Forostar's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs

Re: Forostar's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs

mckindog said:
Took me years to get it, but one of the better songs on the album.
Love the atmosphere and the dynamics of the composition.
Along with Phantom it's one of two debut tracks that really showed what the band might be capable of.
Where I differ from you is I don't think this one elevates to the special level.
And while I like Paul's voice on it, seeing Bruce perform the song showed me how good it could have been.
88th overall for me. Like Childhood, it could easily move up 20 places.

...and Steve Harris could play the lute. Wearing a big floppy hat with a feather in it. And pantaloons.

If I read this well, you regard Remember Tomorrow as the debut album's one but best track, but still you've put it at place 88? Hmm, interesting. I like this album too much to make such a move myself.

edit:
Ah, I see where you are coming from. You are an "Iron Maiden-with-Bruce-except-for-the-early-nineties"- fan (especially) and have ranked all non-Bruce albums together with the early 90s albums as the least good ones in the catalogue:

1-9      -> With Bruce in 1980s + 2000-2010
10-15  -> 1990s + Di'Anno:

10. The X Factor 7,2
11. Killers 7,1
11. Virtual XI 7,1
13. Fear of the Dark 7,0
14. Iron Maiden 6,9
15. No Prayer for the Dying 6,1

If you like this phrase better: You are an "Iron Maiden-with-Adrian-Smith"-fan (especially). Apart from Killers, all albums with Smith are in your opinion the best ones.  :D

No. 45 - Flight of Icarus
(Smith/Dickinson, 1983 -> on stage-status: last time in 1986)

I really like the build-up of Flight of Icarus. Every part is very good. Not in the least because of Bruce who drags me along. The solos are very nice. This was one of the songs in which I realized for the first time that a main songwriter doesn't need to do the most soling. It's really Dave doing the business. However, Adrian's solo is at least as much a pleasure to the ears.

Forostar said:
If I read this well, you regard Remember Tomorrow as the debut album's one but best track, but still you've put it at place 88? Hmm, interesting. I like this album too much to make such a move myself.

Not exactly. Generally speaking the debut lacks the depth that came later. I could liken Remember Tomorrow a teenage nerd — awkward, but showing enough smarts to make you wonder if it could one day become Bill Gates; it has the raw material but lacks the polish. There are other, more accessible, tracks I ranked higher for their "fun" value.

Forostar said:
If you like this phrase better: You are an "Iron Maiden-with-Adrian-Smith"-fan (especially). Apart from Killers, all albums with Smith are in your opinion the best ones.  :D

I can live with that.  :bigsmile:

As for Icarus, I am so glad to see it here. I think it's the first time I've seen it on one of these countdowns.

My take from the underrated songs thread:
Somewhere along the line, Flight of Icarus got slotted into the “too-commercial” bin of Maiden songs. I can’t blame fans who find it lacking compared to the grandeur of Revelations, the hardcore gallop of The Trooper or Still Life’s creepy feel. But give it another listen. This is no fun-but-simple Running Free. It’s nicely composed and arranged with mid-tempo rhythms that are atypical for Maiden and do a great job of building dramatic tension. It remains one of Bruce’s most powerful and emotional performances ever. The course is catchy without ever pandering. The solos are sublime. This is not a 10, but it is a killer track that somehow never really gets recognized as such anymore.

It's really enjoyed a renaissance for me recently. Comes in at number 22.

mckindog said:
it is a killer track that somehow never really gets recognized as such anymore.

I am lucky I have seen it when Bruce performed it (with Adrian!) in 1998. Final encore song! Fantastic delivery! :rocker:
Maiden needs to wipe off the dust and bring it back again, and you'll see how people start talking about it again.

No. 44 - Die with Your Boots On
(Smith/Dickinson/Harris, 1983 -> on stage-status: last time in 2005)

For me the best song on Piece of Mind's A side. The energy bursts from the first second with these awesome guitar riffs which are at the same time a harmony. At the 3 minute mark the song gets more interesting. A bright shining solo by Dave and then this dark harmony, in which Adrian plays the very low tones. First in unison with Dave, then alone, just like in Purgatory. Only he can play like this. This style of playing is a recognizable H trademark.

