Forostar's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs

No. 12 - Alexander the Great (see first post for 50-12)
(Harris, 1986 -> on stage-status: never played)

There are not many songs making such a huge impact as this track did, when hearing it for the first time. The intro and the following build-up is unsurpassed. There are many more aspects that I like about this song.
The atmosphere, the solos, the unusual rhythm in the midpiece beneath Adrian's solos.

Playing this song is more than just a listening experience. With Alexander The Great I don't only hear stuff, I "see" stuff. During the intro and the continuation I always see an army climbing a hill and when the distortion and acceleration blow from the speakers, the army comes over the rim and storms downwards. This visual aspect is an important quality.

Listening through headphones helps admiring this song even more. Like this, it's easier to hear that Dave and H have a different approach to the rhythm playing. Like in Caught Somewhere in Time, it feels like Adrian is waving lead patterns throughout most of his rhythm tracks.

Unlike many of you, I am not going to be nerdy about the lyrics. Harris didn't write a university paper. He is not a historian, specialized on the subject. These are lyrics by a songwriter. We're talking about songs, not about texts. Alexander the Great has some fantastic epic music, and singing. Yes there are mistakes, but I don't see why it should take away the listening pleasure. I owe nothing to Alexander, I don't care a damn if some things were said wrong about him.

Why do I prefer to make relations to the song, instead of focusing at plain text?
The answer is simple: In art, the inspiration for a lyric is not more important than the creation itself. Hell no.

I do care about lyrics a lot and consider it as a part of the art, not an addition. The bad thing about Alexander the Great's lyrics isn't the mistakes, but it's the way they're written. He can make some mistakes, sure, but he can't write lyrics that feels like they're copied straight out of a history encyclopedia. The lyrics simply don't tell anything. If you're influnced by something or someone, you have to express your feelings about it/him-her. He became the Macedon king and beat the armies of Persia. He met King Darius again and crushed him again in the Battle of Arbela. So ? Why the hell are you telling these facts to us through a song, Steve ? Maybe the only worthy part of the lyrics is this :

"their culture was a western way of life
he paved the way for christianity"

Because that's preassuming, that's a thought. That's why it's worthy.

Yeah, as you can see I bashed the lyrics but the fun part is, Alexander the Great is even higher in my list than yours. It's 6th. It's not because I don't see lyrics as a part of the song, it's because I worship the music of it. Fabulous melodies and incredible rhythm section (the harmony of drum & bass is amazing) and great solos. Like you said, it makes a huge impact while hearing it for the first time, I actually use this song when I try to get people into Maiden.

You say you're bashing the lyrics, but it´s difficult to take that very seriously. Since it's so high in your list and since you're so in awe by the music, I dare to state that the way the lyrics are written does not matter that much to you. If you really would find it important, it would have been lower. Still let´s talk a bit more about the lyrics and the song.

Steve might have been impressed by all the things that happened in Alexander's life and by his unbeaten status. That's what the "crushed him again" tells, to me at least. Facts do tell things, right now they tell the things Steve thought were worthwhile enough to mention.

Let´s not forget that this a song, and not a piece of written words only. Let me explain:

I assume Steve didn't elaborate much more on separate subjects because it wouldn't fit the song. Since he is not a historian, he wasn't busy with (intellectual) theories (old or new). The life of the man itself was just impressive enough. He wanted to tell a lifeline of the man, from birth to death, that's very clear.

Not unimportant is that, even if Steve would have liked to add thoughts, I think he realized there was no room for extra thoughts. If he had to add his own thoughts, then he had to sacrifice certain parts of the lyrics, and then the lifeline wouldn't be complete anymore.
If he did add more lyrics, then the lyrics wouldn't fit to the song anymore (the song we know now: he had to sacrifice the instrumental parts which you and I find so great).

So:
If you wanted him to write more lyrics, realize it would fuck up the song.
If you wanted him to change lyrics, realize that the lifeline account would feature gaps.

Steve chose the right path. He gave us the song as it is, namely a song with brilliant instrumental pieces of music.
A wise decision.

Great choice, almost obvious, although one could discuss the ranking. @ The Flash, the only passage that you save is certainly not from Harris. I happen to have pass my master's degree on Ancient Macedonia, and this idea of Alexandre paving the way for Christinaity is very common in some publications (and not accepted anymore by recent scholarship, as the Roman empire is now credited for that). Just found on the Internet a quotation of a certain S. Nectorios, who wrote in a book on Synods : "Hellenism spread by Alexander paved the way for Christianity by Emperor Constantine the Great." I read years ago an Alexander biography by an historian named Weigand, which developped exactly the same idea. The thing with those lyrics is that it feels as if Steve was taking notes on a book for an exam. They are not the best he has written, precisely because the personnal part seems to be very low. But he had perfectly translated into music the feelings he wanted to create : there's an oriental atmosphere passages which evoque battles, and so on. And in 1986, he thought it was the best song he has ever written, more mature, richer than Rime (and yes, I could provide some reference, and no, I don't think he still believes that to be true).

