Forostar's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs

Re: Forostar's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs

HAHA!  If Weekend Warrior is ahead of Hallowed, I will lease a quarry for a decade and mill enough rocks to do the job!! 

Robbiedbee said:
I'd have thrown plenty of rotten fruit at a lot of your selections so far, but you explain your opinion so well, that there's no need. It's really great to read!

That's a very nice compliment, Robbiedbee. Thank you!

And the others, cheers for your reactions as well. Interesting to read.
On with the next one. As you've noticed, I need quite some time with the selections now. Here we go:

No. 23 - The Clairvoyant
(Harris, 1988 -> on stage-status: last time in 2008)

Such a beautiful track. There's a certain unique atmosphere and it's almost impossible to be unmoved by it.

The bass playing is very grabbing, especially in the parts in the guitar harmonies. That harmony itself is -just as with some other SSOASS-tracks- the crème de la crème of guitar harmonies in the history of hard rock and metal.

The chorus is very powerful, with it's jumpy rhythm, and the lyrics are uncomfortable which makes them exciting:

...I feel a strength an inner fire
but I'm scared I won't be able to control it anymore... *launching into harmony with superb bass pattern*

The Clairvoyant is certainly an overlooked weapon in the SSOASS arsenal.  Powerful and way, way melodic.  This is a fine selection. 

clairvoyants been dropping in my estimations for a while now, as much as its brilliant on paper and i used to worship it... its begun to bore me  :ninja:

No. 22 - The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
(Harris, 1986 -> on stage-status: last time in 1986)

I have read the book for my English list back in the early nineties. Guess why? This song. :)
Still need to see the film, should be good.

Pretty aggressive song with its neat riffs and drums. Nicko really shows some stamina here, playing so fast, so long. The intro is really delicate with a beautiful guitar melody. I like the way Nicko comes in hitting his snare, not using his bass drum before Bruce sings the first word.

During the couplets Dave and Adrian play some nice harmonies, where Adrian in specific plays pretty much on the edge, aggressive, which fits well to the nature of the song.

The less fluent part ("I've got to keep running..") with the more staccato rhythm again fits well to the lyrics.
Listen with headphones how Adrian plays during "win at all costs" (around 3:15). Again this aggressive playing can be heard on the album which is seen as Maiden's most polished one.

Forostar said:
No. 21 - The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
(Harris, 1986 -> on stage-status: last time in 1986)

I have read the book for my English list back in the early nineties. Guess why? This song. :)
Still need to see the film, should be good.

Pretty aggressive song with its neat riffs and drums. Nicko really shows some stamina here, playing so fast, so long. The intro is really delicate with a beautiful guitar melody. I like the way Nicko comes in hitting his snare, not using his bass drum before Bruce sings the first word.

During the couplets Dave and Adrian play some nice harmonies, where Adrian in specific plays pretty much on the edge, aggressive, which fits well to the nature of the song.

The less fluent part ("I've got to keep running..") with the more staccato rhythm again fits well to the lyrics.
Listen with headphones how Adrian plays during "win at all costs" (around 3:15). Again this aggressive playing can be heard on the album which is seen as Maiden's most polished one.

:ok:

I like this song a lot as well, I know its maybe not their best outing in terms of lyrics but it has a great melody, and a great movement to it, you can really envision yourself just running and running and running. Great choice Forostar :).

The note Bruce sings on the word "long" in the final line of the final chorus sends shivers down my spine. This song to me was like the keystone to SiT. It was the last song that I properly "got", but when I did "get" it, SiT entered the hallowed halls of the realm of flawless albums, and thus became (more or less, depending on the day) my favourite album. Good choice as always Mr. Forostar.

Not sure how I missed The Clairvoyant post, but here goes:
There was a time when this might have been a top-20 song for me, but it hasn't weathered the passage of time as well as some others golden age staples in my book.
The beginning is sublime, one of the band's best, but it fails to hold that standard.
Some great playing and I see all the things you see in, I think I just might prefer more structured Maiden.
Don't get me wrong, it's a great track, and I can see it in people's top 20, just not mine.
I actually surprised myself with how low it finished in my countdown — 60.
As for Loneliness, very happy to see it here.
Everything I love about Maiden is there — time shifts, great guitar parts and absolutely amazing rhythm section playing.
Most of all, I love the way the music matches the breathless exhaustion of the lyrics.
I think its brilliant; too few people agree — 38 on my list, and easily could be higher.

Nice choice Foro!
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner contains an endless assortment of guitar harmonies. Some of the dual guitar melodies are actually quite beautiful, such as the one that opens the song. Like many songs on SIT Adrian pulls out a breathtaking solo. Not so sure if the lyrics suit the tune...but why oh why did the band drop this song from the setlist after the first show of the SIT tour in 86? Very cool though that they had the song towards the start of the set. 

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
...but why oh why did the band drop this song from the setlist after the first show of the SIT tour in 86?

