Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Beast Over Hammersmith
2. Live After Death
3. Rock in Rio
4. Maiden England
5. Live At Donnington
6. A Real Live/Dead One

Live After Death - this was one of the frst albums I got; I think that I maybe only had NOTB, Piece of Mind and Powerslave when I was given a copy of Live After Death.
As a rule I love live albums, and this is my favourite Maiden one.

Plus, that lycra that they all wear..... I mean, WOW!! [!--emo&:eek:mg:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/eek2.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'eek2.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

To me, all the live albums have advantages and disadvantages.

My favourite setlist is on Rock In Rio, and I also think the performance is awesome. The stage set and production are breathtaking. There are some flaws in the set though; the editing on the DVD gets a little annoying and untrustworthy (how come the guitars switch colours in the middle of the song?); Bruce appears like an arrogant little troll at times, and of course there's Janicks solo on "Hallowed..."; while I defend this solo, I still don't like it.

Live At Donington is a magnificent performance, but somehow seems to lack something. It also has the flaws of an awful live rendition of "From Here To Eternity", and in general, the setlist leaves to be desired. Of course, there's the benefit of the moment when H joins the stage during "Running Free".

A Real Live/Dead One is perhaps my least favourite release. When I first heard it on a Stereo system, I was actually checking several times if both speakers work- and they did! The sound has the quality of a better bootleg, and is certainly not worthy of an official Maiden release.
The plus points of this album, however, are some rare live tracks ("Transylvania", "Remember Tomorrow") and the good crowd mix, as well as the decent performance of most tracks. Doesn't save it for me, however.

Live After Death has an awesome setlist, awesome production and awesome musicianship; in fact almost everything about this album is awesome. Sadly, Bruce isn't. His vocal performances on some tracks (e.g. "Aces High", "ROTAM") are outright awful. This does sometimes spoil it for me.

Beast Over Hammersmith is not perfect in many regards. But it has a unique feeling most of the other live albums lack. I get a bit irrational here, but moments such as the spoken intro to NOTB, which is for once not repeated by the audience, but instead echoes over a silent, yet present crowd, makes the whole thing haunting beyond belief. In fact, I think some songs actually benefit from the lack of audience participation; not that I don't enjoy hearing the audience during tracks like "NOTB" or "HBTN", but it just has so much more this way. For me at least. That's why my vote goes to Beast Over Hammersmith.

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Aug 4 2005, 10:29 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Aug 4 2005, 10:29 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]...but moments such as the spoken intro to NOTB, which is for once not repeated by the audience, but instead echoes over a silent, yet present crowd, makes the whole thing haunting beyond belief.
[snapback]113994[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I apologise for being off topic.
But this is some serious style of writing that needs to be pointed out [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

My English teacher loved and hated me for things like that [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Aug 4 2005, 07:29 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Aug 4 2005, 07:29 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]To me, all the live albums have advantages and disadvantages.

My favourite setlist is on Rock In Rio, and I also think the performance is awesome. The stage set and production are breathtaking. There are some flaws in the set though; the editing on the DVD gets a little annoying and untrustworthy (how come the guitars switch colours in the middle of the song?);[/quote]

Interesting comment Perun! Never seen this.

Would you point out where the colours switch?
Which song(s), which guitar player(s)?

Thanks in advance, if you can make time for that!

I have seen other mistakes though: Nicko plays his ride cymbal (audio) but you see him playing the hi-hat. Luckily this doesn't happen that much.

[!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Rock In Rio [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Great songs, Bruce's singing is better than ever and because I was there !

Rock in Rio, it features a variety of their career. But it leaves out some great songs. Oh well.

Live after death is their greatest live recordings as it was taken during their prime during their biggest tours.

Definitely Rock in Rio!

Bruce's singing is absolutely brilliant and I love his versions of both The Clansman and Sign of the Cross!
Not to mention Run to the Hills, the guy's been running around, jumping, dancing and singing for almost two hours and still he reaches the high notes on the final song!
How does he do that?? [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Done. Anyone who has a previous vote can inform me and it will be changed after you post your new reasons.

Has to be live after death....Theyre the best live recordings of those songs ive ever heard or should i say best live recording of maiden full stop....Although id put death on the road into a close second because I love hearing some of the songs on that live...paschendale, lord of the flies...i could go on

Rock In Rio has my vote, they played everything perfectly, if not better than studio [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I voted Life after death!!

It is one of the first albums I heard and bought (1987). I was blown away!!! What a clean production and the band is really good. Bruce's vocals are just al little screamy but it sounded good.

Second I must say Beast over Hammersmith, I only heard a vew songs but it is awesome!!! Another life with the rare drum solo at the beginning!

Third is Rock in Rio, great show with much power!

I voted for Rock in Rio... The gigantic crowd gives liek an adrelanline rush... I like qhen people sing along in concerts

The best is A Real Live/Dead One, have everything!!! from the early days of maiden to fear of the dark, I know that are important songs missing like killers, The sign of the cross, clansman, dance of death

and I love "Made in Japan" it is Excelent

[!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Its hard to decide which is the best livealbum. Both Rock in Rio and Live after Death are outstanding shows, but i decided to vote for rock in rio becouse i love the versions of Fear of the dark and Sign of the cross [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
And i like hallowed be thy name version more at rock in rio but on the other hand, they played flight of icarus at live after death....... [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--] both great shows.........

Im the only one to do so, as of yet, but I chose Death On The Road.

I like the way Can I Play With Madness is sung, I also prefer the DotR version of Brave New World to the version on RiR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back