No. 43 - Lightining Strikes Twice
(Murray/Harris, 1998 -> on stage-status: last time in 1998)

The highlight of Virtual XI. This song has one of Blaze's best performances. The way he sings that intro, and especially how he does ...It takes me back to my childhood again .. is mindblowing.

Live he couldn't do the chorus, but he nails it pretty well here. Really cool how you can hear with how much spirit Blaze sings those fast couplets -> especially these ends of the sentences. E.g.:

.. in the park
... ...
.. flash lights dark

Naturally, the music helps too. We're used to fine intros when Dave co-writes songs and this is no exception. What a strong melody that lead guitar is. I have read some bad reviews when it comes to this album's sound but when I hear this song, I must protest: the guitar sound is very warm and also fat. Very rich and roaring at the same time as well. It sure helps making this song pretty heavy. On top of that we get its excellent melodic side, and that's why this is one of the finer gems of the Blaze period.

-------
There's a chance I'll be posting the rest of the songs with longer intervals. I need more time to make up my mind and to compare well, because the "like"-differences between some of them is minimal, and it's hard to choose.

Yes, finally someone truly appreciates Die With Your Boots On. The harmony you talk about is one of my favorite Maiden moments of all time and shows Piece of Mind's fabulous, unmatchable guitar tone. Also I love Bruce's psycho singing at the end  :bigsmile:

Lightning Strikes Twice is also a great song, used to be up there but not lower.

The Flash said:
Yes, finally someone truly appreciates Die With Your Boots On. The harmony you talk about is one of my favorite Maiden moments of all time and shows Piece of Mind's fabulous, unmatchable guitar tone.

I think I put in a stout defence of DWYBO in Tron's countdown --where he had pumped it down in the hundreds, or somewhere nonsensical like that!  :D

Forostar said:
Naturally, the music helps too. We're used to fine intros when Dave co-writes songs and this is no exception. What a strong melody that lead guitar is. I have read some bad reviews when it comes to this album's sound but when I hear this song, I must protest: the guitar sound is very warm and also fat. Very rich and roaring at the same time as well. It sure helps making this song pretty heavy. On top of that we get its excellent melodic side, and that's why this is one of the finer gems of the Blaze period.

I love Davey's intro's & have to agree that, after slating VXI in other threads (when I'd just joined the forum), the sound ain't half bad. TXF is certainly a very ponderous disjointed album, to me --certainly rather experimental, in terms of song structure. And, it doesn't knit well, again, for me. But, VXI is a step up --&, as someone else said, it would have been interesting to have heard a third album with Blaze. Maybe it would really have all come together.

What you both say regarding DWYBO harmony --spot on. That and the little interlude in Powerslave. Damn!, that is so, so good. I just love the sequence to bits. It's like three guitar parts too. Sorry, this is totally disjointed, but I read Janick comment in an interview (Premier Guitar) about how you can hear that there are many instances of more than two guitar parts on the old albums --which is true enough; this is an example. Still, he added that in The Talisman there are about four guitar parts --he played them all. And that on some tracks with Bruce (solo) they laid down eight guitar parts. Anyway, I'm rambling...

Boots used to a favourite of mine way back when, but it has slowly dropped with time.
It's a fun song with a great fuzztone guitar sound and energy, but I find it kind of a routine composition. Comes in at 78

As for Lightning, I was surprised so many here find Blaze's voice to be a highlight of this song. I don't like it on this song. It grates, particularly on one of Maiden’s worst choruses. This is where you see signs he was in over his head.
As far as the song itself, the fast verse, the slow intro and the solos all have some appeal, but the build and pacing falls flat. It doesn't suck, but it's one the band's lesser tracks — 138 on my list.

