Easy Maiden guitar songs

I think The Trooper was the second song I ever learned to play (the first being Led Zeppelin's Rock and Roll).

The harmonised trill riff is tricky at first, but just listen carefully to yourself and the recording and you can nail it in no time. I think the biggest challenge in the song apart from the solo(s) is the position shift from the intro riff to the pre-verse riff... I always accidently mute the E string! D'oh.  :(

I can't see anybody has mentioned Afraid to shoot strangers. Most of this song is fairly easy to play (I can do it, and I have only played guitar for two years, electric only one). Another great song which isn't too hard is The Clansman, methinks.

Now I must admit that I didn't include the solos in the consideration, the few solos I can play are in Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody and Metallica's Nothing else matters and the first solo in Master of Puppets (the slow one). Maybe that excludes me from posting in the musicians forum?

I must also say I agree with those who say it's a good idea to improvise the solos when you play along or learn a song. I often do that playing along with Maiden songs on my guitar or keyboard. (Yes, playing Maiden on a keyboard is enjoyable)

The first song i could play in whole was Virus. It`s quite easy, mainly because the solo is really slow.

First 2 Maiden songs i learnt in their entirety were Phantom of the Opera and Hallowed be thy Name. I had been playing for years though by this point, if i was more of a beginner i think it would've been a more painstaking process than what it was.

A lot of it tends to be about timing, the parts of a lot of the songs are, on paper at least, not technically difficult to play but can easily be messed up due to coming in at the wrong time, time changes etc... A good song to start on if you are a "beginner" would be Running Free I think. If you play along to the Live After Death version then you have your own backing track for a few mins as well in places! I'd say some good songs to learn with "dodgy" timing would be Number of the Beast, the opening riff isn't overly difficult but the slightly awkward timing keeps you on your toes listening for the changes. Same with 22 Acacia ave, for similar reasons. Fear of the Dark is a good one also, not just for timing but theres an interesting variation between the first 2 verses and choruses that gave me warm fuzzy feelings inside when i learnt it (and its insanely fun to play too!)

People have mentioned the "trill" in the Trooper, and it really isn't that hard to do it but it sounds impressive as hell once you can!!

I say just dive in there, strap your guitar on and push play. See how far you can get in a couple of hours. The more you play along to them the easier it becomes. You just need a half good ear and decent hand eye coordination. I've learnt the best part of 9 albums (ish) so far in my quest to know all the songs. You'll soon develop a system, and what you learn whilst learning the 1st few songs you'll find you'll be able to apply it a lot more easily when learning others  :ok:

Prodigal Son said:
Well, if you skip the solos or save them for when you've improved your skills, most Maiden songs are quite playable. Maybe "Running Free" is okay. It's not too bomplex, but it does offer a couple of challenges to the novice.
:bigsmile:  I agree the song Running Free would be great for a beginner on a guitar.

After playing along with the entire Powerslave album friday night, I will also nominate the mighty Rime in this thread. The only part of the song which is really hard to play is the solo part. But the fact that the song runs 13:34 of course makes it quite demanding on the wrists and fingers  :innocent:

Raven said:
I'll be the first to admit that getting the gallops in (for example) The Trooper sounding good up to speed is difficult for a beginner,

I am having a very hard time with this part. Any tips would be nice. I cant get it right even slow it seems. i have watched an instructional video for this song but it didn't help other than show me what to do. i just cannot apply what i have learned.

http://www.jamplay.com/guitar-lessons/full/the-trooper-287.html

Here's some general advice on learning difficult parts that may help...

1. Invest in a metronome and use it. Until you've been playing for many many years, it's hard to keep an accurate tempo at slow speeds. (Yes, believe it or not, playing slow is in many ways more difficult than playing fast.)

2. Set your metronome at a very slow speed - less than half of the song's real tempo. I like to start at 60 beats per minute.

3. At that slow speed, isolate the biggest problem. In "The Trooper", that is likely to be the right-hand gallop picking rather than the left-hand chord changes. Work on an accurate gallop rhythm with a single, non-changing power chord on the left hand. Do it until you've got it right - and then keep doing it for another ten minutes. Yes, you read right - ten minutes nonstop of playing a gallop with no mistakes. You want to train yourself to do this rhythm so well you could play it in your sleep. It's boring as hell, but it's worth every second.

