First Maiden song heard

We see threads like this start all the time, so I just got an idea: let's put all the "firsts" in one place, here!

Could be interesting, because it will help us get to know each other better ... there are a few new members here who I don't know much about yet. :bigsmile:

My Maiden firsts:

First song heard and first single-song video seen:
Run To The Hills, 1982 (on MTV, which played RTTH all the time back in those days)

First full album heard:
Powerslave, 1985

First album bought:
Live After Death, early 1986
First album bought on release day:
Somewhere In Time, 1986

First full-length video seen:
Live After Death, 1986
First video purchased:
Rock In Rio, 2001 (or whenever that came out, I think it was 2001)

First vinyl: Live After Death
First cassette: Iron Maiden
First CD: Fear Of The Dark (I was a cassette man until the early 90s)

First release bought multiple times:
I think it was Piece Of Mind (vinyl then cassette)

First Maiden concert:
Somewhere On Tour, February 1988

First Maiden shirt:
SIASL single cover, bought at concert
First non-shirt memorabilia:
Number Of The Beast back patch for my denim jacket, 1987
First non-clothing memorabilia:
A bunch of poster flags for my basement, 2003 or so

For the musicians...
First Maiden song learned:
Something from Live After Death, but I don't recall which one I learned first. The best I can guess: I recall 2 Minutes To Midnight was one of the earliest.
First Maiden song played live:
"The Trooper", with me on drums for a band called Body Count, autumn 1988 (I still have videotape of this mess somewhere!)

Your turn! :bigsmile:

My Maiden firsts:

Most probably Can I Play With Madness, 1988

First full album heard:
Iron Maiden, 1991 (this really was the start of my love for Maiden)

First album bought:
Live After Death, 1991
Fear of the Dark, 1992

12 Wasted Years, 1991
First video purchased:
12 Wasted Years, 1991 (Bought new! It was still available!)

First vinyl: Sanctuary maxi single (because Prowler was on it) + Live After Death, 1991
First cassette: I forgot this. I bought many in Poland, but forgot which was the first one.
First CD: Somewhere in Time + Piece of Mind. Bought at the same time (my first CDs ever bought, I didn't even have player until 1992, or even 1993, instead a neighbour taped the albums for me) right after I saw the 12 Wasted Years video. In 1991.

Live After Death (first the LP, then CD)

First Maiden concert:
Fear of the Dark Tour, 2 September 1992 (Can I Play With Madness on A Real Live One)

First Maiden shirt:
Fear of the Dark, album cover

Live After Death flag

@SMX: Body Count? Cool, I went to that band in 1994. Did they steel your name? ;)

DAYUM. I'm just gonna copy yours.

My Maiden firsts:

I think it was Run to the hills on youtube. But I saw Rainmaker on VH1 a couple of months ago, best show ever.

First full album heard:
Iron Maiden, think it was 05 or 06.

First album bought:
Iron Maiden, with Killers.
None, and never will be for I live in Israel!
But I will but the new one when it's here.

Live After Death, 08
First video purchased:
The documentary about Number of the beast :p

First vinyl: I have none. I once considered buying an israeli copy of SSoaSS on ebay but it was too late.
First cassette: Didnt even know they had cassettes. If someone has a picture I'd love to see it.
First CD: IM and Killers.

None.

First Maiden concert:
STOP TAUNTING ME

First Maiden shirt:
I have some shirts that I baought at some lame store that makes cheap shirts. I'd really love an official one, but there are like 2 stores that sell them and not in my ridiculesly large size.
I have this emblem of Killers somewhere, not official either.
The above.

For the musicians...
Wow. I think I tried Phantom when I was first started playing, but the first full song with solo was The Trooper.
Never played a live show. I don't have a single friend or acquaintance that plays something.

Forostar said:
@SMX: Body Count? Cool, I went to that band in 1994. Did they steel your name? ;)

We used that name for about one year before Ice T's Body Count came out. I left the band about that time, but they changed their name to The Insurgents to avoid confusion.

But no, Ice T didn't steal our name. We were a high school band in Connecticut, he was a gangster rapper 3000 miles away. He never heard of us.

And yes, I spelled it correctly. Ice T is/was a gangster rapper. Later imitators are the gangsta rappers.

Flight of Icarus ('94)

First full album heard:
Powerslave (same year)

First album bought:
Physically with my own money? Dance of Death.
Dance of Death. XD

Flight of Icarus ('94)
First video purchased:
Videos? Puh-leaaase, I buy DVDs. XD

First vinyl: Actually I got the LAD, Powerslave and Aces High vinyl record for Christmas four years ago.
First cassette: Do I have a cassette? I don't recall. . .
First CD: Piece of Mind & Somewhere in Time fosho'. My dad gave them to me when I was three (he had extra? Yeah IDK).

n/a.