Or after the second. :) Unfortunately we don't have setlist/bootleg info from the Zagreb show.

CriedWhenBrucieLeft said:
I'm liking the way this countdown is heading! :)

Me too. It takes ages, but in the end the knots are cut. :)

Robbiedbee said:
The note Bruce sings on the word "long" in the final line of the final chorus sends shivers down my spine. This song to me was like the keystone to SiT. It was the last song that I properly "got", but when I did "get" it, SiT entered the hallowed halls of the realm of flawless albums, and thus became (more or less, depending on the day) my favourite album. Good choice as always Mr. Forostar.

Interesting, this was one of the first that clicked immediately with me. I will pay attention to that note next time I play it.

mckindog said:
Not sure how I missed The Clairvoyant post, but here goes:
There was a time when this might have been a top-20 song for me, but it hasn't weathered the passage of time as well as some others golden age staples in my book.
The beginning is sublime, one of the band's best, but it fails to hold that standard.

I find everything else much more exciting than the beginning of the song. That beginning melody, I find it a bit of a whining melody to be honest.

No. 21 - Transylvania
(Harris, 1980 -> on stage-status: last time in 1993)

Unfortunately the only one I ever missed in concert since I got into Iron Maiden (missed the ´93 gig). It´s one of the songs that really got me hooked and learnt me the strengths of the band: aggression, harmonies and an awesome rhythm section! Those bass/drum accents throughout most of track are almost hypnotizing. :shred:

Transylvania rocks!

Loneliness is a great song. It's my second favorite from SIT, only behind CSIT (Yep, Alexander and Stranger have dropped down in my ratings.).

Clairvoyant would be in a similar ballpark for me Foro, but I'd have to personally bump Transylvania into the top 10, where it has been a 30 year favourite of mine. Sorry, but TLOTLDR wouldn't break my top 100...

Transylvania is my favourite Maiden instrumental.
Love the aggression and the way it just rolls through the different sections.
Number 54, and if that seems low, remember we're talking Iron Maiden here.

Dance of Death definately cracks my top 10, I'd have to check where exactly though. As for transylvania, I might have overlooked it doing my own top 50... Definatly Maiden's best instrumental song... I might have to revise some of the positions!

Re: Forostar's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs: #20

No. 20 - To Tame a Land
(Harris, 1983 -> on stage-status: last time in 1983)

To Tame a Land, with its roaring riffs beating the eardrums. Speaking of drums, when Nicko starts that exciting rhythm you gotta love that tom work. It really helps the groove well. On SSOASS (the title track) this idea was used again.

There are some awesome ideas, it starts with the cinematic intro (a gaze over a big sandy wasteland, dunes). The double duo collaboration and interaction in this song (right before the fast part) is pretty original, when Steve and Dave play the melody together while Adrian and Nicko hit the chords in sync. Bruce is really in top shape as well, especially when he goes high. The only reason why I prefer nineteen others songs (at this moment) is that I am not that captivated by the end of the song (kind of long and not enough variation to keep me at the edge of my seat).

But the beginning is so mighty. Man, if this would be played again, that would be something. The ground would shake from its force and the crowd jumping up and down.
VanCantoMetalSmiley.gif

Re: Forostar's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs -> #20

For me, To Tam a Land would be as high as n° 2. The opening melody is one of the most beautiful Harris (and consequently Maiden) has ever written, and the rest of the song is at the same level. I would agree with you, Forostar, that the closing part is not the best of the song (same thing with the Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner I think), but this is far from ruining the song's impact. Even the small "borrow" to Albeniz is great.

Re: Forostar's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs: #19

Interesting harrisdevot. I knew some composer was involved but didn't know it was Albeniz. Would you provide us with a link of his work on which part of TTAL was based, in the To Tame a Land topic? Thanks! :eek:k:

No. 19 - The Evil That Men Do (see first post for 50-19)
(Smith/Dickinson/Harris, 1988 -> on stage-status: last time in 2011)

The Evil That Men Do has about the best bridge (pre-chorus, whatever we want to name it) from the catalogue.
Very intense performance by Bruce. The chorus is amazing. I like the build-up before the solo. Great accents.
From all SSOASS songs I've seen live, I always enjoyed this one the most. The live version on A Real Live One is my favourite, by a mile, but this one still deserves to be high in the rankings as well.

Re: Forostar's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs -> #19

Wow what a trip, early A.M. here in the western u.s and I was just blaring "Too tame A land" in an effort to wake up and stay warm. 31 degrees F this morning.   Now the first thing I read is this perfect song selection by Foro!!       TTAL is Top ten in my book.  Such an enormous pillar of Metal and melody here.  The lyrics are very different but no problem.  This is my 2nd favorite off Piece', and may be my favorite guitar song ever.  All the different parts just meld together and the song gets stronger and more powerful.  The riffs are uncontainable.  A masterpiece.

Back