Dream Theater

Ministry worst? It's one of the better songs on Systematic.
From those I've heard it could be: Build Me Up Break Me Down, Forsaken, Wither (but I only heard it once), maybe The Answer Lies Within? I'm also not the biggest fan of Just Let Me Breathe, Untethered Angel is okay...

They really don't have very many bad songs. Most overrated is probably Sacrificed Sons/Illumination Theory

I don’t think those songs are that highly praised to begin with. Definitely not Sacrificed Sons.

Yeah definitely not those two songs. If we’re talking overrated than Pull Me Under and The Spirit Carries On.

Sacrificed Sons is awesome. No clues, a complete surpriiise, then the change in tempo and an angry noisy solo section which leads to an orchestrated culmination. Wither is formulaic but complemented by the rich sound of Black Clouds. JP perfected his clean tones on that album, really deep and organic.
The Spirit Carries On.

Contender for best Petrucci solo but there are so many great ones that it's hard to pick. Octavarium, About to Crash, The Best of Times, Constant Motion and many more...

Sacrificed Sons is more often than not in the top 3 on Octavarium with Root and the obvious. It's very long and the intro it's unnecessary, it's not like in Great Debate where the people actually talk there's a lot of annoying noises, what a terrible start.

Never Enough has a good chorus and These Walls is very good, SS isn't so bad it's boring, better maybe than I Walk Beside You and The Answer Lies Within.

Sacrificed Sons is more often than not in the top 3 on Octavarium with Root and the obvious. It's very long and the intro it's unnecessary, it's not like in Great Debate where the people actually talk there's a lot of annoying noises, what a terrible start.

I just skip the intro. I love how the drums kick in with a super simple rhythm.

I'm a big fan of the chorus and the rest is pretty good, though not a standout. 3 out of 3 that I like off this album so far, could well be my favorite of their's in the last decade.

Honestly, the fact that the longest song on Distance Over Time is "only" nine minutes is pretty telling - this is them going back to their roots. Remember, When Dream And Day Unite came out on the 6th of March, 1989. It's going to have its 30th anniversary this year and not at all long after the new album's release.

And one thing about When Dream And Day Unite that Distance Over Time shares with it is the fact that they both lack any song over 10 minutes in length. The Astonishing also shared this honour, but that was an outlier and a result of it being a massive concept album with tons of songs. Distance Over Time is also the first album since Images And Words (or the A Change Of Seasons EP) to be under an hour. Henceforth, my belief that this is them going back to their roots. It's also what they said - they wanted to write shorter, concise songs which I think is an excellent move, by the way.

I haven't found any of the three currently released songs to be anything particularly great, but I'm still pretty excited for Distance Over Time. Pretty sure it's going to be a transitional one, but we'll have to wait and see about that part until later.

My biggest concern is that it's going to be lacking a lot of experimentation - after all, The Astonishing was a huge experiment and we know how that turned out, so I'm a bit worried that DT is going to learn the wrong lesson about The Astonishing's response. DT-by-the-numbers is still worthwhile, but it's also disappointing, since it's a telltale sign that they're currently short of any particular aspirations.

Not true, Petrucci currently has many aspirations to lift heavy things, put them back down again, and repeat until it's time to cook burgers.

John Petrucci will give up guitar and become a celebrity chef. Eventually he will take Gordon Ramsay’s spot on Hell’s Kitchen and change the intro song to.. ‘Hell’s Kitchen’.

And then Gordon Ramsay will come back onto the show after 2 incredibly boring, awkward episodes and yell at Petrucci until he cries on national television, thus giving him some real shame to work through and BOOM: we'll have the most inspired DT album in years! Thanks Gordon Ramsay!

And then Gordon Ramsay will come back onto the show after 2 incredibly boring, awkward episodes and yell at Petrucci until he cries on national television, thus giving him some real shame to work through and BOOM: we'll have the most inspired DT album in years! Thanks Gordon Ramsay!
We could call it.. Hell’s Kitchen Part 2: Scenes From My Television

Back