Easy Maiden guitar songs

Real World

Maindenfans.com Founder
Are there any Maiden songs that are good for a beginner? ie. don't have stupidly complex solos etc.
I came across the tab for I think it was Where Eagles Dare and it looked pretty simple but maybe it was a bad tab. Any suggestions?

Well, if you skip the solos or save them for when you've improved your skills, most Maiden songs are quite playable. Maybe "Running Free" is okay. It's not too bomplex, but it does offer a couple of challenges to the novice.

Real World said:
Are there any Maiden songs that are good for a beginner? ie. don't have stupidly complex solos etc.
I came across the tab for I think it was Where Eagles Dare and it looked pretty simple but maybe it was a bad tab. Any suggestions?

I used to think that Maiden song were hard to play until I got into them seriously and played along. The only problem is that they need two guitar players. Easy to do when you have a recording software.
I recommend Montségur, but there are loads of Maiden songs that you can nail without working too much. There are dozens of MIDI backings to start with anyway. Good luck!

Not counting the solos, both "Flight Of Icarus" and "The Trooper" are quite easy. Don't be scared of that guitar lick in "The Trooper" which precedes each verse; it's much easier to play than it sounds like.

As for solos: if you want to learn them as Dave / H / Janick played them, that's fine. But a solo is supposed to be a guitarist's chance to express himself. I'd recommend that you learn a few simple scales and experiment with them, and develop your own soloing style.

I think 'Total Eclipse' and 'The Nomad' are quite enjoyable and not difficult to play in regard of rhythm guitar.

HI this is my 1st post. Ive find "Fear OF The Dark" quite easy. It was the first maiden song i heard and learned to play. Its only the solo at around 4:09 thats a tricky. Otherwise a relatively easy song to play.

supersonic said:
HI this is my 1st post. Ive find "Fear OF The Dark" quite easy. It was the first maiden song i heard and learned to play. Its only the solo at around 4:09 thats a tricky. Otherwise a relatively easy song to play.

The acoustic melody and the section after the solos are especially fun to play.  I don't bother much with the solos at the minute...after all, most solos are so designed that they show off the artists' technical skill (or, if you want the technical term, 'wankery').  It's much better to get the main riffs down first of all, and build up from there.

Real World said:

Steve Harris suggested in 1983 that Flight of Icarus and Running Free might be good to begin with.

iron maiden (the song) - really simple
running free - about on the same level as the above song
the trooper - sinisterminister is right it isn't as hard as it sounds
the flight of icarus
where eagles dare
revelations - i find it easy anyways

those are all pretty simple maiden classics if you exclude the solos but you need to train your ear to be able to identify the scale that the solo is in and then just improvise and it will sound pretty close. I normally just improvise instead of trying to learn the exact solo but learning the solo the way they play it in the song will definately be a good challenge and skill builder.

Yeah, there's a couple of easy Maiden songs to play like:

The Wicker Man, Different World, Lord Of The Flies, Revelations, Running Free, Iron Maiden and Fear Of The Dark.  :)

dance of death, the clansman, como estais amigos has really simple themes, nice chords, try them :)

Well, I started with the Sign of the Cross. It is quite long, but not that hard to play (well - not counting solos, solos are beyond my skills :) And usually, I learnt slow intros of other pieces first and then advanced to faster parts, trying to build my skill this way.

The different world riff is quite easy aswell I think. Just try it out.
I usually don't go and learn a whole song, I just go like: wow that's a cool riff let's see if I can play it.

supersonic said:

same here and after that i learned The Trooper and Hallowed Be Thy Name which are both quite easy to play.

I would have to agree with SMX about The Trooper.  It is also a good song to learn because both the opening guitar part and the part before the verses can be used as stand alone finger exercises.

Easy songs with easy solos? Hmmm, Wasted Years, The Longest Day, The Trooper, The Legacy (kinda long though.), Different World, Blood Brothers are examples of em. Though easy, these songs are real treats to listen, and are worth learning. The solos don't really make you go mad about learning them, just get the timing. From these selections, I'd rate the difficulty of the solos from easiest to not so easy. Blood Brothers, The Longest Day, Wasted Years, The Legacy, then The Trooper(The solo is not really hard, but the pull offs in Adrian's solo might take some time to get used to if you're a begginer)

Mmm...Donuts said:
Easy songs with easy solos?  The Legacy (kinda long though.),

:blink: The Legacy is the hardest song i've ever tried to learn on guitar! It's very complicated.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Not counting the solos, both "Flight Of Icarus" and "The Trooper" are quite easy. Don't be scared of that guitar lick in "The Trooper" which precedes each verse; it's much easier to play than it sounds like.

As for solos: if you want to learn them as Dave / H / Janick played them, that's fine. But a solo is supposed to be a guitarist's chance to express himself. I'd recommend that you learn a few simple scales and experiment with them, and develop your own soloing style.

there, sadly, is no such thing as an easy maiden song :(.  the gallops can go to high speeds sometimes.  the only exceptions in my opinion (i havent heard every maiden song, im still kinda gettin all the albums and stuff) but from what ive heard, id say powerslave, flight of icarus, 2 minutes, and from here to eternity.  i wouldnt start playin maiden stuff till youre a bit farther in.  i would reccomend a ton of sabbath tunes, cuz iommi had plastic fingertips and they were sometimes hard to use so most of the riffs just take a little rythm.  good luck with that! :)

killerbeast said:
there, sadly, is no such thing as an easy maiden song :(.  the gallops can go to high speeds sometimes.  the only exceptions in my opinion (i havent heard every maiden song, im still kinda gettin all the albums and stuff) but from what ive heard, id say powerslave, flight of icarus, 2 minutes, and from here to eternity.  i wouldnt start playin maiden stuff till youre a bit farther in.  i would reccomend a ton of sabbath tunes, cuz iommi had plastic fingertips and they were sometimes hard to use so most of the riffs just take a little rythm.  good luck with that! :)

Actually, Maiden's rhythms are quite easy to get going fast, once you've practised them enough.  All they really require is a good, steady picking hand.  I'll be the first to admit that getting the gallops in (for example) The Trooper sounding good up to speed is difficult for a beginner, but stuff like Hallowed and Fear of the Dark is at a moderate pace, and so quite easy to get correct.  Practise and familiarity is the key.

Hmm.. Easy gallops like The Duellists, Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, and similar.

More easy guitar solos. Try ROTAM(Theres a little sweep picking in H's solo, but not that hard), Killers isn't so bad either. Though Adrian's part has some sweep picking which can be a bit awkward without the proper timing. Stranger In A Strange Land is pretty good start to, though the timing can be a killer.

Back