Food from your country

In my part of Canada, those of us with a Polish and Ukrainian heritage are big on perogys (potato dumplings), halopti (cabbage rolls), and kulbassa (coarse, heavily spiced sausage). You can serve it with a surgeon's rib-spreader...

SinisterMinisterX said:
Denver claims to be the inventor of the cheeseburger. Not specifically the food - it's a pretty obvious combination - but the name. Denver was the first place to sell them as cheeseburgers.

The cheeseburger was invented in Southern California, though I think you're right that a place in Denver came up with the name.  It is also the quintessential American food, and has been perfected in SoCal by establishments such as Fatburger, In n Out, and Tommy's. There's a place in my neighborhood called Burgers & Donuts. That's it. That's the name.  And yes, that's what they sell.  

taker64 said:
In my part of Canada, those of us with a Polish and Ukrainian heritage are big on perogys (potato dumplings), halopti (cabbage rolls), and kulbassa (coarse, heavily spiced sausage). You can serve it with a surgeon's rib-spreader...
I didn't know you were Canadian. Most of this forum is Canadian isn't it?

I think there's 4 of us active right now. Many more Americans than Canadians, and quite a good smattering of Euros.

LooseCannon said:
I think there's 4 of us active right now. Many more Americans than Canadians, and quite a good smattering of Euros.
That's a lot less than I thought. For some reason this place just seems very Canadian. Let's see you're Canadian, that's one. Taker is two. Genghis Khan is Canadian right? That's 3. I guess I was just being delusional.

Back on topic, American Pizza is excellent.

Yeah, we do Pizza well, and all sorts of meat-- steak, pork chops, and ribs (yeah, BBQ). 

mckindog is Canadian as well.

And you, CFH, SMX, Wasted, chaospiant are all American, Onhell is Americo-Mexican't, I guess GuineaPig is also a Canadian, and so is PoM whenever he's around.

Then there's the Brits (Albie, Nush), the Scandinavians, the German, so many more...

We have Scandinavians and Germans?

I assume all our meat is American ("Steak, Pork-chops and ribs")

But given the origin of this Country's cultures, for the most part we really are a melting pot , and our food is no exception to that, even though we've Americanized things quite a lot.

The Knife Master said:
We have Scandinavians and Germans?

OH yeah, Shadow, EW, Perun, MaidenFreak (before disappearing). There have been waves of Canadians and Mexicans alike, but the only regulars have been LC and I respectively. Hopefully the new few stick around :)

vegemite.jpg

Too bad it's not even owned by an Australian company anymore...

Our cuisine is mostly borrowed from Italian with some special twists. All sorts of pasta are very common. However, i can present best meal ever, genuine Dalmatian dish : Pasticada. Whether it's only prepared with beef or it represents a way of preparing several types of meat, and does it mean just meat or does the name automatically include Njoki (gnocchi) to form a complete meal, is up for discussion and varies heavily throughout several regions of Dalmatia.

All i can say, if you have a taste for food, this is one of things you need to try before you die. Pasticada made from wild boar's meat is incredible.

We do fish (riba) a lot, preparation is mostly done leso, boiled in water with vegetables, or na gradele. This is something you also need to try; fish is roasted on line grid grill which uses incandescent wood with charcoal as source of heat. As the fish roasts, you coat it with olive oil using a sprig of Rosmarinus. After it's done, it's served together with marinada as sauce; made of olive oil, vinegar, fine garlic, parsley, salt and pepper.

It's a pure scientific fact that tastiest fish species live here, such as Komarca (Sparus Aurata), Zubatac (Dentex Dentex), Lubin (Dicentrarchus Labrax).  

Possibly the best experience of Dalmatian cuisine would be "home prepared" riba na gradele, not in restaurants, even expensive ones. Fish that just came fresh out of the sea, old-school stone grill and all other ingredients picked up fresh from the garden. That's rather common in mid-Dalmatian coast and islands; we even did it on festival once because one of my friends is a sport fisherman (gun), and he snatched a 5 kg Dentex ;) The sole bar in camp had a stone grill outside and that was it. Very, very refreshing after eating "festival food" for 3-4 days in a row  :D

I`m not gonna talk about all the awesome Persian foods here, but:

Joojeh-Kabab_2.jpg

Joojeh-Kabab_1.jpg

جوجه کباب (Joo-Jeh-Kebab) or Chicken-Kebab + Persian Rice

One of the reasons that I like living.

I had a Kabab-e Bakhtiyari the other day. Heartbreakingly delicious.

So, typical German foods nowadays would be döner kebab, spaghetti and currywurst. Damn, I haven't had a currywurst in ages...

Norway is a country where the harsh conditions once forced people to do things simple and sometimes brutal - and not letting anything go to waste. Therefore we have things like this:

images

Yes, that is a cooked sheep head. With rutabaga and carrot stew.

Back