For the Greater Good of God

How good is For the Greater Good of God on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Are you a man of peace
      Or a man of holy war
      Too many sides to you
      Don't know which anymore
      So many full of life
      But also filled with pain
      Don't know just how many
      Will live to breathe again

A life that's made to breathe destruction or defense
      A mind that's vain corruption bad or good intent
      A wolf in sheep's clothing
      Or saintly or sinner
      Or some that would believe
      A holy war winner

They fire off many shots or many parting blows
      Their actions beyond a reasoning, only god would know
      And as he lies in heaven or it could be in hell
      I feel he's somewhere here or looking from below
      But I don't know, I don't know

Please tell me now what life is
            Please tell me now what love is
            Well tell me now what war is
            Again tell me what life is

More pain and misery in the history of mankind
      Sometimes it seems more like the blind leading the blind
      It brings upon us more of famine, death and war
      You know religion has a lot to answer for

And as they search to find the bodies in the sand
      They'll find its ashes that are scattered across the land
      And as their spirits seem to whistle on the wind
      A shot is fired somewhere, another war begins

And all because of it you'd think that we would learn
      But still the body count the city fires burn
      Somewhere there's someone dying in a foreign land
      Meanwhile the world is crying, stupidity of man
      Tell me why, tell me why

For the greater good of God

(5:48 – Solo: Janick Gers)
      (6:16 – Solo: Adrian Smith)
      (6:29 – Solo: Dave Murray)

He gave his life for us, he fell upon the cross
      To die for all of those who never mourn his loss
      It wasn't meant for us to feel the pain again
      Tell me why, tell me why

Discuss...

Re: 'For The Greater Good Of God'

A very good song!  Most claim it to be the best one in the album,  but I think it comes second to Brighter Than A Thousand Suns.  The lyrics are excellent,  and the chorus (which I don't mind being repetitive here) will be a nice sing along one.

The lyrics are obviously questioning a lot of things about religion.  How is it that these people talk about peace,  when they're creating ridiculous problems just to fight?  They argue about dogmas which is only a preface in order to divide and conquer.  I don't think this adresses Christianism only,  but it's one of the religions that have a lot to answer for.

Religion is not a bad thing.  The way it is being used is what makes it bad.  Usually,  it's the religious elders that manipulate the holy scriptures (Bible,  the Koran for example) and thus guide the blinded folk.  Indeed it seems that "the blind lead the blind",  but I don't think that's the case.  They are not blind.  They know exactly how to use people's fear of God.  They are not afraid of God because they created him.  I don't mean that God doesn't exist,  but rather that the one(s) they're talking about doesn't (don't) exist.

One of these preachers is his "holiness" archbishop of Athens and the whole of Greece Christodoulos.  This "holy" man has done many things,  none of which in true Christian character.  He didn't realize that there was a dictatorship imposed by the junta in Greece for seven years (1967-1974) because... he was busy studying!  And of course the junta was supported by the clergy.  He also made a huge fuss that the creed of every citizen should be written on the identities. He always talks about enemies of Hellenism and Orthodoxy,  by the followers of Satan.  Oh and one more thing he's done.  When Slipknot were coming to play in Greece, he asked that the concert was cancelled,  because "Satan's music" affects the youth negatively.  Well I didn't know that Satan was an artist and could write music! ;)

Um, how come there's no poll with ratings,  or am I being too hasty?

I love this tune as well. The first few times I listened, the lyrics made me think of the Crusades. Holy war, bodies in the sand, etc. Being a Christian I also like the little verse at the end:

He gave his life for us, he fell upon the cross
      It wasn't meant for us to feel the pain again

Too true.

I have read an interview (somewhere) where Bruce says this song (and album as whole) is not meant to be political because IM "does not want to choose sides" in issues and is "more interested in the human side" of wars, religious or otherwise.  [Quotes are not verbatim].
With the recent issues in Middle East and elsewhere I just wonder if this song will be interpreted to mean anti-Islamic or some such thing.  It definitely seems criticizing religious leader of all kind.  I can hear preachers everywhere cursing Maiden, yet again.  -_- 

Anyway, this song has a lot of oomph and it definetely sticks out.  The chorus is memorable.  I'm sure, I'll have more to say after I listen to it more.