First Maiden concert:
my ONLY Maiden concert was May 31st, 2008. Somewhere Back in Time. :D Amazing.

First Maiden shirt:
a Killers vest I got when I was eight. And I still fit it!

Eddie mug. :D I was so stupid. I actually drank out of it (I was six).
see previous question.

For the musicians...
Wasted Years or Phantom. But they were both played super slow.
Never played a live show. I'm fifteen, I'd pee my pants. XD

Moonchild33 said:
First video purchased:
Videos? Puh-leaaase, I buy DVDs. XD

DVDs are videos. So are videotapes, Blu-Ray discs ... even the theatrical prints of Flight 666 count, if you can get one.

Using Sinister Minister X's template to fill in, here we go:

First song heard:
Aces High, in 1985

First single-song video seen:
The first time I saw Maiden live was watching Rock In Rio, January 11th, 1985. I don't know if it was broadcasted live, but I remember jumping on the couch while the band was playing Running Free. It's also possible I had already seen something about Maiden in 1984! The video clip I remember watching the most, on TV, was Wasted Years.

First full album heard:
Powerslave and right on the next day, perhaps, the debut, in 1985

First album bought:
Killers, as a present in my birthday, during the party back in 1986. Only Somewhere In Time I bought in 1987 and Fear Of The Dark, A Real Live & A Real Dead One I bought in 1994 and 1995 (ARLO) 'cos I was switching from vinyl to CD, and it took sometime to get things together and start buying all Maiden collection on CD. Also, my turntable was fucked in 1992, so there was no use in buying Fear Of The Dark at the time.

First album bought on release day (in my case, release year):
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, December 30rd, 1988

The First Ten Years, September 24th, 1995

First video purchased:
The First Ten Years, September 23rd, 1995

First vinyl: Killers

First cassette: Original - A Real Dead One, in 1994, borrowed from a classmate. I had all the other Maiden albums recorded on old cassettes during the 80's. Funny thing is that the last song from each side from Piece Of Mind and Live After Death I hadn't heard properly until I bought vinil or cd's later, 'cos the tapes had not enough room to fit the songs. Also, The Ides Of March and Killers I could only hear entirely in 1995, when I bought with me own money my first Maiden CD, which was Killers. The reason for that is that one fine day, back in 1987, my younger sister took the vinyl, volunteering to put it on the turntable for a listening, but it slipped from her hands and landed on the ground vertically, breaking the edge of the vinyl.

First CD: The Number Of The Beast, on December 9th, 1994.

Killers (my first vinil and CD)

First Maiden concert:
Dance Of Death tour, Pacaembu Stadium, January 17th, 2004

First Maiden shirt:
One with the blazon of The First Ten Years collection, with the band's logo on the back. I still got only the blazon, which I intend to put on the back of my denim jacket. I bought it together with Killers CD, March 31st, 1995.

A Killers patch, which I bought in 1991, but only put on my denim jacket, in 1999.

I asked my sisters to bought my first Maiden mag/giant posters, which I used to cut and glue it on paperboard to make own 'guitars', back in 1985. Ahahahahahahahahahahah. Of course, they were all destroyed by yours truly, but I managed to steal a copy of the 2 editions I had, plus one I had never seen, back in 1997. I got loads of Maiden special mags and posters.

Fear Of The Dark, in 1995.

Still didn't play any Maiden song, on stage.

Forostar said:
Man, you had to wait long for your first concert. 20 years... pfffff.

Yeah. The age limit didn't allow me to watch Maiden on Parque Antartica stadium, on August 1992, which I eventually visited last year, for my second Maiden concert. On The X Factour, I prefered to go to Galeria Do Rock (the only shopping mall in the world made exclusively for all things Heavy/Rock 'N' Roll) for a shopping. In 1998, I didn't go to see Maiden 'cos I had pre university test, on the following Sunday morning, which I failed to succeed. And for Rock In Rio 2001, I simply didn't want to go. I still can't explain and understand exactly why. What an asshole I was. Ahahahahahahahahahahahah...

SinisterMinisterX said:
DVDs are videos. So are videotapes, Blu-Ray discs ... even the theatrical prints of Flight 666 count, if you can get one.

I thought you meant, like, actual video cassettes. Like ones you pop into the VCR.

