European Politics

Invader said:
Does The Netherlands have an electoral system that is especially prone to such deadlocks

I'd rather say "Dutch cabinet formation", yes. See more info at end of post.

Invader said:
, or is this a very exceptional case?

Not sure if I know what you mean but this case is Belgian, which is an extreme case. :)

Invader said:
Does it usually take longer than e.g. the European average to form a government there?

I guess so. Maybe because because there are many talks between the parties and in Holland there is not only a formation but also an information phase. The Queen (and in Belgium the King) also has a role.

I think you might find this interesting to read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_cabinet_formation

Sorry, my bad.  By the time I replied, I somehow replaced "Belgium" with "The Netherlands".  Probably because it was you talking. :)  So what I meant was:

Does The Netherlands Belgium have an electoral system that is especially prone to such deadlocks, or is this a very exceptional case?  Does it usually take longer than e.g. the European average to form a government there?

I guess the answers are more or less the same.  :)

In Belgium it's worse because tensions have been rising between the Flemish and Walloons for quite a while, as the Flemish accuse the Walloon region of being dependent on economic subsidies from the Flemish region, as well as reluctance by the Walloons to learn Dutch; while the Walloons accuse the Flemish of being segregationist with language policy in the Flemish region.

The most recent election was fought mainly on the failure to resolve the conflict over the electoral arrondissement of Brussels-Halle-Vilvoorde. In basic terms, the conflict centered around political and linguistic differences in the arrondissement, with the Flemish desiring to split the arrondissement into two separate areas and the Walloons wanting to keep it together.

14.01.2011: Ben Ali resigns as president of Tunisia.
11.02.2011: Hosni Mubarak resigns as president of Egypt.
01.03.2011: Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg resigns as defence minister of Germany.

Who? This man:

guttenberg.jpg

Copy, Paste and Delete
The Downfall of Defense Minister Guttenberg
By Charles Hawley

Initially, it appeared as though German Defense Minister Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg might survive the scandal surrounding accusations that he plagiarized large portions of his dissertation. But on Tuesday, he bowed to the growing pressure and resigned.

At first, he thought he could withstand the pressure. But in the end, even German star politician Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg could not escape the growing scandal surrounding indications that he plagiarized large portions of his doctoral dissertation. On Tuesday, he announced his resignation.

"I have always been ready to fight the fight," Guttenberg said during his brief audio announcement broadcast at shortly after 11 a.m. "But I have reached the limits of my strength."

Government sources told SPEIGEL ONLINE that the defense minister reached his decision to leave Chancellor Angela Merkel's cabinet on Monday. His resignation is effective immediately and it was not clear yet on Tuesday who might take over leadership of the Defense Ministry.

The move came after days of increasingly pointed comments from within Chancellor Angela Merkel's governing coalition and even from within Guttenberg's own party, the Christian Social Union (CSU), the Bavarian sister party to Merkel's Christian Democratic Union (CDU). Even as Merkel herself stood solidly behind her defense minister, the darkening mood among the country's conservatives became difficult to ignore.

Internal Grumblings

Parliamentary President Norbert Lammert (CDU) sad that the scandal was "a nail in the coffin of confidence in our democracy." Minister of Education and Research Annette Schavan, likewise of the CDU, said that "intellectual theft is not a small thing." And former CSU head Günther Beckstein told the newsweekly Stern that "the affair surrounding his dissertation damages both the CSU and Guttenberg himself."

The internal grumblings came despite efforts by Guttenberg to defuse the scandal. Last week, as the scale of the problems with his dissertation became fully apparent, he asked his alma mater, the University of Bayreuth, to withdraw his Ph.D., which he was awarded in 2006. The university did so shortly thereafter. Guttenberg also made an appearance before parliament last week during which he expressly apologized for the problems with his dissertation in the hopes that, by confronting his critics in the opposition, he could take the wind out of their sails.

The CSU star's first line of defense, however, appeared to be his repeated insistence that the problems with his dissertation had no bearing on his position at the head of the Defense Ministry -- an effort that Merkel herself had supported, saying last week that she had chosen Guttenberg to head the Defense Ministry and not "as a research assistant."

In his brief statement on Tuesday, Guttenberg once again seemed to blame his critics and the German media for focusing so intently on his dissertation. "If, as has been the case in recent weeks," Guttenberg said in his Tuesday statement, "the attention of the public and the media is almost exclusively focused on the person of Guttenberg and his dissertation instead of, for example, the death and injury of 13 soldiers (eds. note: three German soldiers were killed in Afghanistan last week), then it ... harms the institution I have been tasked with leading."

