Fear of the Dark

How good is Fear of the Dark on a scale of 1-10?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Fear Of The Dark' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'fear Of The Dark'

Fear of the Dark is the song that started it all for me. A friend played it for me when we were on a trip, and I needed to hear more and more!

It is fast-paced and has some of the finest guitar work I've ever heard. Unlike many Maiden songs, it sounds good when played extremely loudly! Others seem to loose their "je ne c'est quoi" at high volume.

That being said, the lyrics of Fear of the Dar leave something to be desired. Where most Maiden songs can be considered poetry set to music, this just seems to be scary-sounding situations that were strung together because they fit the music.

In all, though, I do like this song and it continues to be one of my favourites. I will warn everyone, however: Driving with this song playing is dangerous. LooseCannon and I were driving from his house to mine once, and the 25 minute drive took us about 7 (the length of the song, coincidently).

'fear Of The Dark'

And then we went to school and bragged we did this trip in one song. Negating to admit that the song was 7+ minutes long.

'fear Of The Dark'

A true Maiden classic with loads of great ideas. A spooky intro, great solos and very well structured in general. I like the live renditions better than the studio versions, since they are a played bit wilder.

'fear Of The Dark'

I noticed that this is a very good beginner song. People who are new to Maiden really get a kick out of this one. This includes myself, the first Maiden song that hooked me was the Best of the Beast live version of this. But the more I've heard it, the less I like it. It's ok, but the lyrics are a little too basic and musically I can't help but think it lacks something.

4 stars still.

'fear Of The Dark'

The most of the times I meet someone who isn't really into Maiden, and wasn't into Metal i the 80:s the first song they think of is FotD. And I don't understand why. It's not that good. Especially not the studioversion, since Bruce doesn't sing very good on that particular album.

Although, the liveversions are great. They have everything the studioversion doesn't have. But still, It's not that good. Does people like it because of the lyrics? The guitars? The drums? The bass? or, most unlikely, because of Bruce's singing? Please, could someone explain to me why it's that good, since I don't understand.

Anyway, I decided to give it 3 stars, since it's at least average.

Cheers [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

Re: 'Fear Of The Dark'

This was one of the first Maiden songs I've heard(it made me asking for more). I've seen the video on the tv on this show where they played all kinds of music. I remember watching the whole show waiting to see FOTD.

I guess people like it for a number of reasons-  the scary sounding intro followed by the furious playing and singing, and then by the great chorus that's easy to sing along.
But I think the crucial thing about this song is the topic it's addressing. People can relate to it, and I mean, every human being had felt fear of the dark. You know, walking a dark road at night(alone), watching a horror movie, listening to scary folk stories about vampires and witches as a kid-just like the song says. We all had and still have fear of the dark on occasions. Just today around 19:30, after the last class, I was walking through the courtyard of my school, the lights were off for some reason, and instantly I felt like going "I am a man who walks alone..." :ninja:

I love the song, listening to live versions remind me of being at the concert, everyone humming at the beginning and knowing i was there doing that

I love the guitar work on the song and the lyrics are just so cool, you can just imagine walking down a dark road and feeling that way ad like Urizen said, everyone can relate. whenever I'm walking and it gets darker the main riff goes through my head and i feel like singing the song......

Even though I must admit the dark still makes me feel kinda uneasy, I've never really liked this song. I think it's just OK. Yeah, this might sound like blasphemy to many, but I think Maiden has written much better songs than this one.

One of the strongest tracks on the album. Top lyrics, great live a real crowd pleaser, I like the intro and the build up to the whole thing kicking off.

Daily Song: Fear of the Dark

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Fear of the Dark

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.
Why yes, I will have this. One of the greatest Maiden songs of all time; it's as iconic as any of the other great tracks. This is to the 1990s what The Trooper was to the 1980s and what Brave New World is to the 2000s.

10/10. If I don't see this live when I finally see Maiden, I will be devastated.

Re: Daily Song: Fear of the Dark

I don't care if it's over-played live. The slow, haunting melody bursts into the supreme awesome riff. Bruce does a great job (compared to the previous turd)... A Metal classic.

10/10.

This song comes alive phenomenally, and even the live versions are loads better than the studio version.  However, it's still not Maiden's best live song (that would be The Clansman) and not quite up there with the other songs I've given 10 to.  A high 9/10.

Of course over-played is not important if you haven't seen any Maiden concert in your live (duh!) and it will never be overplayed either because Maiden will only do a few tours before they quit.

But since this song exists, I have seen all Maiden's tours (apart from one in 1993) and the band always played this track. Only not in The Early Days tour, when the band focussed on the first four albums.

Still, this track was even present during the Somewhere Back in Time tour, and that really went to far.
An obsessive choice.

As Maiden constantly keeps staring at this single track I am beginning to think that the band regards their nineties period (in which they worked their asses off to keep the fire burning) as something forgettable. I guess Maiden rather have more hands clapping instead of doing something less predictable.

I admit that this song is a nice presentation because it works well. But it works so well that it haunts as a dark(!) shadow over all the other beautiful material from the nineties. And that's why I drag all this context into a beautiful studio track: I like some of the other nineties material so much -and wish they'd get some more attention- that I can't separate it. That's why this song makes my beard grow faster when I hear it.

Besides, I never liked the studio version as much as the A Real Live One version, because the energy is phenominal on that one (and nowadays the band plays the fast parts too slow imo).

And to be honest, I don't find his voice sound much better than on the average track of the album. The melody might help, but the singing really isn't a great job.

Despite its tiring ever presence it's still worth an 8, because of the quality. I particularly like the melodies and solos and the bass is very stimulating.

I used to loathe this song as it was the title track and epic of an album that I did not like for many years. It wasn't until the SBIT tour that I chose to give this song a second chance and am so glad for that decision. It is a stellar track full of classic riffs, solos and imagery...the Hallowed Be Thy Name of the 90s.

I really like this track, but it's not up there with Hallowed, Rime and the others I've given 10.

Bruce doesn't sing any better on this than on the majority of the songs on the album, and I actually think the song lacks a little dynamics (the studio version, that is). It doesn't represent anything original. However, it is very, very enjoyable, of course great to sing along to, and I find the solos great. 9/10.

10/10. By far the very best track on the album and quite possibly one of their best tracks ever. What I really like about this is the crowd signing along with the melodies at the start. Fantastic song and great live. It's another one of those tracks that "holds back" with the Maiden gallop until the second chorus.

The live version is far better than the studio version. Studio version feels incomplete and irregular to me. Bruce's vocal melodies don't really suit to the song. But in the live version, it's the complete one. Bruce sings it perfectly and the melodies suit to the composition. The song has the trademark Iron Maiden melodies, solo is perfect. The song its own atmosphere and actually gives the feeling of "Fear of the Dark". I've listened to this song in pure darkness and deep silence and it was amazing. One of the two best songs of the album along with Afraid to Shoot Strangers. Is in my Top 5 90's Maiden Songs list. 10/10.

Back