European Politics

I literally just came in to post this.

I don't think Charlie Hebdo is funny, I don't think it is a good magazine, but they have the right to be stupid, offensive fuckwads if they want to. We only hope murder won't intimidate other journalists, because if murder works....then there will be more murders.

Of course, right now, it's impossible to know for sure if this is an attack by Islamists, but I'd put my money on it. French citizens, domestic Muslims who probably want to go fight for IS but can't get there.

It's getting worse and worse. This is fuel in the fire of those Islamophobe right-wingers. I can't see this ending well.

_80114389_025307839-1.jpg

They did print a cartoon, I guess they had it coming (heavy sarcasm alert).
Sad but true. Obviously I don't think they should've been killed or anything like that, but really, I think everyone should know that joking about Islam is a bad, bad idea.

The worse they want to kill you for it, the more you should do it. Of course, people who joke about Islam should be aware that it is a hazardous activity, but absolutely should it not be a bad idea.

Republish the drawings on the front page of all the worlds major newspapers tomorrow.

All major newspapers should start up a weekly "LOL Muhammed" column.
Woah slow down there Satan.

My point is, if you don't want to live your life (in peace), mock Islam. I'd be all up for mocking it if they didn't kill people for it, but they do, so I'll pass.

It's not that easy, NP. This is an attack on democracy, and we simply can't let that happen. Once we're afraid to publish such drawings, they won.

Sorry guys, I think that cartoon was a lot less to do with freedom of speech than it was with trying to be fashionably provocative and sell magazines on the back of it. I don't question anyone's right to do it, but I do question their motive.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/07/europe/charlie-hebdo-controversy/index.html

Charlie Hebdo journalist Laurent Leger defended the magazine at the time, saying the cartoons were not intended to provoke anger or violence.

"The aim is to laugh," Leger told BFM-TV in 2012. "We want to laugh at the extremists -- every extremist. They can be Muslim, Jewish, Catholic. Everyone can be religious, but extremist thoughts and acts we cannot accept."

"In France, we always have the right to write and draw. And if some people are not happy with this, they can sue us and we can defend ourselves. That's democracy," Leger said. "You don't throw bombs, you discuss, you debate. But you don't act violently. We have to stand and resist pressure from extremism."

It's not that easy, NP. This is an attack on democracy, and we simply can't let that happen. Once we're afraid to publish such drawings, they won.

This is what makes terrorism so nasty. You can't ignore it; you can't let attacks like this go unchallenged. But every response you make also legitimizes it. The terrorists get what they want when we act based on terror. It's why the US lost our "war against terror". They got us to sacrifice some freedom in reaction. I sincerely hope the French do better than we did.

Sorry guys, I think that cartoon was a lot less to do with freedom of speech than it was with trying to be fashionably provocative and sell magazines on the back of it. I don't question anyone's right to do it, but I do question their motive.
The cartoon has less to do with freedom of speech and more to do with selling magazines on controversy. The response from the attackers has everything to do with freedom of speech.

Back