Difficult to Swallow

Recently, though, criticism had begun to focus more on his denial of intent then on the dissertation as such. Guttenberg repeatedly insisted in recent weeks that any problems with citation in his dissertation were the result of sloppiness and were not premeditated. Given the massive extent of the problems, however -- according to a Internet-based Wiki set up to investigate the dissertation, up to 300 pages of the 475-page work contain passages that are copied word-for-word from external sources and insufficiently cited -- many in both the academic and political worlds found the claim difficult to swallow.

Indeed, a leading politician from Merkel's coalition went on the record on Monday with calls for Guttenberg to step down. "Should he continue to allow the circumstances of his dissertation to remain so unclear, I think that he, as minister and as the top official of two Bundeswehr universities, is no longer acceptable," Martin Neumann, parliamentary spokesman for academic issues for the business-friendly Free Democratic Party (FDP), Merkel's junior coalition partner, told the Financial Times Deutschland newspaper.

Indications that Guttenberg had plagiarized parts of his dissertation were first reported by the Munich-based daily Süddeutsche Zeitung in mid-February. Initial attention focused on entire paragraphs from newspaper and journal articles that found their way into Guttenberg's work, which was awarded the highest possible mark by the University of Bayreuth. Soon, it also became apparent that even the first two paragraphs from his introduction were not his own. Crucial analytical sections of the work -- a comparison between the creation of the US Constitution and efforts to produce a similar document for the European Union -- were likewise taken from external sources.

'Most Painful Step of My Life'

The German parliament got involved last week after it became clear that Guttenberg had even violated Bundestag rules by pasting entire research notes compiled by parliamentary research assistants into his final draft. Guttenberg tried to deflect concerns by emphasizing that he had written his dissertation in parallel with his duties as a member of the Bundestag, which he joined in 2002, and as a family man.

Guttenberg leaves behind a Defense Ministry in the middle of its furthest-reaching reforms in years. In recent months, Germany eliminated mandatory conscription in favor of a purely professional army but has recently struggled in the attempt to recruit enough new soldiers to fill the gap. There had likewise been talk that Merkel herself was dissatisfied with the progress of the reform.

Guttenberg, however, had proven able to weather criticism in the past. As recently as January, his leadership was questioned when a trio of mini-scandals hit the headlines in Germany. One involved the opening of mail from soldiers in Afghanistan before they reached their destination; another saw questions arise about the death of a soldier in Afghanistan after he and a comrade were playing around with a weapon; and a third involved the death of a sailor on board the German naval training ship Gorch Fock.

But Guttenberg had long seemed immune to the scandals. Even as the political opposition in Berlin has accused him of often being less than forthcoming when it comes to questions about his leadership, his direct style of speech and leadership has endeared him to broad swaths of the German public. Indeed, he was widely praised when he took over the Defense Ministry for his willingness to use the word "war" when describing the situation in Afghanistan -- a term that political Berlin had been eager to avoid until then.

In the end, however, questions about his forthrightness proved to be his downfall.

"This is," he said on Tuesday, "the most painful step of my entire life."

Source

As someone who is currently in the middle of writing an academic thesis and spent a complete hour in the library today adding foot notes, I couldn't be happier. German media are analysing the debate in society, making out a conflict of academics vs anti-intellectualism (the latter claiming what Guttenberg did wasn't all that bad, and that the accusations against him are unfair), and I am clearly on the side of the academics. What kind of symbol is this for a country that is trying its hardest to put emphasis on research and education? For the past one hundred years and more, intellectual capabilities have been the most valuable ressource in Germany, and education was what brought it back to its feet and retain its status as one of the world's most powerful countries despite its total defeat in two consecutive wars. And now, a popular politician plagiarises his dissertation and all of the sudden it's supposed to be alright? No way. Good riddance, and his crocodile tears have made me lose the last bit of respect for the man.

EDIT: Seeing how Guttenberg was a powerful ally of chancellor Merkel, this strengthens my hope that she will brought down soon.

Here a very informative website, dealing with these questions foreigners may have about Belgium and its use of language.

Which language is spoken in Belgium?
In which language can I contact the authorities?
Which language is taught at school?
What language is spoken in companies and hospitals?
How can I keep abreast of current events in Belgium?
Why is Belgium not just bilingual?
Why do the Flemish people hold so strongly to the monolingualism in the Vlaamse Rand?
Why do the municipalities in the Vlaamse Rand around Brussels continue to be Flemish, even when they are inhabited by a majority of foreign speakers?
Why is Brussels bilingual when only a minority of Dutch speakers live there?
Why does Flanders refuse to ratify the Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities?