Well said. Steve kept himself to the known facts (or at least, he mentions his interpretations), and there was no room for extra thoughts. Maybe not in his head, but even if he had them, he was wise enough to not write them down, because there was no room in the song. And we know Steve: the end result, the song, is more important than anything else.
But he had perfectly translated into music the feelings he wanted to create : there's an oriental atmosphere passages which evoque battles, and so on. .
Indeed. Music also tells.

@ harrisdevot Then there's nothing I can appreciate about the lyrics.

@ Forostar I hate Alexander the Great's lyrics. It's simple as said. But at the same time, the song maybe is my second or third favorite Maiden composition. The thing that keeps ATG away from being in my Top 3 is the lyrics. Same goes with a lot of songs, in the same way or the exact opposite. For instance, I find Revelations' composition pretty repetitive and basic. But because of the fabulous lyrics, it's in my Top 40. It wouldn't be in my Top 60-70 if the lyrics were average. Here's another example, Starblind is probably my 5th or 6th favorite Maiden composition, but because of the lyrics, it's my number one currently.

If the subject he chooses doesn't allow adding thoughts, that means the choose is bad. If the points he likes to mention are too many that there's no space to comment, then limit the topic. I don't find reading Alexander the Great's life on a songs lyrics interesting at all. I can do that through history books and they're also better written in that case.

What I'm talking about is that writing about a man's life should be more specific and it has to tell something. harrisdevot summed it up actually. If Steve just wanted to tell facts about the man's life, then I'd say, that was a horrible aim about writing lyrics. If he didn't care about giving a message through lyrics but through music, I'd rather have it as an instrumental. I hope you get my point.

Actually, I think I enjoy this track a bit more than you (I am defending the song the way it is, I find the choices ´Arry made logical, and you rather have it different), so let´s forget our rankings for a moment, perhaps they don´t mean that much in relation to different people.

I still think you look at the lyrics too much as written words on paper only.

If Steve just wanted to tell facts about the man's life, then I'd say, that was a horrible aim about writing lyrics.

According to your opinion. There is no such rule in songwriting.

If he didn't care about giving a message through lyrics but through music, I'd rather have it as an instrumental.

As explained, I guess he thought the events in Alexeander´s life were too important to leave them unmentioned. You might have chosen otherwise and might have created another song, but Steve wanted lyrics (and I think he chose to do that as described in my previous post, in which I also said why I think he didn´t want to limit the topic).

I hope you get my point.

I get your point, but I disagree with it. I don´t have such strict norms as you, in songs that is.

I do care about lyrics a lot and consider it as a part of the art, not an addition. The bad thing about Alexander the Great's lyrics isn't the mistakes, but it's the way they're written.

Starblind is a musically great song that is in my top 10 because of its lyrics. Hooks in You is a musically OK song that is my bottom 10 because of its lyrics. Musically Alexander can legitimately challenge for the ranking you've given it. But so can many other Maiden songs. Its lyrics are, for me, why its only at 69. They get in the way.
At one point this song was instrumental. Maybe it should have stayed that way.

I'm not a fan of Alexander the Great, for much the same reasons as mckindog said above. It's not even in my top 50. Sorry Foro :innocent:.

Cheers Black Wizard and no prob, Nat (and others who share a different passion or who wish stuff altered)!

I think music and performance are more important to me than lyrics. But at the same time I understand why Steve did it like this and in fact I can't imagine how Steve would write a more personal account of the man's life.

"O great Alexander, I stand in battle with you, side by side". I mean, we don't want Manowar lyrics do we?
Or did you guys want him to judge his actions? "That was a fantastic battle, Alex, but you should have taken a different route to that particular city" :D
Or do people want him to portray one of his soldiers? He already did that in the Trooper.
("You don't take my life, but I take yours anyway"). ;)

I disagree with mckindog when he says that many other Maiden songs have the same musical quality (if I understood that correctly). I feel Alexander the Great has much more to offer than most other Maiden songs.

@ Black Wizard
No one on this thread has complained about historical technicalities.
Lyrics of songs like Starblind make me think and add to the musical brilliance.
Lyrics of songs like the Trooper match and enhance the vivid images the music evokes.
The lyrics of Alexander take me away to a middle school classroom. And that hurts my enjoyment of a musically excellent song.

