Favorite Current Iron Maiden Lead Guitarist

Who is your favourite current Iron Maiden lead guitarist?

• Dave Murray

Votes: 51 39.5%
  • Adrian Smith

Votes: 63 48.8%
  • Janick Gers

Votes: 15 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, in case people thought Dave can't play fast, or that he hardly varies his technique or that he never works out a solo before recording, check out "Moonchild" (speed!) and "Weekend Warrior" (great build-up). Just a few examples.

When it comes to difficulty, I'd like to have Thingfish input as well. Which Dave solos, which Janick solos and which Adrian solos are difficult in his opinion?

Moonchild? You mean the 2nd solo? The first one is H, am I right? *It seems to me I have a harder time distinguishing H and Dave on 7th Son. Did either one of them use a different guitar or something?*

Dave's solo in Killers is real fast. So is Lightning Strikes Twice.

Forostar said:
By the way, in case people thought Dave can't play fast, or that he hardly varies his technique or that he never works out a solo before recording, check out "Moonchild" (speed!) and "Weekend Warrior" (great build-up). Just a few examples.

When it comes to difficulty, I'd like to have Thingfish input as well. Which Dave solos, which Janick solos and which Adrian solos are difficult in his opinion?

lol, I dont think anyone needs to have Dave's speed proving to them. Also, I can recall one instance of Dave using tapping, which was the solo on Public Enema Number One.

Powergirl81 said:
Moonchild? You mean the 2nd solo?

Exactly. I honestly think Adrian could never play this fluently and fast as Dave.

@Ardius: there are various other tapping solos by Dave, check his stuff on SSOASS for example. I think Dave did such solos more often than Adrian, and most of them faster as well.

My point is not really that I like Dave's solos better.
It's more that I think the stuff Dave does, is not easier than what Adrian does.

That tapping you talked about, it's kinda like the Eddie Van Halen stuff he does on say, Hot For Teacher and stuff on the first Van Halen album? Both hands doing stuff on the neck?

Yep, it's that.

You seem to focus a lot on the technique, and state that Dave and Janick use less different kind of techniques than Adrian. Might be, but still, in my ears, Adrian often plays the same kind of technique(s).

Believe me, dissect his SIT solos or some post 97 stuff (BD stuff, reunion era...), and you can clearly see how much different techniques he can use.

For me his sound, the way he presses the snares, is much more his trademark. It sounds typical Adrian, and is more unique about him, than anything else. His long and deep tones have an unmistakable H sound.

Yes, he has a unique picking hand. But we all know that...i was trying to shed some light on what he does on the fret with the left hand  :D

Now this CSIT solo. Indeed, some parts are very fast, but his fast parts are often around the same notes, while Dave’s solo in CSIT is really going over a big part of the neck.

Dave looks more impressive visually, he is playing all over the fretboard, but in essence he's playing in the same scale all the time.

Ergo, you can play the higher E note while pushing 12fret of the E string, or seventh fret of the A string, or even higher E while playing open high E string, or that same high E on the ninth fret of the G string. His hands are all over the place, but that doesn't necessary mean that he's playing a wider pallete of the notes.

Great example of this can be seen on the Walking On Glass recording from Spectrum (available on youtube). When they both play that harmony at once, before the snowman theme kicks in, Murray's fingers seem dancing around, while H's fingers are essentialy on the single place. However, they are playing the same thing, with two different techniques....while Murray is playing the whole thing on the B string, H is playing on two strings.

Dave's way may look visually more exciting, but H's technique sounds better. Because of two-string picking, the previous string always remains a bit resonant, which adds extra feel.

The whole scaling riff thingie on CSIT solo can be played on the D string only. There's a very noticable difference in the sound if you're playing it that way, even if you start by playing on the seventh fret of A string. The proper way goes all scaling, from 12th fret of the E string. When you start your run that way, the previous string you picked will remain resonant a bit, and it will add that unique feel that H played there.

