European Politics

Ok, i agree this is complex, but how come people from one region (or multiple, who knows) accepts being part in one country, only if that country doesn't change status?

Accepting that in 1991 was giving the right to Ukraine to decide their future.

Aren't all slavic countries turning to west? (maybe eastern countries and populations are not).

Unless Ukraine as we speak, is a contemporary country, made-up melting pot with no real meaning.

It seems no country except the US can really be a melting pot, it seems a fair amount of Europeans seem pissed when forced to live with people from other backgrounds?

I guess Ukraine could sell Crimea to Russia like Russia did with Alaska to the United States. Ultimately this will lead to the persecution of Ukrainians and Tatars in Crimea.

Absolutely. Crimean Tatars have suffered enough in the past, they first had to flee because of the October Revolution and they were forcibly removed by Stalin in 40s. Being ethnically a Crimean Tatar myself, I don't want any of that happening again. I might have been born and raised and have lived in Turkey my whole life, but I feel for the grandchildren of my ancestors.

Ok, i agree this is complex, but how come people from one region (or multiple, who knows) accepts being part in one country, only if that country doesn't change status?

Accepting that in 1991 was giving the right to Ukraine to decide their future.

Aren't all slavic countries turning to west? (maybe eastern countries and populations are not).

Unless Ukraine as we speak, is a contemporary country, made-up melting pot with no real meaning.

You know, one thing that we have to accept is that things that were true, real and good in 1991 may no longer be so today. It's been 23 years after all.

On my weekly dose of bashing our government, I'll share two things. First was uttered by our prime minister this night on a tv channel.

"We can't lose our people to YouTube, Facebook etc. We'll take our precautions, including banning them completely."

And the second was uttered by the same person earlier in the week, in regards to the students of METU (Middle East Technical University) which is known for their protests of the government.

"We've been doing our services in spite of those leftists and those atheists. They're atheists. They're terrorists."

But within 24 hours, the opposition had torn up the agreement. It forced Yanukovych from power and sacked the government.
I don't agree with this part. Yanukovych was supposed to order the police/military to stop firing on the protesters, particularly unarmed protesters, but more were killed after that deal was signed. Yanukovych then ran away from Kiev leaving a vacuum of power. What was the parliament supposed to do?

Russian troops on Friday attacked a Ukranian military base 5 kilometers from the Ukranian city Sevastopol, located on the Black Sea coast of the Crimean peninsula.

According to early reports, members of a pro-Russia militia used a truck to break though the gate of the base. The truck got stuck at the gate, and Russia soldiers climbed over it. Some 70 Ukrainian troops were said to still be holding out in the bunkers. There were no reports of shots being fired.

Russia now has 30,000 troops in Ukraine's Crimea region, according to Ukrainian border guards, nearly twice the previous figure given by the government in Kiev.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/world/.premium-1.578553

An interesting alternate opinion piece:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2014/03/why-do-they-hate-russia-201435102838387692.html

You don't have to agree with everything he says (I don't), but it certainly is food for thought:

Furthermore, if the West preaches equality but treats other countries as second best, why can't Russia do that too? Why can't it treat Ukraine in the same way it has been treated by the West? And if Russia is the subject of double standards, was the West lying to the Russians all along, convincing them that there's nothing to fear and can peacefully disarm and withdraw, while at the same time secretly expanding NATO towards its borders? To push the analogy with Moliere's play even further, Tartuffe is not just a sanctimonious hypocrite; he eventually tries to repossess the house of Orgon, whose gullibility he uses precisely for that purpose.

I feel that is a very, very dangerous thought.

They are condemning the West while saying the East should do the same.

:confused:

Poor Tatars. Houses of Tatars are marked with a big 'X'. I saw an interview with a Tatar family and they are scared as hell. At this point about 100 families have already fled to Lviv (western Ukraine).

I wonder what more will happen to them:
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2014/03/who-will-protect-the-crimean-tatars.html

Fucking hell. Crimean Tatars have suffered enough, just let them live in peace for fuck's sake. Crimean Tatars have been fleeing for centuries because they're treated awfully by Russians, it's like it's inevitable. In 1920s my Crimean Tatar great grandfather had to flee Crimea and come to Samsun in Turkey which is right across the Black Sea because their land was forcibly taken away and they were threatened. We've been living in Samsun for decades now. What's going on is just disturbing.

Last edited:
Three German newspapers (Frankfurter Allgemeine, Spiegel and Süddeutsche) report that Crimea declared its independence. Guardian and BBC World know nothing of the likes. Al Jazeera reports that the Crimean government said it will declare its independence if the referendum on Sunday is successful.

The protests in Turkey are reigniting, following the death of a 15 year old boy who was hit on the by a tear-gas canister back in June 13 in the main protests. He had stayed in coma for 269 days. Combined with the corruption scandal involving the government, protests are being held in all major cities and they again, involve police brutality. We have a local election on the 30th of this month which will be the first time I vote.

Here's what our prime minister said when asked about the 15 year old's death:

"It did have a negative effect on stock market in the morning but nothing to worry about".

Last edited:
Back