European Politics

I wrote it to anyone who read it, but I specifically wanted to find out if people find it justified what the Ukrainian government is doing now.

It is not important to me to make that judgement. All I see is a country being plunged into war, civil or not, and that makes me sad. Whether I have an opinion on what's justified and what not won't stop one bullet from flying, so why should I bother?

I understand that you don't see the point in giving a right-or-wrong opinion on what's happening in that region at the moment. And I surely understand the sadness, and the impotence (our words uttered here won't change the conflict).

But sharing thoughts could make others understand the conflict better. I could read books when all this is over (if it ever ends), but I have an urge to understand this conflict as much as possible, right now, as it happens. Discussing it here, with different point of views can help. Impatient fool I am, but I live now. ;)

edit:
Meanwhile, Rasmussen just gave another statement following the North Atlantic Council meeting:

Good afternoon.

We have just taken further measures to respond to the crisis in Ukraine.

We agree that a political solution is the only way forward.

NATO fully supports the Geneva talks and all the efforts of the international community to find a political solution, which fulfils the democratic aspirations of the entire Ukrainian people and respects the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine.

We call on R to be part of the solution. To stop destabilising Ukraine, pull back its troops from the borders and make clear it doesn't support the violent actions of well armed militias of pro-R separatists.

NATO's core task is to protect and defend our Allies. We have already taken a series of steps, including enhancing our Air Policing mission in the Baltic States, and AWACS surveillance flights over Poland and Romania.

Today, we agreed on a package of further military measures to reinforce our collective defence and demonstrate the strength of Allied solidarity.

We will have more planes in the air, more ships on the water, and more readiness on the land.

For example, air policing aircraft will fly more sorties over the Baltic region. Allied ships will deploy to the Baltic Sea, the Eastern Mediterranean and elsewhere, as required. Military staff from Allied nations will deploy to enhance our preparedness, training and exercises. Our defence plans will be reviewed and reinforced.

We will start to implement these measures straight away. More will follow, if needed, in the weeks and months to come.

Our decisions today are about defence, deterrence and de-escalation. They are entirely in line with our international commitments.

They send a clear message: NATO will protect every Ally and defend against any threat against our fundamental security.

That is our firm commitment.

Video of this statement + questions:

Last edited:
Glad Putin is stepping up to stop these Nazis in Ukraine (sarcasm alert)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es&AID=10709313&PID=4145479&SID=1cf7tb82s3f4c
=============================
Jews ordered to register in east Ukraine

Jews in the eastern Ukrainian city of Donetsk where pro-Russian militants have taken over government buildings were told they have to "register" with the Ukrainians who are trying to make the city become part of Russia, according to Israeli media.

Jews emerging from a synagogue say they were handed leaflets that ordered the city's Jews to provide a list of property they own and pay a registration fee "or else have their citizenship revoked, face deportation and see their assets confiscated," reported Ynet News, Israel's largest news website.

Donetsk is the site of an "anti-terrorist" operation by the Ukraine government, which has moved military columns into the region to force out militants who are demanding a referendum be held on joining Russia.

The leaflets bore the name of Denis Pushilin, who identified himself as chairman of "Donetsk's temporary government," and were distributed near the Donetsk synagogue and other areas, according to the report.

Pushilin acknowledged the flyers were distributed by his organization but he disavowed their content, according to the web site Jews of Kiev, Ynet reported.

Emanuel Shechter, in Israel, told Ynet his friends in Donetsk sent him a copy of the leaflet through social media.

"They told me that masked men were waiting for Jewish people after the Passover eve prayer, handed them the flyer and told them to obey its instructions," he said.

The leaflet begins, "Dear Ukraine citizens of Jewish nationality," and states that all people of Jewish descent over 16 years old must report to the Commissioner for Nationalities in the Donetsk Regional Administration building and "register."

It says the reason is because the leaders of the Jewish community of Ukraine supported Bendery Junta, a reference to Stepan Bandera, the leader of the Ukrainian nationalist movement that fought for Ukrainian independence at the end of World War II, "and oppose the pro-Slavic People's Republic of Donetsk," a name adopted by the militant leadership.

The leaflet then described which documents Jews should provide: "ID and passport are required to register your Jewish religion, religious documents of family members, as well as documents establishing the rights to all real estate property that belongs to you, including vehicles."

Consequences for non-compliance will result in citizenship bein g revoked "and you will be forced outside the country with a confiscation of property." A registration fee of $50 would be required, it said.

Olga Resnikova, 32, a Jewish resident of Donetsk, told Ynet she never experienced anti-Semitism in the city until she saw this leaflet.

"We don't know if these notifications were distributed by pro-Russian activists or someone else, but it's serious that it exists," she said. "The text reminds of the fascists in 1941," she said referring to the Nazis who occupied Ukraine during World War II.

Yep. Everyone keeps telling me it's government backed or backed by Russia, but it could very well be an isolated band of extremist nutters. Like the people who keep leaving leaflets on trains in West Yorkshire telling people to throw Muslims out of the country before we're all subject to Sharia law.

The article itself doesn't go that deep about how these rights are exactly violated. I guess it would be better for Norway to read some sort of a report than being distracted by countries that are under fire themselves.

Hmm, that said, any country could be (or will be) under fire at some point. But yes these two Per mentioned are certainly "fine" examples. Here some criticism by other countries:

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/saudi...iticises-norway-human-rights-record-1.1326229

... The Netherlands and Italy also criticised Norway for the long periods crime suspects spend in police custody and pre-trial detention, with more than 40 per cent of those arrested spending longer than the 48 hour maximum recommended by the United Nations, The Local reported.

The Netherlands also wanted the Norwegian government to “explain how it assesses the widespread use of solitary confinement in detention and how it may work towards a more selective application of this measure.”

Another advance question by the Netherlands was whether the government was “prepared to reassess the Norwegian penal code and amend the legal definition of rape so as to bring it more in line with international human right standards.”

The United Kingdom asked to know what Norway was doing “to help prevent discrimination and hate crime against migrant Roma.”

It also sought an answer to what Norway was doing “to intensify efforts already undertaken to ensure that emergency shelters and social housing units meet an adequate standard, especially for families with children.”

Mexico wanted to know “the measures adopted to strengthen and support the efforts to ensure the right and access to education for migrant and asylum-seeking children.”

Mexico also looked for a response on “how the [Norwegian] government ensures in its arms trade regulations that these do not reach actors suspected of committing human rights violations or abuses.”

Back