Thus, Murray's all around the fretboard adventure may seem more complex, but in essence, he is playing simpler stuff than H does.

Dave’s solo is fast, fluently and the fingers of his left hand move very fast and perfect over the notes. That might be more difficult than Adrian's solo, but I guess that depends who you'll ask.

I can play both, and when you play so the thing really sounds like them, every harmonic, every squeal, every tap, every pulloff...H's solo is definetly really really more complex.

I understand people like Adrian, but it seems Dave and Janick are getting more and more underrated on this forum lately.

Adrian is my main influence, started really playing guitar 10 years ago when i heard his stuff from SIT. Up to that point, i was playing acoustic guitar and i knew chords and stuff like that. His playing made me hand out 700 euros for a real normal electric guitar.

But, Murray is my second influence. I love switching to the neck pup and doing legato runs all the way ;)

He is not underrated in my chart by any means, it's just that i think H is more technically proficient player, and i prefer H's sound. Murray is in second place, but they're both above any other guitarist i heard (and i've heard many...).

Regarding Janick, his playing is sometimes below Maiden's standard. His songwriting and an addition to the band is essential.

I don't like his soloing, nor his sloppy shredding over experimental style. But he's a great character and i don't tolerate "janick sucks" stuff either.

To me this says that Dave can do a lot of things but that he doesn't necesarily have to show it all the time, because there's "enough scope in Iron Maiden’s music for all three guitarists to express themselves".

Exactly. But that doesn't mean that H is using all his knowledge and tech stuff for Maiden solos.

On that Youtube vid (his guitar.com lesson), he is asked to demonstate heavy picking. He starts to shred like those big shredders do, and then he says - "well you can do that sort of stuff, but Maiden has a unique sound, so we can't change it".

Therefore, i think that both Dave and H, after 30+ years of active playing, 2000 shows and all stuff they did in between, can play guitar like any other big name can.

It's just that they're limited by Maiden's scope. I love that scope, but it would be really really weird if H started shredding all over the place in a song, and before that Murray performed 30 seconds worth of Van Halen-type double tappings.

They both are doing the best they can in that Maiden scope. H uses fast shreddings from time to time, in a certain dose, so it doesn't ruin the melody troughout the solo.

Oh and Zare, you said you love the solos from SIASL and Prodigal Son? Hell yeah! True awesomeness! Don't forget Wasted Years and The Evil That Men Do!

Heh, of course  :yey:

I'm not up on all the guitar terminology (convolusion tapping, arpeggio, legato, it's all Greek to me

Ok, a quick lesson  :D

Legato is the technique when you play the notes in a most tight sequence, eg playing a next note without the gap from the previous. That's why the Murray's style seems so fluid. In guitar terms, not general music terms, Murray's playing is filled with successive hammerons and pullofs. Hammer-on is when you hold a note at the fret, and then you hammer some other fret on the string with your other finger. Pull-off is a reverse proces, still holding two fingers on two frets, but now you release the second fret and you pull it off with your finger.

Combinating hammer-ons and pullofs gives great legato style.

Arpeggio is, in essence, a chord played note by note.

Tapping is similiar to hammeron and pullof combination, but you don't pull off the strings, nor you use heavy hammering. You simply touch the other fret, with a unique feeling i can't now describe in words  :D And, picking hand is different, when using legato hammeron and pulloff combination, you can just hit the string once in every two or four presses of the fretting hand, so it just keeps ringing. At tapping, you can either play by only using your left hand, or pick each note with your right hand.

Convolution sequence is something of a revolving sequence...if you have, let's say, a C-D-E-F-G-A sequence,  you can use triplets in convolutionary sequence, thus getting C-D-E, D-E-F, E-F-G, F-G-A.

Convolution tapping would be just like playing convolution scale and also use tapping technique described above.

Check out "Moonchild"

Well, that would be impressive for an average guitarist, but not impressive for Murray. The "fast" part is really simple double tapping, and even the third tap position doesn't change.

