Dream Theater

[!--QuoteBegin-jacen110091+Nov 24 2005, 11:18 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(jacen110091 @ Nov 24 2005, 11:18 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Oh n' have you guys heard their cover on "Number of The Beast" ?
(entire album)
Quite a decent performance, IMO
[snapback]123948[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Someone told me that they have an entire album coven on "Master of Puppets", I've just heard Master of Puppets (the song) with them and it could have been perfect but James La'Brie (Once again I hope I didn't misspell) didn't sing well, he ruined the music of the others (Well that's what I thought and I would like to discuss this song played by DT)

[!--QuoteBegin-Metal_made+Nov 25 2005, 08:40 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Metal_made @ Nov 25 2005, 08:40 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Someone told me that they have an entire album coven on "Master of Puppets"
[/quote]

They did. But LaBrie can't possible "growl" as well as Hetfield.
The "Thing That Should Not Be" was done awsomely though...

They've also done "Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd" as complete album covers...

Children Of The Damned
Gangland
Hallowed Be Thy Name

(Best on their cover-album of Number Of The Beast)

[!--QuoteBegin-jacen110091+Nov 26 2005, 12:27 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(jacen110091 @ Nov 26 2005, 12:27 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]They did. But LaBrie can't possible "growl" as well as Hetfield.
The "Thing That Should Not Be" was done awsomely though...

They've also done "Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd" as complete album covers...

Children Of The Damned
Gangland
Hallowed Be Thy Name

(Best on their cover-album of Number Of The Beast)
[snapback]124028[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Hey pal, I want to contact you to see if you can send me a few songs from the covers (Specially Pink Floyd and Iron Maiden)

James LaBrie has some good solo work. I've only heard one of his songs called 'Oblivious' from 'Elements of Persausion' and it's fucking amazing. It's not too dissimilar from the Dream Theater stuff, but it sounds simpler withour all the time changes etc.

[!--QuoteBegin-Metal_made+Nov 26 2005, 09:47 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Metal_made @ Nov 26 2005, 09:47 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Hey pal, I want to contact you to see if you can send me a few songs from the covers (Specially Pink Floyd and Iron Maiden)
[snapback]124090[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Thats cool with me,
My msn id is on my profile...

(Though I still haven't found all of "The Dark Side Of The Dream")

[!--QuoteBegin-Stefan Verbal Delikvent+Nov 28 2005, 12:13 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Stefan Verbal Delikvent @ Nov 28 2005, 12:13 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]When did they cover pink floyd?
[snapback]124241[/snapback]​
[/quote]

11-10-2005
(very recent)

interesting....

btw. my friend told me that song octavarium is oink floyd rip off and that they should feel ashamed....

[!--QuoteBegin-Stefan Verbal Delikvent+Dec 1 2005, 01:51 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Stefan Verbal Delikvent @ Dec 1 2005, 01:51 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]btw. my friend told me that song octavarium is oink floyd rip off and that they should feel ashamed....
[snapback]124396[/snapback]​
[/quote]
The vibe at the start of "Octavarius" does remind me of the opening of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond". However, SOYCD is a superb musical work (it's far too expansive to simply call it a 'song') and drawing inspiration from it is no crime. It's much better than drawing inspiration from a merely average composition.

[!--QuoteBegin-Ascendancy+Nov 26 2005, 12:00 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ascendancy @ Nov 26 2005, 12:00 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]James LaBrie has some good solo work. I've only heard one of his songs called 'Oblivious' from 'Elements of Persausion' and it's fucking amazing. It's not too dissimilar from the Dream Theater stuff, but it sounds simpler withour all the time changes etc.
[snapback]124102[/snapback]​
[/quote]

You mean he has his own CD'S?, wow, didn't know that, was this before Dream Theater?

I agree with SMX; I don't know where I saw a good quote: bad artists copy; great artists steal. [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Makes ya think

[!--QuoteBegin-Ascendancy+Dec 1 2005, 06:11 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ascendancy @ Dec 1 2005, 06:11 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Are Oink Floyd a new band for Pigs? Must be a big hit on the farm.  [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]124409[/snapback]​
[/quote]
interesting comment....

fuckin' keyboard....

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Ace+Dec 2 2005, 09:04 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Ace @ Dec 2 2005, 09:04 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I agree with SMX; I don't know where I saw a good quote: bad artists copy; great artists steal. [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Makes ya think
[snapback]124461[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Have you ever heard of Goran Bregovic?

btw. I think that any work that is too reminiscent of original isn't allowed....

and DT does it all the time....