Figured we run into a major divergence a few times here. There's the first one.  :lol:
(I suspect there will be one or two X Factor songs we will be arguing along the way)

The Flash said:
Yes, finally someone truly appreciates Die With Your Boots On. The harmony you talk about is one of my favorite Maiden moments of all time and shows Piece of Mind's fabulous, unmatchable guitar tone. Also I love Bruce's psycho singing at the end  :bigsmile:

Lightning Strikes Twice is also a great song, used to be up there but not lower.

What do you mean finally? :p

I didn't state it in my countdown (that I'll be returning to in the next couple of days because uni work crept up again before) but Die With Your boots On was actually 26th. Lightning Strikes Twice is also excellent even with the chorus (that I do dock half a point off) but the rest of the song is really great, especially that intro!

Cool to read all your takes guys, much appreciated!  :) Only wish I had some more time to respond.

This next one was really tough, but I am afraid it will be tougher with every spot I take from now on.

No. 42 - Lord of Light
(Smith/Harris/Dickinson, 2006 -> on stage-status: last time in 2006)

Just like in another great track of this album, this time again Maiden didn't stick to a safe formula. Instead they tried something else, and it worked. They created a complex and dark work, which did fantastic in concert, and sounds excellent as a studio version as well.

This one has the kind of atmosphere in those calm parts which I don't recognize in any other Maiden song. If I would compare with other bands, then I'd think of elements of Bruce's Tyranny of Souls and I Will Not Accept the Truth, Seasons in the Abyss by Slayer and the Burnt Offerings album by Iced Earth. But Maiden makes it extra special because of Bruce's delivery and the support of his bandmates.

There's such awesome riffing but the best part of this album has to be the calm part after the first chorus. In concert I remember this was a particular cool moment when Adrian and Steve picked up the song, just like Dave and Steve do this in the middle of Sign of the Cross.

Nicko is cool too. He grooves well in the Sabbathish chorus, and his snare rolls at the end of Adrian's high solo tones rule. Another great moment, which I enjoy the best with headphones is the stuff going on underneath and right after Dave's solo: The manic and harmonic rhythm guitars, the doomy synth, accompanied by Nicko's determined drumming, draw us into a sinister wasteland.

Lord of Light is a very good song although it's one of my least favourite from AMOLAD.

Currently Lord of Light is a song I just can't get enough of... It takes you on a Journey! Great song. :edmetal:

CriedWhenBrucieLeft said:
I think I put in a stout defence of DWYBO in Tron's countdown --where he had pumped it down in the hundreds, or somewhere nonsensical like that!  :D
Hey!  ;)    ... i hope it doesnt become popular culture to refer to the low end of my list for giggles  :D  what have i done.
Woohoo Lord of light, a brilliant song with a divine tone. Hopefully Legacy will make an appearance?  ;)

Special note: I was doubting a lot about the position of the next selection, because everytime I play it, I sit straight up. It has a rare in-your-face quality. There's such an incredible amount of freshness, that there are moments that I find it better than some of the songs coming after this.

No. 41 - Public Enema Number One
(Murray/Dickinson, 1990 -> on stage-status: last time in 1991)

The first Dave & Bruce collaboration. What an energetic and heavy song, containing some of the best couplets in the catalogue. Janick and Dave play different and energizing rhythm guitar parts (rather rare for Maiden).

Bruce is on all cylinders, his voice cuts through flesh and bones, especially in these couplets.
People who dislike Bruce's rough vocals in this period should seriously listen to this track and try to imagine how it would sound with clean vocals. Opinions differ but when I listen to the music (rough as f**k), his voice fits perfect. He spits the words, you can really feel it!

..fast approaching, guns and riots!  ...riots!   ...riots!

I discovered Public Enema Number One for the first time only recently. For some reason, I'd only just noticed the very subtle harmony on the chorus, on the line "fall on your knees today/get to your feet today". When I heard that, the whole song sounded different to me.

Well, i guess i change picture again because i don't want to have the same  :lol:
Hopefully no one have this  :bigsmile:

Back