FREEDOM?

First (big) step to the independence of Scotland?

The Scottish National Party will form Scotland's first ever majority government after a stunning election victory.
(link to article)

_52589024_scotlandmap304x304.jpg

... The SNP has a clear majority of four and enough Holyrood votes to hold an independence referendum ...

... Mr Cameron said he would campaign to keep the UK together, as he congratulated Mr Salmond.

He said: "I passionately believe in our United Kingdom, so I congratulate Alex Salmond on his emphatic win, but I will do everything obviously as British prime minister to work with the first minister of Scotland, as I always do, and treat the Scottish people and the Scottish government with the respect they deserve.

"But on the issue of the United Kingdom, if they want to hold a referendum, I will campaign to keep our United Kingdom together, with every single fibre that I have." ...

LooseCannon said:
Simply, Scotland is to the UK as Texas is to the USA.

Hmm... not quite. The thing is, the UK had its administration revised a couple of years ago to change it into what is comparable to Canada's, Germany's or the US' federation- i.e. they get their own parliaments. Still perfectly part of the UK. Scotland is, in that sense, no different from England, Wales or Northern Ireland (I think - not sure on the latter).

So, I don't get Foro's point on Scotland being independent. It says nothing like that in the link, and it's said in his quotes that Scotland will remain part of the UK.

I just bloody hope nothing will change, because I really don't feel like getting into renewed bureaucracy when I move to Scotland in September.

Oh OK. I thought countries that were part of the UK were still independent.

I was trying to make a fairly simple comparison, given that Scotland now has its own Parliament.

England doesn't, however. All decisions for England are made by the general Parliament.

LooseCannon said:
England doesn't, however. All decisions for England are made by the general Parliament.
And so we have the West Lothian Question.

Not sure if the referendum on independence will go the way Alex Salmond would want as the polls suggest that most Scots are happy to be part of the UK. But who knows what spin he will give the people of Scotland.

Perun said:
So, I don't get Foro's point on Scotland being independent. It says nothing like that in the link, and it's said in his quotes that Scotland will remain part of the UK.

They are not yet independent. This immense victory could be seen as a first step towards it. A referendum might come, bigger chance on that than ever. That's really in the link I posted, and also in the post itself.

Some additional history on Scotland:
The Kingdom of Scotland emerged as an independent sovereign state in the Early Middle Ages and continued to exist until 1707, although it had been in a personal union with the kingdoms of England and Ireland since James VI of Scotland succeeded to the English and Irish thrones in 1603. On 1 May 1707, Scotland entered into an incorporating political union with England to create the united Kingdom of Great Britain.

So who knows..  after three hundred years, back to basics. ;)

LooseCannon said:
I was trying to make a fairly simple comparison, given that Scotland now has its own Parliament.

So besides Scotland, every country in the UK has the same Parliament?

No. Wales, Northern Ireland, and Scotland have their own Parliaments, while England doesn't have one. All English decisions are made by the general UK Parliament.

LooseCannon said:
All English decisions are made by the general UK Parliament.
And this is a real problem for the English. Potentially (not sure if he does or not) Alex Salmond can actually vote and have his say on things pertaining only to England.

So, I guess things could be more fair (and less complicated) if every country would leave the UK.
Heed the call! Disband the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland!

But seriously, Albie, can you give me info on that? I'd like to read about it.

I am reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_o ... ed_Kingdom and haven't come across it yet, the way you intended.

I did read:

The Scottish Government is responsible in Scotland for all issues that are not explicitly reserved to the United Kingdom Parliament at Westminster by Schedule 5 of the Scotland Act 1998; such devolved matters include NHS Scotland, education, justice and policing, rural affairs, economic development and transport.

Why would a Scott want to have influence on something that has not to do with Scotland (or in your words: "only in England")?

Foro, it's called the West Lothian Question. Salmond is probably not the right example as he, since last year, no longer serves as a Westminster MP, but as the link states:

For how long will English constituencies and English Honourable members tolerate ... at least 119 Honourable Members from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland exercising an important, and probably often decisive, effect on English politics while they themselves have no say in the same matters in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland?

In regards to the AV, the piece I wrote on Facebook about it was probably only read by yourself and my wife (thanks for liking it by the way). But it just goes to show how apathetic the voters were towards it. The way it went was not that we all think FPTP is good, it's just they could not get the head around the change that was offered. I voted yes, in the end. I was still a tiny bit undecided until I actually read the voting slip and had to make a decision.

However, if the Union does break up, I reckon the parliament in England will form with a different voting system.

Back