favourite 3 consecutive songs?

Satellite 15...The Final Frontier, El Dorado, Mother of Mercy
22 Acacia Ave, Number of the Beast, Run to the Hills
Where Eagles Dare, Revalation, The Flight of Icarus

Chartwell said:
Lot of good 'uns in here - current favs include:

1. Die with your boots on/the Trooper/Still Life (i think the original three-peat)
2. Brighter than a Thousand Suns/The Pilgrim/Longest Day
3. CSIT/Wasted Years/Sea of Madness
4. Montsegur/Dance of Death/Gates of Tomorrow

TFF has some great songs, might be one of their best overall, but the slightly weaker ones keep a three-track run out of contention (for now). If Alchemist or El Dorado or Isle of Avalon were where the Man Who Would Be King is now, I'd have a perfect run of four (Starblind/Talisman/any of the above/WTWWB).

Since I'm revising some old posts, I'd like to say I think AMOLAD has a perfect 8 song run, from Different World through FTGGOG. Lord of Light starts to lose me and then the Legacy... well, less said about it the better. But I think it's the strongest stretch on any Maiden album. Would I change the order around a bit? Yep, especially to break up the last few. But that wouldn't change the fact that it's the strongest run of songs.

When the Wild Wind Blows, Satellite 15... The Final Frontier, El Dorado
Heaven Can Wait, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Stranger in a Strange Land
Can I Play with Madness, The Evil That Men Do, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Phantom -> Transylvania -> Strange World
TLOTLDR -> SIASL -> Deja-vu
The Clansman -> WTWC -> The Educated Fool

Here's a few of my favorites.
Heaven Can Wait, Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Stranger in a Strange Land
Die With Your Boots On, The Trooper, Still Life
Children of the Damned, Prisoner, 22 Acacia Avenue
Can I play With Madness? The Evil That Men Do, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
For The Greater Good of God, Lord of Light, The Legacy
Any of the combinations possible for the last 5 songs on The Final Frontier.

Wicker Man -> Ghost of the Navigator -> Brave New World
Sign of the Cross -> Lord of the Flies -> Man on the Edge
Judgement of Heaven -> Blood on the World's Hands -> Edge of Darkness

Phantom->Tranyslavania->Strange World, flow together so perfectly.

Top Five Sets (Not in any order):

Stranger In A Strange Land/Deja Vu/ Alexander The Great

Invaders/Children of the Damned/The Prisoner

Out of the Shadows/The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg/For The Greater Good of God

Afraid To Shoot Strangers/Fear Is The Key/Childhood's End (wish I could make it 4, since i adore "Wasting Love" following that)

Blood Brothers/The Mercenary/Dream Of Mirrors

Where Eagles Dare / Revelation / Flight of Icarus
Stranger in a Strange Land / Deja Vu / Alexander the Great
Ghost of the Navigator / Brave New World / Blood Brothers
Isle of Avalon / Starblind / The Talisman

OK, so horourable mentions first:

Back in the Village / Powerslave / Rime

Seventh Son / The Prophecy / The Clairvoyant

Moonchild / Infinite Dreams / Can I Play

The first three of AMOLAD / The last four of AMOLAD (7-9 or 8-10, any combination)

Because of very specific personal reasons I nearly picked The Wicker Man / Ghost of the Navigator / Brave New World (let it be my secret vote, then)

But…

For me it's The Nomad / Out of the Silent Planet / The Thin Line Between Love and Hate that makes the cake.

There's a lot to be said for:
Where Eagles Dare / Revelations / Flight of Icarus as a three, followed by:
Revelations / Flight of Icarus / The Trooper, and:
Flight of Icarus / The Trooper / Still Life...

Also, Ides / Wrathchild / Murders in the Rue Morgue is a hell of a way to kick off an album.

But my personal fave three-in-a-row is Moonchild / Infinite Dreams / Madness. And the next five after that are pretty good too.

Revelations / Flight of Icarus / The Trooper, and:
Flight of Icarus / The Trooper / Still Life...

You're forgetting Die With Your Boots On there mate :p. Not that DWYBO is a bad song at all though.

The best for myself personally would have to be the first three from Somewhere In Time. I can't praise CSIT enough, it's an incredible track from start to finish, Wasted Years blends a perfect mix of metal and the upbeat mainstream, and Sea Of Madness is an underrated classic, a hard and atmospheric track, something SIT honed really well.

I'm also quite surprised with the lack of discussion for the first three Powerslave tracks. Aces High and 2 Minutes To Midnight are both classics and are probably the best one-two punch you can find, but Losfer Words is a solid instrumental, creating album atmosphere as opposed to its own atmosphere. I've always viewed Losfer Words as a musical transition from the first section of Powerslave into the second, and it does that job perfectly, and it's still a fun instrumental even without the context included. It keeps Powerslave's momentum going on very well.

No More Lies, Montsegur and Dance Of Death is also a nice combo on DOD. I'm a sucker for No More Lies, Montsegur is among the heaviest tracks they've done since the Bruce reunion and while I believe Dance Of Death to be quite overrated, it's still a very good song that flows well, creating a solid three-way combo.

Last edited:
You're forgetting Die With Your Boots On there mate :p. Not that DWYBO is a bad song at all though.

You're right, insert DWYBO as well. Basically the whole album except Quest For Fire.

I agree about Montsegur as well, that is an awesomely heavy cruncher of a song.

The Wicker Man - Ghost Of The Navigator - Brave New World

Last edited:
Back