Genghis Khan said:
I have read an interview (somewhere) where Bruce says this song (and album as whole) is not meant to be political because IM "does not want to choose sides" in issues and is "more interested in the human side" of wars, religious or otherwise.  [Quotes are not verbatim].
With the recent issues in Middle East and elsewhere I just wonder if this song will be interpreted to mean anti-Islamic or some such thing.  It definitely seems criticizing religious leader of all kind.  I can hear preachers everywhere cursing Maiden, yet again.  -_- 

Anyway, this song has a lot of oomph and it definetely sticks out.  The chorus is memorable.  I'm sure, I'll have more to say after I listen to it more.
He says that in the making of AMOLAD documentary.

I wouldn't say it's the best song of the album, but then again, it's hard to pick a winner :D I love the lyrics of this song, especially the pre-chorus (?) with "Please tell me know...". One of Steve Harris' best efforts in my book.

How about a little rant about religious fanatism? Perun? Anyone?

It's still not the same.  :nonono:

Indeed it's not Raven. I believe Mav may well be talking about religious fanatics that terrorize in the name of their God, rather than some "Bible thumpers wanting to discriminate".

Okay, I get you.  I think everyone is a bit too religion-ed out at the moment, from all the discussions we've had recently.  There's too much confusion about the whole issue, so it's difficult to be completely objective when discussing the idea of religious fanatiscism (sp?), especially in today's political climate.  This is especially true whenever Joe Public starts looking at any Asian of possible Pakistani origin wearing robes and sporting a long beard as if they're going to mug them.  I once posted about Islam not being a violent religion in a Metal-Archives forum, and got flamed out of the wall for it by people who claimed my post sounded like coming from a 'multi-cultist [sic] handbook'.  Which is exactly what the terrorists want.  They want disruption, and fear.  If it means innocent Muslims suffer and are discriminated against, they don't care.

Well, I don't want to post too much about the song here, but I like the inital and final verses very much.  The opening line 'Are you a man of peace of a man of holy war?' rings very true today, when religion is being used as an excuse for violence.  The final quatrain is also very poignant and true...Jesus, if you believe in him, died on the Cross to make the world a better place...instead, the Church has hijacked his teaching for its own purposes.  Ironically, every time I have to sit in Church (I'm a Catholic, by the way), I remember Jesus' teaching on prayer.  He criticised the long, preplanned prayers the Jewish religious leaders used, claiming that they only wanted fame for themselves.  Looking at the over-ritualised Mass, it saddens me to see that not much has changed, even if the Church is much better than it used to be (a few decades ago, the Catholic Church was even more misogynistic than it is today, and the congregation was completely shut off from the sacntuary-where the priest conducts the service).  But, as I choose to paraphrase the old saying; institutionalised religion is the opium of the masses (happy, Onhell? ;)).

Raven said:
I once posted about Islam not being a violent religion in a Metal-Archives forum, and got flamed out of the wall for it by people who claimed my post sounded like coming from a 'multi-cultist [sic] handbook'.
The ignorance of some folk!

Raven said:
The final quatrain is also very poignant and true...Jesus, if you believe in him, died on the Cross to make the world a better place...instead, the Church has hijacked his teaching for its own purposes.
I guess it depends on what you mean by "if you believe in him". I think few would doubt he existed. Many may not believe in him been the Son of God....
...and yet he gave the ultimate sacrifice.

But if he were alive today, he would be very disheartened by the Church.

Raven said:
Ironically, every time I have to sit in Church
You make it sound like a chore.

Albie said:
You make it sound like a chore.

Not really a chore, but I disagree with the institutionalised religions of today, especially the Catholic Church.  That is to say, I disagree with their Conservative doctrine and the over-ritualised service.  And so I'm not particularly keen on attending Mass on Sundays...there's so much unnecessary fat around the bare bones of worship, today, that I prefer to worship on my own or with like-minded friends.

Right, let's have that again.

Perun said:
Right, let's have that again.
:huh:

Did something I say confuse you, or are you talking about the fact that we've had so many religious discussions before?

The latter. We've really talked a lot of that to death already.

Perun said:
The latter. We've really talked a lot of that to death already.

You never know; we may wish to talk about it again, if it enters current affairs, or if we leave it a while (until the desire for discussion arises again).  But personally, I find the discussion a bit tired and not something that I want to write a long post about.

Back