Food from your country

Hey guys, I wanted to open a topic in which to discuss the national food we enjoy. Having lived in Venezuela, among my favorite dishes I could mention Arepas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arepa) and Empanadas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empanadas) which are usually made from corn dough and filled with almost anything you can think of (cheese, meat, chicken, fish, ham, beans...) and also Pabellòn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pabell%C3%B3n_criollo) also known as Pabellòn Criollo, which could be considered the national dish of Venezuela, consisting of steamed rice, black beans, shredded meat and fried slices of plaintain (which are very yummy)

Italian food, I think, is much more well known.

Food in my country is food from other countries, usually not made right,

it's not that bad, but then again, I've never been outside of the US so I wouldn't know what it is like when just about every restaurant serves your country's native food.

Throwing a steak on the grill tonight, from an American cow that I am sure will be quite good.

I forgot bbq. that is american and very good. had some yesterday

The Knife Master said:
I forgot bbq. that is american and very good. had some yesterday

Going to NC (near Ashville next week) and looking forward to mucho BBQ there.

On Canada's left coast we tend to follow what The Knife Master's neighbourhood is cooking.
But I will stack some candied salmon smoked Coast Salish style up against just about anything.

Denver played a large role in making big-ass burritos go mainstream, since this is the origin of Chipotle. (The first Chipotle is about 4 miles from my house.)

Denver claims to be the inventor of the cheeseburger. Not specifically the food - it's a pretty obvious combination - but the name. Denver was the first place to sell them as cheeseburgers.

Denver has great, 100% genuine Mexican food. Plenty of Mexicans around here to make it, after all.

Oh, and of course ... Rocky Mountain Oysters.

Went on vacation near Denver last summer, took a big pass on the Rocky Mountain Oysters, did eat a lot of good food though.  That is one of my favortie part of vacations (eating local stuff). 

portermoresby said:
Empanadas

Hehe, I used to make those at a bakery/deli owned by a woman from Panama and her American husband. I made the shells, the bosses filled them. Mmmgood.
Rocky Mountain Oysters are good. You missed out, bearfan. (They're obviously not much different from meatballs.)

SinisterMinisterX said:
Denver played a large role in making big-ass burritos go mainstream, since this is the origin of Chipotle. (The first Chipotle is about 4 miles from my house.)

Denver claims to be the inventor of the cheeseburger. Not specifically the food - it's a pretty obvious combination - but the name. Denver was the first place to sell them as cheeseburgers.

Denver has great, 100% genuine Mexican food. Plenty of Mexicans around here to make it, after all.

I forgot to mention the Mexican food. Besides Taco Bell and all the other fast food joints, Denver's Mexican food is very authentic. the reason I didn't mention Mexican food is because it's Mexican food and even though our Mexican food is very good, it still belongs to Mexico. But I could name about 20 great Mexican food places in Denver without much thought easily.

I hate to say this, but I've never eaten at Rocky Mountain Oysters . :eek:
And Chipotle will always be associated with The Final Frontier, for me as i listened to it for the first time ever on the way to Chipotle.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Hehe, I used to make those at a bakery/deli owned by a woman from Panama and her American husband. I made the shells, the bosses filled them. Mmmgood.
Rocky Mountain Oysters are good. You missed out, bearfan. (They're obviously not much different from meatballs.)

I might try it next time, I just could not do it. 

SinisterMinisterX said:

No offense, Mexican food is well... Mexican, not from denver, "adopting" is not creating. Hamburgers are well... from hamburg, and "burritos" even if not of monster size, are mexican. So... yeah... alls you got are your bull testicles :p

I will say this. Out of ALL the Americanized foods (Pizzas, Hamburgers, Panda Express, etc) Burritos, specially Chipotle, are by FAR my favorite and I must say they surpass the original.

I've never had real Chinese food, but I love Panda Express.

I'm Turkish and I think you know about Turkish Kebab  :lol: Doner is a tradition in my country, but my favorite kebab is Iskender Kebap. (Iskender = Alexander) It's kinda like Doner but the meat is different. Iskender is a special thing that came from the city of Bursa. In Bursa, farmers feed rams with Uludag thyme (Uludag is a county of Bursa) because of that, the meat tastes different. It's really amazing it's a shame that the other cities don't make it right. I'm living in another city but I've been to Bursa and tasted it fortunately.

Back