Five years later: The Final Frontier revisited

Five years later, what do you think of the Final Frontier

• Total voters
The Final Frontier has some great tracks, but none I would consider a 10/10. Starblind and Wild Wind are my favorites, but they don't quite reach that lofty rating. All of the other post-reunion albums have at least 1 song that is an absolute classic. This makes TFF my least favorite of the bunch, but it's very solid overall. Just a step down from the brilliant AMOLAD.

As it stands now, El Dorado is the best song on the album for me. I outgrew Isle of Avalon. I outgrew Starblind. I outgrew WTWWB and The Man Who Would be King years ago. I might even say I dislike those songs, save for the dreamy intro of Isle of Avalon.

As it stands now, El Dorado is the best song on the album for me. I outgrew Isle of Avalon. I outgrew Starblind. I outgrew WTWWB and The Man Who Would be King years ago. I might even say I dislike those songs, save for the dreamy intro of Isle of Avalon.
Thank god it's impossible to outgrow The Talisman. I mean you might try, but that song has you by the balls. You can't go anywhere.

Talisman is pretty good except for the chorus which I am personally not a fan of. I love that fast loud kickoff after the long slow intro. Though you gotta admit it's a ripoff of The Legacy :p

Talisman is pretty good except for the chorus which I am personally not a fan of. I love that fast loud kickoff after the long slow intro. Though you gotta admit it's a ripoff of The Legacy :p
I assume you mean the intro?

The rest of the song is very different. The Talisman uses the traditional Maiden gallop a lot, The Legacy not at all. The Talisman has a chorus, The Legacy doesn't - so as a whole, the two songs are quite different.

Just listened to "Isle of Avalon", which has steadily grown on me for five years now. A very intriguing, unique song for Maiden.

Quick thoughts..

The Satellite intro still doesn't really work IMO..Should have been cut by a few mins and then is still just a "weird" beginning to the album.

El Dorado sorta drags...Speed of Light does have similarities but is a much more focused track.

Mother of Mercy is the first song to show some sparks of brilliance.

Coming Home is the first great song that really launches the album off.

The Alchemist is a nice one-two punch following Coming Home, and keeps the momentum going for the album.

Isle of Avalon then turns everything on it's head. Great piece of musical exploration. The chorus "I hear her crying, the tears of an angel ..."etc is brilliant and very melodic. Actually one of my favorite moments on this album. Very memorable.

Time for some more introspection with Starblind. Don't think I need to say too much about this one.

The Talisman just screams classic Maiden - I think I hear influences from every studio album up until then in this track. Also even if I don't like Bruce's way of sounding like an old sailor in the first verse - it is one of the better soft openings they've done.

The Man Who Would Be King - Has one of the better middle parts of the entire album!

When The Wild Wind Blows - Epic story lyrically, but I'm not that fond about the guitar and vocal melodies to be honest. In my book this track is a bit overrated

Am I the only one who think that the satellite was quite interesting but the alchemist suck in comparision to the rest of album?

Back