I would suggest watching the Aces High video for his real speed show-off, and the Sign Of The Cross from RIR for his tapping abilities  :yey:

Moonchild? You mean the 2nd solo? The first one is H, am I right? *It seems to me I have a harder time distinguishing H and Dave on 7th Son. Did either one of them use a different guitar or something?

(listing longer solos, not simpler melody lines ala intro to Infinite Dreams and such)

Moonchild - Adrian, Dave
Infinite Dreams - Dave, Adrian
The Clairvoyant - Dave
Can I Play With Madness - Adrian
Seventh Son Of The Seventh Son - Dave, Dave, Adrian, Adrian, Adrian
The Evil That Man Do - Adrian
The Prophecy - Dave
Only The Good Die Young - Adrian, Dave.

They used very silmilar guitars for recording, Jackson and ESP. I think they both used DiMarzio pup's for that one, but you can tell the difference because Dave is using singlecoil neck position pup for solos, and he has a different rig setup. More mellow and smoother sound on Dave's side, as always.

Zare said:
Dave's way may look visually more exciting

It's not necessarily that. To me his natural play sounds exciting.

Zare said:
I can play both..etc.

Could you let us hear us some of your recordings? We'll see what stuff is more difficult to play for you.

To know more techniques doesn't really mean to be a better guitarist. YouTube is full of wannabies who cover artists. They know all the techniques, but a lot of them have no own feel, no own sound, no own style, no own identity. To have something of your own, I find more important. And with that "something" you can do more than imitating others without any own input. Just my 2 cents, of course.

It's not necessarily that. To me his natural play sounds exciting.

Well, that's why we have the poll going on  :D

Could you let us hear us some of your recordings? We'll see what stuff is more difficult to play for you.

Not right away, because my guitar is stripped down at the moment. I'm waiting to order DiMarzio SD and ProPAF, plus a complete Roland GK-KIT-GT3 and GR30 synth. Sadly, i cannot buy that kind of stuff nowhere in Croatia.

But, with that kind of equipment on-board, i will be very, very close to the Adrian's SIT sounds, and then i'd be happy to share my playing with you all  :yey:

To know more techniques doesn't really mean to be a better guitarist. YouTube is full of wannabies who cover artists. They know all the techniques, but a lot of them have no own feel, no own sound, no own style, no own identity. To have something of your own, I find more important. And with that "something" you can do more than imitating others without any own input. Just my 2 cents, of course.

That is very true. However, as i mentioned before, H has his type of sound, and he can pack all those techniques into one great piece of music, still retaining his unique feel and his unique melody.

Zare said:
That is very true. However, as i mentioned before, H has his type of sound, and he can pack all those techniques into one great piece of music, still retaining his unique feel and his unique melody.

So can Dave (as told in earlier posts). I think it's just the sound that people prefer and the way the players bring it live. I find it hard to choose between them.

Thank you Zare! You have an abundance of knowledge on this stuff!

You answered my terminology questiuons before, so what's a "divebomb?" If I recall (it would take me too long to find a song/songs where I've heard one) don't all 3 of them divebomb sometimes?

Forostar: I remember reading that quote with H talking about Dave somewhere before. Was it on ironmaiden.com? Under the Band section? There's no doubt Murray is a smokin' guitarist. But a *few* (scant few) of his solos live/in the studio are off the mark a little bit. Say...These Colours Don't Run. When I first heard it I thought it was Janick's solo (first one, of course). Then I read it was Dave's and I was surprised. It was a tad bit sloppy and, well, to me not one of his best. I feel Janick gets sloppy a lot. Especially on BNW. Dream Of Mirrors is his shining moment on that album.  Like I said before, Dave has been in the band almost from its inception, and has been playing the same songs over and over. So he changes things up a bit.

And I have one solo that I feel H didn't do so well on, in my opinion...Heaven Can Wait. That sounds like he ran out of ideas...but he ends it nicely. He did SO MUCH for SIT, maybe it was at the very end of recording and he just threw it in there? I dunno, that's just my take on it.

