European Politics

It's about time people are concerned about them.

Of course, but you can't deny it's selective morality. If Russia wouldn't have occupied Crimea, all those people raising their fingers now still wouldn't know or care. My point is, I can't take that outcry seriously.

Well Crimean Tatars have been promised a lot of some seats. I don't really know how Ukraine/Crimea legislature works, but they will significantly increase their presence in top representations like gov't and parliament.
A week ago their leader traveled to Tatarstan to talk to Republic of Tatarstan president, few days ago media reported they agreed with new Crimea authorities regarding situation of Crieman Tatars in a new state (which legally applies if and once Crimea becomes a Russian Federal subject). Russian Tatarstan is richest Russian Federal subject.

AFAIK, Crimean Tatars participated in this referendum.

I've always said, Kosovo was Pandora's Box. "West" ignored a bigger part of international law by recognizing independence, and spit on it when ICJ ruled that Kosovo effort was legit.
Kosovo case has no connections with Croatian or Bosnian cases. It's a different beast, I can elaborate that in great detail, on request.
Anyways, it's also good to note that Crimean population in whole wasn't very happy when Khruschev handed them over to Ukraine in 1954.

By the way, any comments on this?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...s-for-referendum-on-secession-from-Italy.html

Brought on funny connotations in our local press, since my city was under Most Serene Republic for about half a millennium.

If you're doubting that Venetia could be independent, it's not only City of Venice, it's Veneto.
Veneto has GDP PPP of Czech Republic. And every relevant industry (energy, banking, construction) and public services of their own.

Personally, I'd rather not like to bring up the case of other region's independence when talking about Crimea, because it becomes a straw man argument too easily.

Of course, but you can't deny it's selective morality. If Russia wouldn't have occupied Crimea, all those people raising their fingers now still wouldn't know or care. My point is, I can't take that outcry seriously.

I am not sure I buy that. There are tons of people that never heard of them ... not that they did not care before and now do ... at least in the US

That's true. I'm sure not many people had even heard of Crimean Tatars, I'm just very sensitive about the matter as it's quite personal.

What does it matter if people would not care, compared to what is going on now. Something has happened recently. It did not only draw attention, it also brought fear upon a minority. A fear which is -just like their history- not that difficult to recognize.
- Why is it so impossible that, despite the military occupation of Crimea by the Russians, the referendum on Crimean separation may actually reflect the will of the people?
The referendum was illegal. According to Ukrainian law, and according to international law. It was held under threat of an invasion.
By the way: Not even 60 percent of the Crimean population is R. 80% of Crimea voted? 97% of these voted to join? That's a combination that's hard to believe.
- How is everybody so sure the Crimeans who favour separation from Ukraine are indoctrinated?
Some people trust certain journalists out there. Journalists which have followed what's going on there. At this point, it's still possible to have journalists out there. The ones who report to foreign media are the ones that are not censored.
- Why would Crimea be better off as part of Ukraine than as part of Russia?
A quick glance at R occupation with military on the streets, R policy under Putin, doesn't sound like a safe, or nice prospect.
Why does everybody buy into the anti-Russian agitation by western media and government so uncritically?
Why uncritically?

Last edited:
The referendum was illegal. According to Ukrainian law, and according to international law. It was held under threat of an invasion.
By the way: Not even 60 percent of the Crimean population is Russian. 80% of Crimea voted? 97% of these voted to join? That's a combination that's hard to believe.

An article I read the other day (Crimea: Competing Self-Determination Movements by Tetyana Malyarenko and David J. Galbreath) published in July 2013, i.e. before Euromaidan, stated that a majority of both Russian and Ukrainian Crimeans favoured separation from Ukraine.

Some people trust certain journalists out there. Journalists which have followed what's going on there. At this point, it's still possible to have journalists out there. The ones who report to foreign media are the ones that are not censored.

Can you name them and give credentials? Can you tell me what makes them neutral and objective? What makes you so sure those reporting to foreign media are not censored, and more than that, don't report a particular picture that sells papers in the west?

