European Politics

By far the most young Turkish Dutchmen (<-- is that the correct way to say this?; perhaps Dutch youth of Turkish origin is better) see Syria-go-ers (people who go to Syria to fight) as heroes, conclude researchers from Motivaction. 90 percent of Turkish Dutchmen between 18 and 35 years finds Syria-go-ers heroes and 72 percent is behind the advance of IS. 80 percent does not find violence from jihad warrior groups against non- or different-believers wrong.

Minister Asscher (Deputy Prime Minister of the Netherlands and Minister of Social Affairs and Employment) labels these figures as worrisome. Also he stated (among other stuff, but I am not going to translate everything):

"I want to know the truth behind this and therefore will do more quality research. It is dissatisfying that we can't know on the basis of this enquête what's behind this. There are curious results in the research. Next to support for IS there is no support for the califate. So there is support for democracy.

What is clear from the research is that Turkish youth is, other than Moroccan youth, more steered by Turkish media and Turkish politics. You can't forbid them to watch Turkish television but it should be a healthy mix of information that they get. If you look at Dutch media, you can still differ opinion with each other, but you are in the same conversation. If you get into a parallel society it's going to be difficult to make youth defensible. Element of free society is that you don't have to resist media, but you may ask critical questions. Especially when you grow up here and build up your future here."

From young Moroccans "only" 18 percent finds Syria-go-ers heroes. Most others disapprove of violence against non- or different-believers.

The source (a report called "Dutch muslim youth and the Arabic Autumn", with much more results) is in Dutch only unfortunately.

Last edited:
Would you use hyphenated? Turkish-Dutch does seem a little odd. Maybe we just don't see it as much in English.

Interesting to see the difference between the two origin groups.

Just expanded the post. I wanted to translate more that has to do with influence of media and politics.
Would you use hyphenated? Turkish-Dutch does seem a little odd. Maybe we just don't see it as much in English.

Interesting to see the difference between the two origin groups.
Well these are mostly people who's parents (or grandparents) came to the Netherlands as migrant workers and who eventually stayed to live here. The Turks started coming since 1964 and the Moroccans since 1969, via deals with these nations. Basically most of these younger people are born here, and I think most of them have Dutch nationality. But lots of them also have the nationality of the other nation. Moroccans can't even loose their Moroccan nationality (by Moroccan law), even if they would want to get rid of it themselves. So they are of Turkish or Moroccan origin. The news article that I had translated spoke of "Turkse Nederlanders".

Last edited:
Hmm, apparantly P advisor Markov uttered war language on Swedish television.

Haven't found anything in English language about it but he had warned that Baltic states would be wiped out if a war between Europe and R would ensue.
He said: "Sweden has nothing to fear, but Latvia and Estland have. In a great war, these countries will be wiped out".

The Latvian ambassodor says he is used to such threats but finds them heavier because of recent R planes violating EU airspace.

According to the R, the political elite in the EU suffers from Rphobia which equals racism against R.

Last edited:
If there was a great war between NATO and Russia, I can certainly see the Baltic States being a battleground. No matter who wins, they'd lose.

30 years ago, we would have said the same about Germany. Can you see why I'm not happy about that idea?

o_O

To put it short, a bunch of documents were leaked by journalists that testify to tax agreements between PriceWaterhouseCooper on behalf of companies such as Amazon or E.on and the government of Luxembourg. The countries where these companies operate, such as Germany, France, UK and even the US are cheated out of millions and millions in tax money, while Luxembourg gets nominal tax payments that are often much less than one per cent of the profits. The agreement was orchestrated under the government of prime minister Jean-Claude Juncker, who is now the president of the EU Commission - the very same EU Commission that is investigating this case.

So basically, Luxembourg is becoming a tax haven?

Essentially, yeah.

What's bad about this is that this is all perfectly legal, by all laws and letters. No investigator would be able to find anything they can drag Luxembourg to court with even if they were all Greek journalists. But it's a colossal breach against the spirit of the EU and mutual trust among its members, and I think we can't begin to visualise the harm it does to it.

By far the most young Turkish Dutchmen (<-- is that the correct way to say this?; perhaps Dutch youth of Turkish origin is better) see Syria-go-ers (people who go to Syria to fight) as heroes, conclude researchers from Motivaction. 90 percent of Turkish Dutchmen between 18 and 35 years finds Syria-go-ers heroes and 72 percent is behind the advance of IS. 80 percent does not find violence from jihad warrior groups against non- or different-believers wrong.

Minister Asscher (Deputy Prime Minister of the Netherlands and Minister of Social Affairs and Employment) labels these figures as worrisome. Also he stated (among other stuff, but I am not going to translate everything):

"I want to know the truth behind this and therefore will do more quality research. It is dissatisfying that we can't know on the basis of this enquête what's behind this. There are curious results in the research. Next to support for IS there is no support for the califate. So there is support for democracy.

What is clear from the research is that Turkish youth is, other than Moroccan youth, more steered by Turkish media and Turkish politics. You can't forbid them to watch Turkish television but it should be a healthy mix of information that they get. If you look at Dutch media, you can still differ opinion with each other, but you are in the same conversation. If you get into a parallel society it's going to be difficult to make youth defensible. Element of free society is that you don't have to resist media, but you may ask critical questions. Especially when you grow up here and build up your future here."

From young Moroccans "only" 18 percent finds Syria-go-ers heroes. Most others disapprove of violence against non- or different-believers.

The source (a report called "Dutch muslim youth and the Arabic Autumn", with much more results) is in Dutch only unfortunately.

I feel like Turkish immigrants in Europe do nothing but harm the way Europeans see their nation's profile. While staying away from generalizing people, I will point out that most people who immigrated to Europe from Turkey lived in Mid-Anatolian and East-Anatolian regions and were mostly poor, non-educated people looking for ways to make money. As much as it pains me to say it, aside from Marmara Region, Aegean Region and Mediterranean Region, Turkish regions have a bigoted majority. Most of them are devout, fundamentalist religious people who feed off dogma and a lot of them are ultra-nationalists. The ones who don't fit this profile are not negligible but are a minority nevertheless.

Most foreign people seem to portray Turkish people as violent, harsh and deeply nationalistic. It's true on most accounts but since the immigration from more well-educated and "free spirited" regions is significantly low, I feel like it's a major problem for Turkish people who are looking to move to Europe for business opportunities.

I, for one, as a potential immigrant some day, am afraid of discrimination. But hey, I technically don't live in Europe and maybe it isn't as big of a problem as I feel it is.

-----

I was going to talk about this but I'll let John Oliver do it.

Last edited:
Back