4. Now you can start increasing the metronome by small amounts. I'd suggest increments of 4 beats per minute - so you're going to 64, then 68, then 72, 76, 80, etc. Play until you get the gallop right, and then add another five minutes of perfect galloping at each tempo. Note that if you try to get up to full speed in a single day, you'll need many hours... so spread this out over a week's practice instead. But after only 15 increments, you should be able to gallop at 120 beats per minute. Not yet full speed for "The Trooper", but fast enough to move on...

5. Once you can gallop at 120, try adding the chord changes on the left hand. If that addition now makes you mess up the gallop rhythm, slow it down again. Try 100, then 80, then 60... find the tempo at which you can play the riff correctly. If you've got the feel of the gallop down with your right hand, it shouldn't take too long to get the left hand correct at some slower tempo.

6. Now you start increasing the tempo again, in 4-bpm increments. At each stage, make sure you can play that riff flawlessly for much longer than necessary. I'd do about 2 minutes of it, but remember that I've got many years of experience... you may need more time. Don't rush to the next tempo! Be absolutely sure you can get it absolutely right at one speed every time before moving up.

7. Eventually, you'll have this riff down at full speed. And due to the prominence of gallop rhythms in metal songs, spending a couple of weeks or more to learn "The Trooper" will pay huge dividends down the road. There are few gallop songs which are easier than "The Trooper"; if you can't nail this song, don't even think about trying some of those Iced Earth riffs. But mastering the gallop on this song means you can transpose that skill to hundreds of other songs, and you'll learn the next one in days instead of weeks ... and eventually, it will be hours instead of days.

Flight Of Icarus is easy and fun. Stranger In A Strange Land too...apart from the solo.

Sin Min thank you, that is great advice. Yes, it is the picking part I cannot nail. I have been trying to get it right without the chord changes. I will conitinue to hammer away at it. :ok:

Try using Guitar Pro.  It's a great program to learn songs on, because you can play along at variable speeds.

It helped me through learning "Metropolis"...  :innocent:

And do you also bring your computer with Guitar Pro on stage with you?

I'm not saying computers aren't useful tools. But you have to learn to play on your own.

Or maybe I'm just old-fashioned, having learned to play before computers were useful for that.

SinisterMinisterX said:
And do you also bring your computer with Guitar Pro on stage with you?

I'm not saying computers aren't useful tools. But you have to learn to play on your own.

Or maybe I'm just old-fashioned, having learned to play before computers were useful for that.

Well, learning it with computers i think is the quickest way.  It just makes it easy to get the timing and notes right fast.

I learn the majority of my songs by ear, but if ever there's a tricky part I can get it worked out with Guitar Pro in usually less than 30 minutes.

Quite easy songs imo:
-Powerslave
-Wasted Years (try slowly first. only one string, quite easy to play)
-Stranger In A Strange Land
-Alexander the Great (the slow part of the beginning)
-Dance of Death (intro)

And The Trooper isn't so hard as it sounds. It's actually quite easy.

SinisterMinisterX said:
As for solos: if you want to learn them as Dave / H / Janick played them, that's fine. But a solo is supposed to be a guitarist's chance to express himself. I'd recommend that you learn a few simple scales and experiment with them, and develop your own soloing style.
I totally agree with SMX here although what i do when i'm playing along to Maiden is to play the solo note perfect if its the studio version or if its a live album then i'll improvise over the solos as the guys do( especially Janick)

thats a very subjective question. Almost every genre there has some very easy guitar work and very complex work. Id say to learn from easiest to hardest start with rhythm tracks.

The first song i was able to play completely was Wasting Love - slow, wonderful, easy solo.

Run To The Hills, Revelations, are quite simple too, but solos are just too fast for me so i wait until i can master the speed.

Run to the hills is actually one of Maiden's fastest galloping songs, it may be hard for a novice to keep up with.

I'd say eldorado or TFF(not s15). If you can get the the gallop el dorado would be very simple, and TFF is stupidly easy.

Back