Favourite Iron Maiden Drummer

Who is your favourite Iron Maiden drumer?

• Doug Sampson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clive Burr

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Nicko McBrain

Votes: 17 77.3%

• Total voters
There is no comparrison, i have been a drummer for close on thirty years. Clive Burr is without a shadow of a doubt a better drummer, he is tight, solid, great fills, fantastic feel for the quieter passages, and much more power in the overall sound of maiden. people go on about nicko being technically superior which isn't the case. Nicko is a one trick pony. Think about it! He always does a lot of fills to rest or break from the signature beat, on his live stuff he is very sloppy. if you listen to his fills most of them are basically the same, with one or two different beats here and there, his bass drum beat is nearly always the same, the off beat.His trick is always play the same on the bass drum as what his right hand is doing. POOR.....

[!--QuoteBegin-Conor+Aug 8 2005, 01:03 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Aug 8 2005, 01:03 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Clive is probably the better drummer but Nicko is more of a character in the band and a funny guy. Clive also had weird hair in his day!
[snapback]114467[/snapback]​
[/quote]
[!--emo&:angry:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/mad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'mad.gif\' /][!--endemo--] you are talking rubbish, never heard that one before, clive is quicker than nicko!

[!--QuoteBegin-drum1707+Dec 20 2005, 11:10 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(drum1707 @ Dec 20 2005, 11:10 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--][!--emo&:angry:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/mad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'mad.gif\' /][!--endemo--] you are talking rubbish, never heard that one before, clive is quicker than nicko!
[snapback]125564[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Easy on, it's a light hearted discussion man [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Both drummers are fast but I think Nicko has "the fastest right foot in rock" as the cliche goes.

I haven't actually voted, and I don't intend to.
I'm going to voice my opinion anyway. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Clive was only around for 2 full studio albums and as much as I'd love to say he was great. Nicko remains in my heart as Iron Maiden's drummer and thus being my favourite.

Not necessarily the best. Just my favourite.
Which is exactly what the topic asked. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

With respect to you, it was three full albums, and i have tracked Clive Burr's Recorded output since 1978, Everyone has got their own opinion on who is the better, but if you don't give your own opinion, what's the point in voting. I was there listening to the change in drummers in 1983, and i was very disapointed in what i heard, even though a lot of people think Nicko is the heart of Maiden, My heart was ripped out in 1982, When in my opinion the better drummer was fired, it was his own fault, But I am not saying Nicko isn't great, cos he his, Its just opinion that makes the world go round

Doug Sampson...... [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

This is a hard question. I really like Clive's drumming. Although Clive's drumming style is a lot simpler than Nicko's, it still sounds great. Whoever said Clive was a slow drummer is wrong. Just listen to Purgatory or Run to the Hills. Still though, my favorite maiden drummer has to be Nicko, not only because of his incredible skills as a drummer, but because of his overall contribution to Maiden.

I just noticed this:
[!--QuoteBegin-Ascendancy+Nov 5 2005, 05:02 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ascendancy @ Nov 5 2005, 05:02 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]...in the live Donnington video of probably 'Infinite Dreams' on 'Visions of the Beast'...
[snapback]122244[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I believe that video is taken from Maiden England, not Donnington.

With all respect for Mr. Clive Burr,I'd say Nicko just edges this one.

Clive's best: Killers,POTO,RTTH and Murders in the Rue Morgue.
Nicko's best: TROTAM,CSIT,SOTC (Rio),Paschendale.

Nicko: Well,more stuff to his name. One of my favourite drummers. Being a drummer myself.

Clive: Loads of energy put into the songs.

But it doesn't get much better than Nicko performing live. [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Although only recently listening to most of Clives work, I have compared this to nickos versions of these songs.
Result Clive beats him by a whisker.

I think Nicko is the best. He´s far more inventive than Clive, and Nickos drumming on somewhere in time and seventh son is outstanding. The drumming on the last couple of albums is really good too but not as imaginitive as the earlier albums.

Fixed the poll. Everybody will have to vote again (you can also change your vote if your opinion changes). :)

I am a drummer and I like Clive the best.  His drumming is simpler and more in the groove.  Nicko inserts too many complexities.  Also, Clive could groove well with his hi-hat.  He also played sixteenth notes for some of the songs, ie Run To The Hills.  You don't hear many metal drummers playing 16th notes on the hi-hat much.  Also, the groove he plays for Phantom of the Opera fits the song perfectly. 

blandersong said:
I am a drummer and I like Clive the best.  His drumming is simpler and more in the groove.  Nicko inserts too many complexities.  Also, Clive could groove well with his hi-hat.  He also played sixteenth notes for some of the songs, ie Run To The Hills.  You don't hear many metal drummers playing 16th notes on the hi-hat much.  Also, the groove he plays for Phantom of the Opera fits the song perfectly.   

Clive played also Wrathchild (16th notes on hi-hat!) way better than Nicko ever did.

I think Clive's right hand was faster than Nicko's but Nicko's an overall better drummer. His fills are incredibly, always creative as anything. His accenting with cymbals in marvelously well done to the songs, and never once does he over play. He just suits all the songs he plays on so well. Also his right foot's enough to say he's got better technique, let alone his other three limbs. But his ride work is very jazzy, and love his depatrutre from traditional single stroke work. I just think Clive was a fast punk drummer.. He was good, don't get me wrong, he could do some crazy stuff, but I dunno.. he doesn't impress me as much as Nicko.

So, to sum it up: I choose Doug Sampson.... Kidding.

Although Nicko has his moments, I'll have to go with Clive. He's more original with his beats. But the main reason is because Nicko screws with some of the songs Clive orignally played on, by slowing them down. A prime example is the Dortmund version of "Sanctuary".

Nicko is a character, a funny guy who adds more life to the band.  He just seems like a likeable fellow. Plus, I greatly enjoy his drumming.

With all due respect to Clive, Nicko is by far the more superior drummer.  Clive did all of 3 albums (I know there are reasons for this) but, Nicko has done 11 albums.  Now, if he wasn't that good, don't you think he would've been replaced at some point in the last 24 years?  The man is now 53 years old and still kicking major arse!  Not only has Nicko stood the test of time but he has performed exceptional over the years and those saying he hasn't do not have a good ear for his drumming or knowledge of drumming at all and are voting an opinion based on a name.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion. ;)

Back