• Death On The Road

Votes: 9 7.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SinisterMinisterX

Illuminatus
Staff member
IMPORTANT: Don't just vote, reply and tell us about your answer! (Maverick's edit: votes without comments will simply be deleted.)

About the poll choices: I omitted Live + 1 and Maiden Japan as these were only EPs, not full-length albums. Also remember that this poll is about official live albums only, not boots.

I vote for Live After Death. It's the first Maiden album I ever bought. It has nearly every great song from the first 5 albums. It documents what may have well been their greatest tour. The original vinyl packaging was superb.

The performances are virtually flawless throughout the entire record, though Bruce's vocal on "Aces High" leaves something to be desired. I suspect his voice wasn't sufficiently warmed up before the show - from my experience with singing, I think that is the most likely cause of his screaming in a monotone rather than singing the melody. But by the end of that first song, everyone seems to be in high gear and I have no more complaints about the rest of it.

One thing I especially love about this record, as compared to Rock In Rio, is that there was very little editing. You really hear the band as they played that night. RiR is great, but it sounds too processed to my ears. LAD is raw, the way metal should be.

My favourite was Live After Death for many years, but the 1982 Hammersmith one has replaced it in my heart... mostly because of Clive "proper" drumming on songs that Nicko happily massacres on subsequent live albums!

Live after death is for me the best album, when i saw the video that was the first time i saw who the band members were so it was my first encounter with the band [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] plus Powerslave was the first studio album i ever heard so both are very special to me.

Live After Death. The songs just aren't done as well live, on their other releases.

I may be the only one here who votes for it, but my honest favourite is rock in rio. It contains my favourite track, Fear of the Dark and at this show it sounds better than ever. I like blood brothers on this one too. The rest of the songs are great, the only let down is sign of the cross, which blaze sings infinitely better.

I voted for Rock in Rio too. It is the first Maiden Album I bought and Fear of the Dark Version of this show made me a fan. I love every Song on this Album and I enjoy it when I listen to it more than every other Album.

I don't own Live at Donington 1992 or A Real Live/Dead One, so I can't say anything about them. Rock in Rio and Live After Death are good, but The BBC Archives and Beast Over Hammersmith kick ass(!), though Hammersmith wins my vote.

I have to go with RiR. I've always loved the later works - and especially live. Plus it was one of the first albums I owned.

During the Sign of the Cross instrumental on the DVD, there's a part where Nicko looks at the camera and says "Hi mum!". Or so it would seem, by reading his lips.

though Rock in Rio does sound kind of processed...it is still my favourite album because everytime i hear the wickerman i just feel so brilliant cos its like an adrenaline rush ....its also the first maiden cd i ever bought...and ever since i bought it, i never looked back...

Live after Death for several reasons :
* it is the first maiden album I've ever heard (double LP at that time)
* for me the Phantom Of The Opera version of this live is one of the best

I don't really like Live albums, but my favorite is Live after Death, even if I can't stand 'Hallowed be Thy Name' on this one.

But the sound is perfect : Martin Birch is the master ! [!--emo&:bow:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/bowdown.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'bowdown.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Lib+Jan 14 2005, 11:24 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Lib @ Jan 14 2005, 11:24 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I don't really like Live albums, but my favorite is Live after Death, even if I can't stand 'Hallowed be Thy Name' on this one.

But the sound is perfect : Martin Birch is the master ! [!--emo&:bow:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/bowdown.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'bowdown.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]96013[/snapback]​
[/quote]

The way Bruce Dickinson sings must be hard on his voice, so by the time they record the album it's probably worn out. Do you own Eddie's Archives? Beast Over Hammersmith almost sounds studio quality! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Live after death is the best live album ever.
Followed closely by Rock In Rio.

Note: I dont think the live stuff from that box should be here.
Because its limited!

I voted for Rock In Rio for two reasons :
- The show is the greatest of them all, with excellent songs, and an excellent singing by Bruce, followed great live music by the rest of the band.
- I saw the dvd, and I really really liked it, so I'll give my vote to it.
And for the greatest song of the concert it will clearly be "A light... in the black.. oh... just a Fear of the Dark " !!

Anyway, they are all great (that's for sure... it's Iron Maiden!) , but R-in-R is my favorite live album of them all.

Call me nuts, but my favorite out of these is 'Live at Donnington'. I have always a soft point for this one as the sound seems to me the most 'untouched' of all the live albums they have released.

Another reason might be that I'd rather watch a live video that listen to a live album (I'd rather listen to a studio one) and 'Live at Donnington' is by very far, the best video they've released. The edit is really classy.

The setlist isn't the best one though, as I'm not too keen on NPFTD and some FOTD material, but I started to appreciate this 'era' better with this record.

Please note that even if I do agree that ARLO and ARDO might have some subpar production, I love to listen to the crowd singing along. This is when a Maiden live record is at its best.

Cheers

RIR that show was fascinating, so full of Energy! I loved their performance there!
Great Show!!!

& yeah Live after death & Maiden England are GREAT too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back