Fair enough. I just think that the lyrics to 'Alexander the Great' aren't bad enough to detract from the quality of the song.

I think the lyrics are pretty average, but not terrible or anything. I agree with most of the opinions banded about --it really depends, also, on how important lyrics (generally) are to the individual listener. However, the music is, in my opinion, some of the best Maiden have ever written. A fantastic tune. Not sure of where I'd have it, but it's certainly one of my favourite Maiden songs.

No. 11 - Only the Good Die Young (see first post for 50-11)
(Harris/Dickinson, 1988 -> on stage-status: never played)

The first Harris/Dickinson collaboration and the final album closer with Adrian Smith on guitar before he left. Another one I love since the first time I heard it. The lyrics are mysterious but also more poetic than the average Maiden song. Lyrically the chorus can be seen as simple, but melodically, I'd say this is one of Maiden's best sounding choruses. Listen to the two Bruces, excellent really. What makes it even better is that in the second half of the chorus, the line "All the evil seems to live forever" is replaced by that great guitar melody
.. ta-da-da-daaa-da-da ta-da-da-daaa-da-da ...

Let's go into the top 10 now!

No. 10 - Genghis Khan (see first post for 50-10)
(Harris, 1981 -> on stage-status: last time in 1981)

Signature Maiden. Sublime instrumental with an excellent last one and a half minute. That bass line, those different riffs by Dave and Adrian and on top of that that cool lead by Adrian. This groove sounds like a preview of Hallowed Be Thy Name. Clive is really shining on this. Probably my favourite ending of all Maiden songs, and by far my favourite song from Killers.

Steve Harris in the interview with John Stix, made in 1983

Interviewer John Stix: "Genghis Khan is the second instrumental on Killers. The sharp break in the B section is like shifting gears without a clutch."

Steve: "That freaked out our producer as well. It was sort of a change at right angles. We really liked that element of surprise. This was another song where there could have been a vocal melody on top, but it felt good as an instrumental. A vocal would have cluttered it up. Originally it was written to depict the feeling and sound of Genghis Khan's army going to battle".

John Stix: "There are no solos"

Steve: "It wasn't a conscious thing, but it worked out that way. It felt better not to have any guitar solos on this track."

No. 9 - The Duellists (see first post for 50-9)
(Harris, 1984 -> on stage-status: never played)

The Duellists is for me the ultimate "forgotten song" in Maiden’s catalogue. I find it very underrated and I can’t understand people when they say it’s boring. I like it because of the brilliant mid piece. GREAT melodic guitar work, with the rhythm tandem McBrain/Harris underneath it. The song has a catchy chorus, that stays in your head (not the way the chorus of The Angel and the Gambler stays in your head!). No weak parts. Unlike most Maiden songs, the tempo is all the time the same, but despite this, the song has an enormous drive!

Recently I have been focusing more on the rhythm guitars and I discovered some nice touches I never heard before (due to my attention mostly going to the solos and harmonies).
In the second half of Dave's solo we can hear a third rhythm guitar in the middle audio channel and in the part following that solo, Adrian Smith adds some short but cool hooks in his rhythm guitar (right channel).

Another interesting aspect: I have the idea that someone else besides only Bruce is/are doing backing vocals in the chorus - Oooooohoooooo -, probably Adrian Smith.

I really like OtGDY (gawd, that abbreviation looks awful!), and I've commented before on how much I love the second part of GK. Two great tracks Forostar!

Cheers! :) Just added another one in that post, and busy with the next now:

No. 8 - The Trooper (see first post for 50-8)
(Harris, 1983 -> on stage-status: last time in 2011)

After more than 20 years I am still enthousiastic about this track.

If I had to choose one single Iron Maiden song, that would never bore me, even if I would play it every week, it would be The Trooper. Of course I am not listening to this studio version every week, but I downloaded many bootlegs over the years and I always chose this track as a "tester":

"How is the quality of the bootleg? I'll just check The Trooper first!" ;-)

So I heard many versions of this song and it never bores me. Definitely one of the best short Iron Maiden songs ever made. Nothing wrong with it. Great vocals, great guitar harmony, great solos and of course the great thundering bass guitar. A very heavy song as well. When I hear 'Arry ramming those snares on a festival, I instantly forget so called "heavier" bands which played earlier that day.

Conclusion: If someone ever needs to show a typical Maiden song or the way Steve Harris plays his bass, then this is the song to play at ten!

Back