European Politics

I heard that numerous EU laws/reforms have been stopped or slowed down by UK, so their bailout might result in those being applied (or fully applied). Can Britons point out what's that all about?
No idea. Legislation is always a slow process and interpretation of it is open to challenge or Common Law adaptation in the courts. Any specific examples you've read about? I can imagine the enaction of some laws being put in a queue behind whatever is the hot topic in Parliament at any given time.

Unfortunately, no. I read that on reddit, but comments below didn't reveal anything specific. That's why I asked.
Re. Netherlands. Computer science at Vrije Universitet is 2000 eur per year, and that's actually peanuts since that's one of a dozen EU colleges that will give you same opportunities, knowlege wise, as Berkeley, MIT or Carnegie-Mellon.

Last edited by a moderator:
The UK has a few official opt-outs on various areas of EU legislation, they could mean that. We used to have an opt-out on the social chapter of the Maastricht Treaty, too, but opted into it in the late 90s.

I was trying to find something that I thought UK might have screwed up for the rest of us, because UK, like the USA, has idiotic policies on telecommunications. True or not, well look at this

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/money-charges/mobile-roaming-costs/index_en.htm

Seems like no more roaming in EU. I heard about this few years ago and since its something that affected me I took great interest. Sometime last year there were news on the Internet that January 1st 2017 won't be the end date of roaming, but there will be an undisclosed grace period for carriers to adapt. I thought this was just big $ talking until they have chance to revisit the law. Nope, looks like it's done for.

1. Mass surveillance with unlimited data retention -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempora
2. No public utility status, ISPs parse and act over OSI Application layer, which should be equal to post office actually opening and inspecting content of each and every package -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_blocking_in_the_United_Kingdom
3. I won't even go into this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_disclosure_law - a foreigner was jailed for months for refusing to provide keys of his company laptop, to random security check personnel at the airport

Some of you might remember that I was between jobs 4-5 years ago. I was also interviewed by an UK based startup that was starting up based on contracts for major cell providers, and the job was development of a system that will inject advertisements directly into Web traffic that clients are using, e.g. putting ads over any site of their choice that you're looking at. This requires modifying the session between the user and the application and it's completely equal to opening the postal package and stamping Barclays ad on top of your grandma's letter. Sufficient to say, this is not legal in the rest of the EU, while it's legal in USA, Russia, China, and such countries who are known to protect individual freedoms over collective madness.

Following the link

However, in United States v. Doe, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit ruled on 24 February 2012 that forcing the decryption of one's laptop violates the Fifth Amendment.[33][34]

I assume this will make it to the Supreme Court at some point .. IMO the 5th amendment already covers this .. but the courts will need to settle it out. A law one way or another would not really matter .. beyond maybe accelerating a case though the courts.

Following the link

However, in United States v. Doe, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit ruled on 24 February 2012 that forcing the decryption of one's laptop violates the Fifth Amendment.[33][34]

I assume this will make it to the Supreme Court at some point .. IMO the 5th amendment already covers this .. but the courts will need to settle it out. A law one way or another would not really matter .. beyond maybe accelerating a case though the courts.

We'll see. But consider the 5th only applies to you, the citizen. I'm to make sure that, quoting, 'All my devices are fully charged and ready for inspection'.

That too will work its way through the courts .. in theory that should apply to anyone in the US .. though airports before clearing customs are another matter.

The tendency is there, that's the problem. The state feels like it has authority over all your data. It can be regulated in a way to circumvent constitutional protection, like Patriot act.
But I'm saying, the problem is that the state wants your data, puts you in the position where you need to explicitly deny access, and that puts you in the spotlight. They shouldn't have right to ask in the first place.

The tendency is there, that's the problem. The state feels like it has authority over all your data. It can be regulated in a way to circumvent constitutional protection, like Patriot act.
But I'm saying, the problem is that the state wants your data, puts you in the position where you need to explicitly deny access, and that puts you in the spotlight. They shouldn't have right to ask in the first place.

No argument from me ... unless there is a warrant against a specific individual/business .. not a broad class of people

We have presidential elections next month and this guy's candidacy just got approved:

ljubisa-preletacevic-beli.jpg

58c13a9d-2e08-47cd-9272-43d40a0a0a66-ljubisa-preletacevic-beli-2-preview.jpg

58c13ab6-38f8-453a-8bf1-426a0a0a0a66-ljubisa-preletacevic-izbori-previewOrg.jpg

C6l0k0WWsAAx1Qn.jpg
Here's his promo video, cover of a David Hasselhoff song :D

(Turn on CC for subtitles in English :D)

Back