But if that's what you meant, then I'll say The Early Days DVD. It was that or Rock in Rio.

my first 8: invaders then children of the damned then the prisoner then 22 Acacia Avenue then Number of the Beast then Run to the Hills then gangland then Hallowed be thy name. (I have a really good memory :p)

My Maiden firsts:

Tailgunner was the first Maiden song I ever heard, Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter the first video I ever saw

First full album heard:
No Prayer For the Dying, 1990

First album bought:
Live After Death, 1991

Fear of the Dark, 1992

From There To Eternity, 1992

First video purchased:
From There To Eternity, 1992

First vinyl: Powerslave

First cassette: Iron Maiden

First CD: Fear Of The Dark

Piece Of Mind (cassette then CD)

First Maiden concert:

The X Factour, Baltimore, MD 1996

First Maiden shirt:

Fear of the Dark

Phantom of the Opera poster bought in 1993

Think the first Maiden song I heard was Blood Brothers. I was sitting up late when NRK (the Norwegian equivalent to BBC) showed parts of the Rock in Rio 2001 concert. I liked what I heard, and copied a few songs from a friend who had downloaded Dance of Death (Rainmaker, No More Lies, title track, Paschendale), plus some others (Hallowed, Fear of the Dark). I liked those songs, but it was not until I bought Powerslave and Seventh Son a few months later that I was really hooked. Those two albums are still my favourite albums.

Look for the Truth and then the whole X-Factor album.

When I first read the Iron Maiden forum I was really surprised the album wasn't among the fans favorites

I've said that Maiden's been around my entire life, which is true, but I just hadn't really connected the dots until much later.

Run to the Hills. Shouldn't be too much of a surprise. Heard it on the radio with my dad, and I asked him who that was and he told me it was  Iron Maiden, and that they're British but I shouldn't hold it against them. I don't remember exactly how old I was, either 7 or 8, but yeah I remember liking that song, and every other song I heard that I could associate with them, I just remember them being a really cool hard rock/metal band. And considering my childhood was filled with Dio and The Scorpions, it shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

However, it wasn't til I was 14 that I really struck out on my own to figure out the world of music without too much interference. It was 2001, and I was surfing Kazaa, looking up music videos and I saw the Rock in Rio Iron Maiden footage (at this time it was still what was taped on the tv broadcast) so I saw a few songs, and I picked the longest one I could find, since I assumed that either meant multiple songs, or something else. Anyway, it was Hallowed Be Thy Name. All it took was "When the priest comes to read me the last rites" bam, instant fan. I downloaded run to the hills and number of the beast and I was good for the time being, after all they were ones I had heard before. How foolish, how simple of an idea. Well as it so happens, time passed, and I became a metalhead. I went to some local shows, picked up a copy of Metalworks and I got a used copy of Holy Diver off of my step-dad, and had just finished listening to it when I turned on my tv and there it was: "IRON MAIDEN" advertising Edward the Great over the chorus of The Wicker Man. Suddenly, it all clicked. I rode my bike to the record store the next day and bought both Edward the Great and Brave New World (which I had started reading in school just then so the coincidence was perfect). Been die-hard since. Hell, my grandmother who lives in Maui (and is still kickin and in great health, love her dearly) took me to Borders in Kahului when I was spending a month on the island with heri and asked if there was a book and a CD I wanted. The book I picked up was Ender's Shadow (Ender's Game had been a favorite of mine) and the CD was Dance of Death.  Had my first real kiss that weekend from a gal who lived up the street. There's a reason Rainmaker will always be special. What a summer.

Ah to be young and innocently nerdy again. (I'm 23, still a huge dork and can barely grow a 5 o'clock shadow. Shhh.)

SinisterMinisterX said:
We see threads like this start all the time, so I just got an idea: let's put all the "firsts" in one place, here!

Could be interesting, because it will help us get to know each other better ... there are a few new members here who I don't know much about yet. :bigsmile:

Funny I never noticed that.

The Number of the Beast ; first video was The Wicker Man

First full album heard:
The Number of the Beast

First album bought:
Iron Maiden, on vinyl

A Matter of Life and Death - because I missed the release of Dance of Death

Rock in Rio

First video purchased:
Rock in Rio

First vinyl: Iron Maiden
First cassette: None. But I will substitute this with a CD I burned off lots of tracks I downloaded from Napster. I don't remember the exact tracklist, but I do remember it containing Powerslave, Running Free, Prowler, Virus, The Clansman, Aces High and The Trooper, and lots of others.
First CD: Fear Of The Dark (although I had bootlegged CD versions of Number of the Beast and Brave New World by that time)

Iron Maiden (bought the CD to complete the collection long after I had the original vinyl)

First Maiden concert:
A Matter of Life and Death, Paris, 28 November 2006

First Maiden shirt:
Fear of the Dark
A wristband, maybe
Good question, I think it was a Brave New World postcard

Back