for the Hallowed placement.  I only had Hallowed in my top ten prior to the reunion era.  It is great, but it has sunk for me in the last decade.  Now onto the other selection:  Dance of Death the song and the album are pure sweet perfection to me.  I never get tired of this album and skip no songs.  DOD the song is everything I love about Maiden.  Melodic Maiden at there best.  The song captivates the listener and Bruce has you in the trees, with the buzz of one drink, and scared to death! 
  With precision and power each band member individually offers a masterpiece here and carries you through an evening among the undead; partying with them one moment, then running from them and the eternal clutches of death in the next. All hail the mighty Dance of Death.  A tad low for me, but respectable at 25.

:bigsmile: I love how you apologize for ranking your 24th best song from the best band in the world so "low"

Hallowed to me is like that rare first love who actually turns out to be your soulmate.
Fell in love with it at 15 and  nearly 30 years later I can't picture ever finding a more perfect match.
Predictably, but unashamedly, my number one song.

DOD would be a similar ranking for me... it's my second favourite off the album...

DOD is another legit top 30 selection, that didn't come in quite that high for me.
It was not one of my favourites when the album first came out, but it has really grown on me, particularly after seeing it live during the last tour.
Can't disagree with your review. Epic track, great atmosphere.
43rd overall (fourth from the DoD album)

I'd have thrown plenty of rotten fruit at a lot of your selections so far, but you explain your opinion so well, that there's no need. It's really great to read!

Forostar said:
No. 24 - Hallowed Be Thy Name
(Harris, 1982 -> on stage-status: last time in 2011)

I do not list this epic stage monument in my own top 10 of Maiden songs because I find it -apart from the vocals- worse than most live versions. It's kinda slow, and the intro seems unnaturally faster. I am not much over the moon with Adrian's leadwork on The Number of the Beast and his delivery on Hallowed I find no exception. Nonetheless this song features Bruce's best singing, we get some great guitar harmonies with a strong rhythm underneath.

*runs to evade rotten apples*

*Throws rocks*

For me personally both of those songs would rank higher than places 24 and 25, respectively. Especially Dance of Death. I very much enjoy the album (and live) versions. With Hallowed, it's a bit like you said, the live versions are much better. So while I might rank the studio version somewhere between #10 and #15, the live version goes much higher, top ten material definitely. And Dance of Death for me is really a highlight from that album, on par with Paschendale and No More Lies.

Acts as a human shield defending this particular opinion*
;) got yer back foro... good choice

Those with rocks in hand,  Let us not forget all 23 songs ahead of Hallowed, MAIDEN songs.  All good with the selection. Hallowed is what it is. A masterpiece that still sends chills live and warrants a volume spin all the way up every time.  But the catalog is so good, that 23 songs are better. That's the comment here, and I'm completely OK with it.    I would personally have DOD a big leap higher, but not my list. 

yeh i overlooked dance of death while defending the hallowed decision but i think DoD is one of the best and im a tad disappointed to see it not make top ten anywhere but i wont lose any sleep... keep it coming foro. waiting for some impressive blasphemies  ;)

Now YOU have a praise for that!  Dance of Death is certainly over looked.  What a journey this song is.  Some Maiden songs completely take over when you listen.  The intro is a song all its own and the waves of melodies keep coming for the duration of the piece.  This song was an instant classic from the first listen and put a huge emphatic exclamation point on the reunion era as a follow up to Brave New World.  Hearing this tune for the first time made me so proud as a Maiden fanatic, and I knew the reunion era was going to match the 'Old Maiden'.  Top ten all the way.

bornless1 said:
Those with rocks in hand,  Let us not forget all 23 songs ahead of Hallowed, MAIDEN songs.  All good with the selection. Hallowed is what it is. A masterpiece that still sends chills live and warrants a volume spin all the way up every time.  But the catalog is so good, that 23 songs are better. That's the comment here, and I'm completely OK with it.    I would personally have DOD a big leap higher, but not my list.  

Rocks in hands? Not now --I think they've thrown them all!  :D

bornless1, let's just see what those 23 are first :)bigsmile:). There are a few 90's tracks unaccounted for --Weekend Warrior, The Apparition, Judas Be My Guide...  :innocent:

Back