Favourite Iron Maiden Drummer

Who is your favourite Iron Maiden drumer?

• Doug Sampson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clive Burr

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Nicko McBrain

Votes: 17 77.3%

• Total voters
It depends on what you like about drummers (in Iron Maiden).

I often read that Nicko is not the tighest drummer, live. We also know that he makes mistakes sometimes. If I have to be honest, I think Clive was the more perfect live drummer (making less mistakes and he plays more tight).
I also think that Clive did the tracks of "his" albums better than Nicko, though I prefer Nicko's interpretations of most NOTB-tracks.

Still, to play supertight is for me not the most important aspect of drumming. Nicko brought more variety to Maiden's music because he could (and still can) do more different things.

I think as a drummer it's not just how tight he plays, but how consistent he is throughout his/her career.  The music being done, especially on the last album seems much more progressive and faster than stuff done on the first 3 albums, which seemed simple in comparison.  Nicko ranks up there with Ian Paice and Terry Bozzio in my opinion.

Eh, Forostar you've been in this online debate before huh? 

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.rock-n-roll.metal.ironmaiden/browse_thread/thread/bf941802a3e4442b/6320db12ffedb4f6?lnk=st&q=clive+burr+vs+nicko+mcbrain&rnum=3&hl=en#6320db12ffedb4f6

Found that pretty funny.

TrooperEd said:
I think as a drummer it's not just how tight he plays, but how consistent he is throughout his/her career.  The music being done, especially on the last album seems much more progressive and faster than stuff done on the first 3 albums, which seemed simple in comparison.   Nicko ranks up there with Ian Paice and Terry Bozzio in my opinion.

Eh, Forostar you've been in this online debate before huh? 

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.rock-n-roll.metal.ironmaiden/browse_thread/thread/bf941802a3e4442b/6320db12ffedb4f6?lnk=st&q=clive+burr+vs+nicko+mcbrain&rnum=3&hl=en#6320db12ffedb4f6

Found that pretty funny.

Hehehe that was aeons ago! The good old alt.rock-n-roll.metal.ironmaiden newsgroup (I even saw a post of analogkid2112, who was a mate of Baeleron and Maverick, he did some Spanish translations of the Commentary)!

Yep, that's me! ;) Seems I was way less nice, back in those days! :p
In those times Maiden was very often attacked, I guess it made me quite sharp.

O man, what a thread!! Thanks for this bit of fun and nostalgia ;)

:ok:  I thought it was a good read as well.  Time flies though....jeez I've reread old posts on other boards i've been on and it's hard to believe some are 5 or 6 years old. 

Cheers to you for Upping the Irons to the non-believers :ok:

Clive Burr. His drumming was simply amazing! While Nicko is a great drummer, especially the jazz/fusion style he brings, Clive was on hell of a metal drummer. Bruce has said "Clive was the best drummer the band has ever had".

Back