Fates Warning

How good is Fates Warning on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Fates Warning' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

A pretty average song, a spooky intro, some good ideas and harmonies, but nothing outstanding overall.

[!--QuoteBegin-Uwe+Aug 23 2004, 09:52 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Uwe @ Aug 23 2004, 09:52 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]A pretty average song, a spooky intro, some good ideas and harmonies, but nothing outstanding overall.
[snapback]84215[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I think its an outstanding song! Real quality intro then exploding into the main song. Solo is great.

The name of this song is somewhat weird, shouldn't it be Fate's Warning? Has it ever been discussed here? I know that a number of regulars are pretty strict about their spelling and grammar, this certainly shouldn't have gone unnoticed...

"Fate's" would be a contraction of "fate is". It is a common mistake, but still a mistake. Same would go for "Fates' Warning", which would only be correct if the word is "fates", not "fate".

Perun said:
"Fate's" would be a contraction of "fate is". It is a common mistake, but still a mistake. Same would go for "Fates' Warning", which would only be correct if the word is "fates", not "fate".

I'm not so sure, Perun. If I talk about Jerry's enormous nose, that's not "Jerry is". It's a possessive word.

The idea of 's meaning "is" only applies to a few contractions like it's, where's, etc. And only because of that do we make a special case for "its" being the possessive form of "it".

I have always believed that the song title is wrong, and should be Fate's Warning. I have never understood why they don't include the apostrophe there. I've also never cared enough about it to complain...

Maybe it always seemed OK to me because I'm also familiar with the band Fates Warning, who make the same mistake, and I've just gotten used to it.

SinisterMinisterX said:
I'm not so sure, Perun. If I talk about Jerry's enormous nose, that's not "Jerry is". It's a possessive word.

But are you so sure it's "Jerry's enormous nose" and not "Jerrys enormous nose"?

Perun said:
But are you so sure it's "Jerry's enormous nose" and not "Jerrys enormous nose"?

You're questioning Mr. DICKtionary on grammar? :D

I've always used "Jerry's enormous nose", for the record, and I've never been corrected by anyone for it.  But I don't remember ever noticing the possible mistake in the song title, though I've always been annoyed about The Razors Edge.

Perun said:

Yes, I am 100% correct on that one. At least for US English. Maybe the Europeans have it wrong different, like how they add unnecessary letters to words like color. :bigsmile:

Invader said:
You're questioning Mr. DICKtionary on grammar? :D

He may be Mr DICKtionary, but I'm still the EnC*NTopedia.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Yes, I am 100% correct on that one. At least for US English. Maybe the Europeans have it wrong different, like how they add unnecessary letters to words like color. :bigsmile:

I would assume it is indeed a British vs American thing. I remember my English teacher being immensely picky about it, and she insisted on us using British English.

I can't be arsed to find out right now, though. ;)

SMX is right in Canada too, which does have a more British-style grammar than our neighbours (see what I did there).

SinisterMinisterX said:

The idea of 's meaning "is" only applies to a few contractions like it's, where's, etc. And only because of that do we make a special case for "its" being the possessive form of "it".

I have always believed that the song title is wrong, and should be Fate's Warning. I have never understood why they don't include the apostrophe there. I've also never cared enough about it to complain...

Maybe it always seemed OK to me because I'm also familiar with the band Fates Warning, who make the same mistake, and I've just gotten used to it.

Mr DICKtionary is our awesomeness and yes, he's always right, except the 'or' issue  :D

While there is no (?) objective evidence about it and certainly I'm not the right person to provide English lessons,
I'm quite sure that Fates Warning stands for Fates' Warning. Yes.
Or should I say 'the warning of fate' ?

Bonus quote : Have I got a big nose, Mum?

Forostar said:
So the either the band Fates Warning either Iron Maiden did something wrong. Not both. ;)

Ha! That was fucking awesome, Foro! Be praised man  :ok:

SinisterMinisterX said:

It's the same in English English.

Invader said:
though I've always been annoyed about The Razors Edge.

I always been annoyed by the song 'Who do you love?', but more annoyed at myself for being annoyed. Make sense?

Okay, the time has come for me to admit I was wrong. Still surprised, though.

national acrobat said:
I always been annoyed by the song 'Who do you love?', but more annoyed at myself for being annoyed. Make sense?

Not really. ;)

Will-I-Am said:
While there is no (?) objective evidence about it and certainly I'm not the right person to provide English lessons, I'm quite sure that Fates Warning stands for Fates' Warning. Yes.
Or should I say 'the warning of fate' ?

Okay, it would make sense to view the meaning of the title as "warning of fate", I agree. But in that case, you'd still need to write fate's, not fates'.

Fates' would mean "the warning of two or more fates", because the apostrophe goes at the end of possesive plurals (so you wouldn't have to write or to pronounce fates's). And I doubt that there is more than one fate. :D

Back