European Politics

I have a sort of a theory in which western actors are hypersensitive to Albania/Kosovo because of what happened with Muslims in Bosnia in the 1990s under their watch. Not a political obligation from officials but a moral one from the people itself, like we're not allowing anything like that to happen again. So they're blind to the pranks done by the "victim". But the victim wasn't Muslims from there, they were from Bosnia and these Kosovars don't have anything to do with it, they're just exploiting the good natured feelings.
Think you could well be right there. Mention either Bosnia or Kosovo over here and the average public perception is 'brave little victim', no matter what's actually being discussed.

Belarus.

Apparently Lukashenko has below 20% support, while opposition candidate enjoys the rest. They just switched around the names. One of the polling stations in Munich show that it's actually 10% to 90%, and the document has been released by Belarussian embassy there.

The special police is shooting at people.

Yeah, they shut off the internet in Belarus to try to slow the protests and stop news from getting out. I expect it's a matter of days before Putin rolls in to "restore order".

m5hgrc5d3dh51.jpg

Belarus is a small country. This many people outside, in an environment hostile or deadly to protesters, means a lot.

Getting angry faces for a status supporting Belarus protests?
This forum never stops surprising me.

Monolinguists angry with cunning linguists?

Joking aside, the situation in Belarus seems to be dreadful, with someone without a democratic mandate - to say the least - clinging on to power and committing horrific abuses. It makes my blood boil.

Lukashenko supporters counterprotest, claimed 70k people

m3w76evtzgh51.jpg

Probably 25 tops, judging by the picture, probably brought in "the willing" from every corner of Belarus and Russia.

There are rumours he's willing to step down but asking an 18 month transition period. In his period he probably wants to clean up the archives and paper trails.

People are starting to get pissed off over here as it emerged that several politicians, including the Minister for Agriculture (who has since resigned), were at an event by the parliamentary golf society involving 80 people playing golf and having a piss up, just hours after lockdown rules were extended.

Also attending was the European Commissioner for Trade, who had been staying in Kildare, a county that's under complete lockdown after a covid outbreak in meat processing plant, people are not supposed to come or go to Kildare. The event was 230km outside of Kildare.

New government is a complete disaster.

3 serious scandals and it's only been a few months, it would have probably collapsed the government by now if it wasn't such a serious time. The Green Party will end up taking the blame as well, and to be fair, it hasn't been there politicians fucking up.

There's a very small tinfoil hat/far right odd ball group organising a protest about it tomorrow, and the danger is that they start capitalising on legitimate anger from ordinary people.

Back