A quick glance at Russian occupation with military on the streets, Russian policy under Putin, doesn't sound like a safe, or nice prospect.

And street battles, fascist protesters and rampant corruption in Ukraine is a safe, nice prospect?

Why uncritically?

Because I haven't seen a hint of criticism on the version spread by western media by some people, not a single question if what we are being fed by the evening news is correct, not a shred of interest in an opposing point of view.

I can't prove that a journalist can be trusted for 100%. But I am also not alarmed that a certain person should not be trusted. E.g., I have seen a journalist that is out there and who is doing his reports live for radio and television. I have not yet heard or seen anything which could indicate that what he is selling is nonsense. I have not yet read a report that Dutch media in general should be mistrusted (have a bad name).

In other words, I need to trust my own judgement. As soon as I have a reason to mistrust something or someone, or if anyone will say that I am wrong, I am the first to admit it.

Would you mention some indications why some foreign journalists would not be neutral? I am listening, critically. ;-)

edit:
Thanks for mentioning that article. I am curious to read it.

Would you mention some indications why some foreign journalists would not be neutral? I am listening, critically. ;-)

Yes. They need to sell papers, need to make easy headlines, and need to transmit a picture that is easy to present in a five-minute news segment or a three-page article. They shouldn't scare away sponsors or readers. They need to serve a market. Ergo they do what the market demands.

Thanks for mentioning that article. I am curious to read it.

Unfortunately, I haven't found it to be freely available to non-academic servers. You can read the abstract here, though: http://opus.bath.ac.uk/36013/

Yes. They need to sell papers, need to make easy headlines, and need to transmit a picture that is easy to present in a five-minute news segment or a three-page article. They shouldn't scare away sponsors or readers. They need to serve a market. Ergo they do what the market demands.
You're sketching an image that I have of Russian "freedom" of press (controlled media), especially the last three sentences. ;)

Who rules the market? Business? Business and economy could say: let these Russians do what they want. We just made some great deals with them.
They are important for our trade.

Journalists could still be critical.

In this situation I'm quite happy with Norwegian news media. The main papers seem interested in showing the nuances, not only showing Russia as the big bad wolf. I'm not so impressed with our Foreign Minister, who just seems to talk in headlines when talking about the referendum in Crimea (basically he says it is illegitimate and against international law. We already know that Western governments are of that opinion, Mr. Minister)

What is clear, though, is that Russia have soldiers in Crimea and not only in their bases. The circumstances of the referendum are not suited to give it legitimacy. That does not mean the result doesn't reflect the will of the majority, but the numbers are too overwhelming to be believed.

As for the sanctions the US and the EU are now imposing on some high-profile Putin supporters: Are they justified? The US and EU don't care. They want a certain response from Putin and impose sanctions because they think it's a way of forcing that response. This is basically chess. A chess game that can turn really unpleasant when Russian gas supplies come into play.

An article I read the other day (Crimea: Competing Self-Determination Movements by Tetyana Malyarenko and David J. Galbreath) published in July 2013, i.e. before Euromaidan, stated that a majority of both Russian and Ukrainian Crimeans favoured separation from Ukraine.

Unless I have misunderstood somewhere (please correct if so), there are two differences between favouring separation from Ukraine then and now. The first is that the Ukranian government itself has changed since then, and the second is that it is now not just about separation, but about joining Russia instead. Many may wish to leave the Ukraine and become a country themselves, but not have any desire to join Russia, and with that as the alternative may even see Ukraine as the lesser of two evils so to speak.

To me, it comes down to the thought that this particular election is being held under rapidity and at the best, abnormal circumstances. There should have been more negotiation with the Ukraine to ensure a fair election. But it's one of those situations where it probably hasn't changed the outcome. Today this is a coup. In 50 years, historians may see it as a liberation.

I tend to think 50 years from now it will still be seen as a land grab ... hopefully not stage 1 of Cold War (or worse) part 2

Back