Edguy / Avantasia / Tobias Sammet

The title of the new album is A Paranormal Evening with the Moonflower Society

I am not sure it could have been more Tobias Sammet even if he tried harder. Can't wait to hear it!

The new single, The Wicked Rule the Night, was just aired on Tobias Sammet's Rockshow. It will be released tomorrow. Featuring Ralf Scheepers.

Seemed like a good song on first listen. Heavy. Gave me early Avantasia vibes. Can't wait for the album and the tour this summer, got tickets for two shows altough I might skip one of them.

It would be great to hear Bruce on an Avantasia album.
That would be awesome.
The new single, The Wicked Rule the Night, was just aired on Tobias Sammet's Rockshow. It will be released tomorrow. Featuring Ralf Scheepers.

Seemed like a good song on first listen. Heavy. Gave me early Avantasia vibes.
Good song, yes. I like the riff and especially the chorus and the solo. The title of the album is kinda cool too.

Btw, is there any news about a new Edguy album?

No Edguy album planned. The band is on hiatus. Tobias have commented that many times on his facebook page. He have also hinted to some internal conflicts between some members.

They were on a good commercial road with Hellfire club and Rocket ride, but Tinnitus sanctus kinda backfired the band, it got poor reviews, and I remember many shows sold poorly and gigs got moved to smaller venues. The last American tour and Australian tour was a disaster audience wise. After that they only did tours in Europe and being warm up for Scorpions, Deep Purple and Slash (=safe, small paychecks), and a small "best-of" tour in central Europe in 2017. I really like their last two albums, but they never got much touring outside of Europe.

At the same time, The scarecrow got released and sold well, the world tour was a big success, 2010 we got two Avantasia albums and another sold out world tour. Then Avantasia got a new lucrative deal with Nuclear blast, longer world tours, well selling albums (=bigger pay checks).

I’m afraid we will never see another Edguy album. Maybe a festival tour if they get paid enough, maybe related to some anniversary in 2025 or 2027. It is way more likely Toby will do a solo album between Avantasia.

Avantasia was phenomenal tonight in Oslo. Simply great. Jørn Lande obviously got a sensational reception and he talked a lot with the audience, Eric Martin came on stage at one point and called it the Jørn Lande show. But it was truly special. Let the Storm Descend Upon You was the highlight of the show, what a monstrous song that is.

Avantasia was phenomenal tonight in Oslo. Simply great. Jørn Lande obviously got a sensational reception and he talked a lot with the audience, Eric Martin came on stage at one point and called it the Jørn Lande show. But it was truly special. Let the Storm Descend Upon You was the highlight of the show, what a monstrous song that is.
Forgot to mention that I saw Chris Dale after the show. Didn't go up to him, which I regret not doing.

Over to Avantasia, a new single from the upcoming album was released yesterday, "The Moonflower Society" featuring Bob Catley. My first impression is that it's good, altough lacking spark or something. I will have to listen to it a few more times. The guest artist are also revealed now, or shall I say leaked.

1. Welcome To The Shadows
  2. The Wicked Rule The Night (feat Ralph Scheepers)
  3. Kill The Pain Away (feat Floor Jansen)
  4. The Inmost Light (feat Michael Kiske)
  5. Misplaced Among The Angels (feat Floor Jansen)
  6. I Tame The Storm (fear Jorn Lande)
  7. Paper Plane (feat Ronnie Atkins)
  8. The Moonflower Society (feat Bob Catley)
  9. Rhyme And Reason (feat Eric Martin)
  10. Scars (feat Geoff Tate)
  11. Arabesque (feat Michael Kiske, Jorn Lande)
  12. Paper Plane – Tobias’ Demo Version (Limited Edition Mediabook bonus track)
I am really happy Kiske still is a part of it, and I can't wait to hear Floor Jansen on an Avantasia album.

Floor is the only one of these he never collaborated before? The whole project has become stale, if you ask me. Always the same singers, always the same style, Tobi on all songs :yawn:

Floor is the only one of these he never collaborated before? The whole project has become stale, if you ask me. Always the same singers, always the same style, Tobi on all songs :yawn:
And Ralph Scheepers.

I am really happy Kiske and Lande are still part of it. But Ronnie Atkins and Geoff Tate could easily be replaced IMO. But Tobi writes great music for his guest singers. Floor Jansen will probably sound 10 times better than on recent Nightwish.

and I can't wait to hear Floor Jansen on an Avantasia album.
The new single with Floor, ''Misplaced Among The Angels'' is a very good ballad. The chorus is emotional and brilliant. What is your opinion?

The new single with Floor, ''Misplaced Among The Angels'' is a very good ballad. The chorus is emotional and brilliant. What is your opinion?
My first impression is a bit meh. I will have to give it a few more listens, but so far this song and the two other haven't made me superexcited about the album.

A Paranormal Evening with the Moonflower Society is out today! Will have to give it a few listens before I form an opinion, but seems good. The opening track and I Tame the Storm probably the songs that left the biggest impression so far.

I quite like this album! There are highlights and good moments in several places scattered across it. Favourite song is Paper Plane - that song is a good summary of many things that made me fall in love with them in the first place. Not to mention the chorus of the first song, and not to forget the absolute hypnotic mid-instrumental part of the title track!

Only song that fell flat with me was Arabesque, but that may be due to my expectations. It's called Arabesque but sounds more of an Irish or a Scottish thing than an Arab thing. I just now learned that it's both a ballet stance and Arabic/Islamic art. At least I'll get to listen to it with a broader perspective the next time.

Favourite song is Paper Plane - that song is a good summary of many things that made me fall in love with them in the first place
After 3-4 listens this is my least favourite, and one of the weakest Avantasia songs since Angel of Babylon.

In all this album lacks great moments like previous albums had, but it's still good.

Best songs so far: Welcome to the Shadows, The Wicked Rule the Night, I Tame the Storm and The Moonflower Society.

For the next album I hope he changes the lineup drastically. Kiske doesn't add anything anymore, and since he has Helloween and won't tour with Avantasia I don't see any reason to have him on the albums either. Ronnie Atkins, Eric Martin and Geoff Tate could also be replaced of the usual suspects.

Bit late but I've been really enjoying this album - good cheesy fun the whole way through.

Lots of favourites so they're hard to pick. I agree that Welcome To The Shadows and I Tame The Storm are standouts but I wouldn't say no to any of the ballads either. The last three songs are probably the weakest for me so far but that might just be my waning attention span at that point in the album.

The last three songs are probably the weakest for me so far but that might just be my waning attention span at that point in the album.
Which can't be a good sign..

The album is very meh. Alongside Angel of Babylon the weakest Avantasia album.

Which can't be a good sign..

The album is very meh. Alongside Angel of Babylon the weakest Avantasia album.
Nah, I'm genuinely a fan of this album (and Angel of Babylon for that matter) - it's just the only new album I've been listening to lately so I've overdone it a little. I don't have a clear picture of how I'd rank it as I'd need to revisit a couple of the albums (The first Metal Opera and Ghostlights in particular).

Nah, I'm genuinely a fan of this album (and Angel of Babylon for that matter) - it's just the only new album I've been listening to lately so I've overdone it a little. I don't have a clear picture of how I'd rank it as I'd need to revisit a couple of the albums (The first Metal Opera and Ghostlights in particular).
I will have to give this one more listens, but at the moment I can't be bothered. My enthusiasm was surprisingly shortlived. Will give the entire discography a revisit shortly and rank the albums in the near future.

Those two albums are btw my favourites.

Back