Flash of the Blade

How good is Flash of the Blade on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Flash of the Blade

I like, but do not love, the intro riff. The rhythm section is taking no prisoners, like it does for the entire album. Chorus is solid. A good, not great track that has a very similar — probably too similar — feel to Sun and Steel. Seven

But is it better than Sun and Steel in your opinion?  I think so.  The energy alone beats SaS.

Genghis Khan said:
But is it better than Sun and Steel in your opinion?  I think so.  The energy alone beats SaS.

That's a tough one. I gave both of them sevens, but Flash probably has a bit more going on, so Flash, at least today.

7/10. For a so called filler track, it's quite good and the chorus is very catchy, almost an 8 but 7 it is.

It's energetic and fun, probably underrated, and I should listen to it more often.  That being said, however, Maiden have a lot of rockers, and this is not among the best.  I'd give it 6, but I gave Gangland and Purgatory 6, and this is a lot better than them.  7/10

6/10. Sorry, but the middle four of Powerslave are simply overshadowed by the four eternal classics. The lyrical theme of the song isn't something that interests me, and although the intro melody and its development before and after the solos, complete with the drum/bass breaks sound really great, the verses and choruses are a downer. Maybe if they expanded the music and turned this into an instrumental instead of Losfer Words, who knows. Like this, I have to agree that it's borderline filler.

6/10. The best of the filler, I quite like this song although I appreciate that there isn't very much special about it.

A very beloved one. Except the opening riff, which is one of my favorites, the bass line and terrific tempo, this one contains one of my best lyric:

As a young boy chasing dragons
With your wooden sword so mighty
You're St. George or you're David
And you always killed the beast
Times change very quickly
And you had to grow up early
A house in smoking ruins
And the bodies at your feet.

To me that's poetry. 8/10

The intro/main riff is catchy and really good, Bruce's performance is great. I was going to give it a 7 but it was before I remember the lyrics. 8/10

6 out of 10... This tune just never really lit a fire under me... it gets skipped over regularly...

I love this song, the intro tune is really good. This is my 5th favourite, but Powerslave is my fave album of all time and its hard to beat Aces High, 2 minutes, Powerslave, and ROTAM lol. Great chorus aswell.

Another great song. This was my favorite Powerslave song when I was little and the chorus was and still is one of my favorites. The middle section is really good. It would be great to hear with the 3 guitars live. 10/10

I love the opening riff, it used to be my ringtone for a very long time. Very underrated. 9/10.

One of the first songs I heard from Powerslave. I love it. 9 from me, underrated song.

This song has a very alerting beginning and a dazzling amount of guitars in the instrumental section.
Apart from that, the beat is really good and I also dig Steve's very melodic approach here.

About that mid piece, this is an interesting comment by Adrian:

...followed by 'Flash Of The Blade', a slightly above average track, blessed with a killer intro riff. "Yeah, that was a good little song," recalls Adrian, "one of Bruce's; good, tight little song. We never played it live but I enjoyed playing it in the studio. I actually added quite a few more guitar lines to it. A lot of the harmony stuff you hear, I actually overdubbed. Good little song. And everybody knows Bruce is a fencing nut."

When you did your famous harmony solos, how did you guys work it out? "We actually used to work separately. Dave would go in for a couple of days and do some solos, do some guitar lines and then I would go in and do my solos and put the harmony to what he'd done. And if it was Steve's song, Steve would be there, but both of us were in there, just making sure it's what he wanted. He's very meticulous about his stuff, you know. But on 'Flash Of The Blade' for example, there were certain parts I didn't feel were strong enough, so I overdubbed harmonies myself on top of what was already there. So occasionally we would do separate harmonies, but mostly we would do them together."
(source)

Nice intro riff. Nice instrumental part. Corny chorus. Lyrics are akin to kill-the-dragon power metal stuff, which i really don't like. Filler. 6.

Back