Powergirl81 said:
Forostar: I remember reading that quote with H talking about Dave somewhere before. Was it on ironmaiden.com? Under the Band section?

Yep.

Powergirl81 said:
There's no doubt Murray is a smokin' guitarist. But a *few* (scant few) of his solos live/in the studio are off the mark a little bit. Say...These Colours Don't Run. When I first heard it I thought it was Janick's solo (first one, of course). Then I read it was Dave's and I was surprised. It was a tad bit sloppy and, well, to me not one of his best. I feel Janick gets sloppy a lot.

It's just an aggressive solo (e.g. like in Wrathchild), fitting to the heavy part it was in. I have no problems with it, when I see things in their context.

Wrathchild...wasn't that H's solo? Correct me if I'm wrong  :)

That little bit before the 2nd verse sounds like Dave, it's like 10 seconds or something...

Powergirl81 said:
Wrathchild...wasn't that H's solo? Correct me if I'm wrong  :)

The main solo is by Dave (starting around 1:01), the short ones by H.

Don't forget there's still the Iron Maiden Commentary. When you check the lyrics, you'll see solo info as well.

Forostar...didn't you help figure out solo information on the Commentary, a long time ago?

LooseCannon said:
Forostar...didn't you help figure out solo information on the Commentary, a long time ago?

Indeed, I've always done that, since the
logo_small.gif
era. ;)

I've just been searching for a while since when I did that. I thought since 1998. At least I have always been a fan of the site since the beginning. In fact, I remember I was one of the earliest persons to sign the guestbook.

Once, the "Introduction, Disclaimer, About Me and Credits"-page of the site looked like this:
http://web.archive.org/web/200009301848 ... ames2.html

You answered my terminology questiuons before, so what's a "divebomb?" If I recall (it would take me too long to find a song/songs where I've heard one) don't all 3 of them divebomb sometimes?

Yes they do. Divebomb - rapid change in pitch, towards the lower end. You can make the divebomb just by hitting the open strings, and pushing the tremolo towards the guitar body. Of course - altrough it's an easy one (i wouldn't even call it a technique, i'd call it a maneuver), real effect arises when you combinate it with other stuff.

And I have one solo that I feel H didn't do so well on, if you can believe that!  Heaven Can Wait. That sounds like he ran out of ideas...but he ends it nicely. He did SO MUCH for SIT, maybe it was at the very end of recording and he just threw it in there? I dunno, that's just my take on it.

Yeah, that solo is not good as the others on this record. Ran out of ideas? Hmm...maybe. The beginning uses the same pattern as the CSIT solo beginning, just different scale and different variation. Then he uses a lot of the blues-rock lick, altrough he doesn't play them legato...he's fond of that stuff, SIASL main riff comes to mind. The middle part is more of a faster twist around a couple of notes, for energy.

I tend to look at the whole "main" solo as an more engeretic middle part bettwen that beautiful licks on the end of the chanting part, and the whole instrumental ending melody, which is also good, as you noticed.

I voted in the minority.  It is almost too hard to pick between the three of them, I like the sound almost equally.  My take on "favorite" isn't just based on 'sound'.  I like the way Janick likes to play around.  I've read places that think it's childish and the like, but, for me, I think it'd be great to be on stage hamming it up.  So, I think its the 'vibe' I get that puts him over the top for me.

My favourite is Adrian. His solos are simply fantastic.Its a tough call since all are my favourites but i l go with Adrian

I cannot vote I cannot choose, I'm sorry, haha. They're all three so genius.

SinisterMinisterX said:
To my ear, Dave's style has a fluidity which Adrian and Janick lack. For those of you who know musical terminology, Dave has the smoothest legato playing of the three. His solos seems to spring effortlessly from somewhere deep inside of him, a trait that few guitarists have. He makes soloing look effortless, like the guitar is another part of his body rather than an external instrument.

Yep,  I'll say.  He's always been my favorite.  :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back