European Politics

Serbian Progressive Party won the elections in Serbia today, will be able to form government by themselves.

And then you ask me why I hate prog :P

Pro-EU and peaceful relations with Kosovo, but won't recognize their independence. Which doesn't say much, since 3 other parties that will enter the parliament share the same view on that.

They can form government by themselves now, and they can also change the constitution. They could easily change opinion on both EU and Kosovo.
Their two leaders
Tomislav Nikolic, current president of Serbia, who quit the party when he became the president, but probably still has power behind the scenes, and
Aleksandar Vucic, certainly the new prime minister,
formed the party in 2008 after leaving Serbian Radical Party who was anti-EU and basically fight-wars-for-Kosovo.

So they're about as progressive as the Democratic Republic of Korea is a democratic republic.

Well, "progressive" doesn't need to say much about their actual policies ;) The Progress Party in Norway are a socially conservative (strict on crime, favour strict immigration policy, advocates Christian values), economically liberal party. Which, to confuse matters, also have in their midst more mainstrim liberalists (who are liberal both on social and economical matters), advocates of a robust public welfare system, and some who border on nationalism. A nice mix of everything, always with an emphasis on whatever they think can win them votes :D

I.e. a democratic republic, or a country that has a people. Same non-point. :P

Meanwhile, in Kharkov:

30.jpg

And the West suffers from a severe case of hubris by saying they won't recognise the result of the Crimea vote.

Why not? It's the will of the Crimean people. I guess all the world's media simply ignore the fact that a majority of Crimeans, both Russian and Ukrainian, favoured independence even before Euromaidan.

I have a few questions relating to this issue:

- How is it the concern of western governments that a province of Ukraine's periphery decides to switch its allegiance, if Ukraine by treaty committed itself to remain non-aligned (read it up, General Agreement, 1997), and if the province had always had a popular separatist movement?
- How come suddenly everyone is concerned about the wellbeing of a population group (Crimean Tatars) nobody previously ever gave a shit about?
- Why is it so impossible that, despite the military occupation of Crimea by the Russians, the referendum on Crimean separation may actually reflect the will of the people?
- How is everybody so sure the Crimeans who favour separation from Ukraine are indoctrinated?
- Why would Crimea be better off as part of Ukraine than as part of Russia?
- Why does everybody buy into the anti-Russian agitation by western media and government so uncritically?
- Why do we need to have good and bad guys in this story?

Crimea should be an independent state, not a part of Russia or Ukraine.

- How come suddenly everyone is concerned about the wellbeing of a population group (Crimean Tatars) nobody previously ever gave a shit about?

It's about time people are concerned about them.

Back