Flash of the Blade

How good is Flash of the Blade on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters

gor

Ancient Mariner
i have nothing to add on this commentary, but it makes me wonder. most iron maiden story-telling songs are based on films / books or historic events. there are rare exceptions, like the nomad, which don't depend on a specific historic or fictional event. nevertheless, flash of the blade doesn't strike me as one, party because of the storyline structure of the song and partly because vague atory-telling without a specific source of influence is a trend of the later maiden offerings. does anyone know any movie / book / historic event that might have inspired dickinson to write the lyrics, or was it only his love of fencing?

'flash Of The Blade'

i always thought it was Bruce's song on Fencing as well as he is an avid fencer

'flash Of The Blade'

Now you can read other visitors' comments on 'Flash Of The Blade' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'flash Of The Blade'

This was never one my favorite songs on Powerslave, but it's still a pretty good song. I really like the intro and the harmony part, but it doesn't have any solos or anything. I give it 3.5 stars.

'flash Of The Blade'

A good song with a very catchy intro bit and some cool harmony stuff in the middle. There are better songs on the album, but this song is still above average.

'flash Of The Blade'

Amazing song, killer instrumental section.

According to an interview, Adrian had a hand in writing the instrumental section of this song, and actually he played all those guitar harmonies by himself. I wonder why he didn't get any credit from this song. You can read the interview here:

[a href=\'http://www.martinpopoff.com/html/yeold_archives/maiden.html\' target=\'_blank\']http://www.martinpopoff.com/html/yeold_archives/maiden.html[/a]

'flash Of The Blade'

Great intro and vocals from Bruce.4 stars

'flash Of The Blade'

An underrated gem from the overlooked middle four of the album. Intro is pretty simple (for a Maiden song) yet effective, and the bassline is good and reminds me of Creeping Death-in keeping with the Egyptian theme, even if the rest of the song isn't connected. Vocals are pretty good too. Has this song ever been played live? Hopefully it'll make a comeback in the Golden Years tour. 4 stars.

Daily Song: Flash of the Blade

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Flash of the Blade

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

My thoughts: Honestly? I always found this song to be a little annoying. I know lots of people like it, but I'm not a fan of the riff, and I'm not a fan of the way Bruce sings the chorus. People always call this album Fillerslave, and I think this is one of the reasons why. 6/10.

Re: Daily Song: Flash of the Blade

I know this song is one of the reasons why the album is labeled Fillerslave. I just happen to disagree with that label. That being said, this song isn't that special and shares the bottom spot on the album with Losfer Words.  It's the least interesting song on the album, but still a nice song. I also happen to like that chorus  :D

7/10.

10. Fantastic, powerful and fast song with a majestic instrumental section, insane bass lines and Bruce's ripping and soaring performance. It contains all the classic elements of the band in this song.

If the album is called Fillerslave for this song, one needs to review their concept about Iron Maiden and if really know what this band is all about.

8. I myself am trying to get rid of this "filler" feeling that the four middle song give me, but this song is really great, especially the instrumental section.

I like this song. The riff is great and Bruce's voice is very dramatic during the verses. And for some reason, I have always liked the harmonies in the chorus. Good, solid 8/10.

7/10

Much better than losfer words and the duelists and on par with back in the village. This song is bordering on filler though. Great instrumental section and bass lines.

The only song that is close enough to be called filler is LW.
FOTB is awesome from start to finish. 10/10

LooseCannon said:
My thoughts: Honestly? I always found this song to be a little annoying. I know lots of people like it, but I'm not a fan of the riff, and I'm not a fan of the way Bruce sings the chorus. People always call this album Fillerslave, and I think this is one of the reasons why. 6/10.

If people call this "Fillerslave", then I suppose we have to go a couple of steps further and have the albums "Dance of Filler" and "Fear of the Filler"  :smartarse:

The actual song itself has some nice harmonies and I don't mind too much how Bruce sings the chorus. Has a pretty cool instrumental section though. Just slightly up from Losfer Words in my view but not enough to give it more, so 7/10.

I love this song, not as much as the other so-called filler on the album 'The Duellists', but enough to give it 9/10.  Love the riff and the lyrics makes me imagine a young boy imitating his fantasy heroes.

Back