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Nov 23 2005, 11:31 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Nov 23 2005, 11:31 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Images and Words grows on you and it is a very good album, but Awake is one of those that is just a slap in the face that makes you go "DAMN!"
[snapback]123864[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Vice versa for me mate. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Oct 26 2005, 04:43 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Oct 26 2005, 04:43 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I really like DT, though I'll admit some of their less stellar material can get boring. But their last album really restored my faith in them. I think the title track from that record ("Octavarium") is simply amazing.
[snapback]121399[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I 100% agree.

Ah, Dream Theater. My 3rd favorite band (Behind Maiden and The Cure, that is). I find Dream Theater to be a simply fantastic band. There music is so deep. I love how the Metropolis story has parts in most of their albums. I heard Scenes From A Memory after all of their other ones (which is considered their best by most), and I found a new fondness for them. Because I was able to go back and make connections in some of their other songs. It made some of their beautiful lyrics just a little bit clearer for me. Mabye my imagination is just so ridiculously fantastical, that their are no connections. Does anyone else think that I Walk Beside You maybe Victoria talking to Nicholus? And maybye A Change of Seasons is Nicholus's life sumed up in 23 minutes?

Oh yeah. I happen to like "intrument masterbation". Images and Words is my favorite album of ALL time. And how come no one has mentioned how great Falling Into Infinety is?

As far as i know Metropolis Pt.1 in images and words is the only song officially linked to Scences... what others do you know of?

On "Awake" there is "A Mind Beside Itself" which is the three songs "Erotomania", "Voices" and "The Silent Man". "Erotomania" is the instrumental, starting like an alarm clock, then tunneling through through leading into some beautiful keyboard work and some nice soloing. Then towards the end the climax comes closer and suddenly, the light piano melody and LaBrie singing "Love just don't stare", bringing us into the next track. “Voices” is narrative in nature, telling the story of a boy repressed and frightened by the images and words used by his grandmother in discussing God and Church. It is the inner struggle of a child feeling as though he is being constantly watched and pored over and judged by God and by others. "Voices discussing me, feeling threatened, we reflect your hopes and fears" It’s a constant back-and-forth between what he’s taught and what he feels. The song later relates religious devotion to the ideological fascination fans of a band can have. (Let's face it, some Maiden fanboys go too far) This song is a pleasantly understandable stream of consciousness dedicated to spirituality, inner turmoil, growing up, and dealing with being lonely while not being alone. It tackles the topic of sex before marriage "sex is death, death is sex, says right here on my crucifix" and of fanatical listeners who view musicians as their own personal Messiah (even me, with my Bill Steer worship [!--emo&:blush:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blush.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blush.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ) . It is many questions and few answers, almost seeking to be figured out, but hey, that's what makes lyrics more interesting eh? The musicality itself is driving and eerie, perfectly encompassing each emotion within each melodic transgression.

“Voices” then shifts eloquently and purposefully into the simplified acoustics of “The Silent Man.” “The Silent Man” provides the closure to “Voices,” adding a surreal sense of calm (amplified through the use of background vocals) and sincere discovery of that inner spiritual peace we all so often seek. Using only acoustic guitars, the music itself provides a denouement to the emotional train wreck that occurs in “Voices.” The lyrics of the song represent the hindsight of someone who has discovered that God is in everything, even with us. “When there is reason / tonight I’m Awake / when there’s no answer / arrive the Silent Man.” These lyrics represent the Awakening to the presence of the spirit and the recognition that when you need an answer, the Silent Man, or God, is there.

So that's JP's little trilogy of spiritual discovery for you. Maybe this topic spiralled out a bit (and it's not linked to the whole Scenes From A Memory thing but they are linked right?), but hey what can you do? [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I don't know if Dream Theater intended to have their songs linked from album to album, but I think some of them are. For instance, the main character in SFAM mentions that he been searching for a meaning or more meaning to his life (he may not directally say it, but I belive he does). You can definently relate A Mind Beside Itself to that. Also in A Change of Seasons, the character in the song discusses how, even though he feels so full of life, he is still searching for more. He also says things like "I must explore the boundries". In the song, there is someone who says "She was killed" right before The Darkest of Winters. Could this relate to the death of Victoria? Could this song be about Nicholus's life as a whole? I think so. Even if it's not (which it probably isn't), I really enjoy thinking about this kind of stuff and making connections.

[!--QuoteBegin-Maiden Madness+Dec 16 2005, 03:08 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maiden Madness @ Dec 16 2005, 03:08 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I don't know if Dream Theater intended to have their songs linked from album to album, but I think some of them are.
[snapback]125265[/snapback]​
[/quote]
There are definitely some links. Listen to the end of the "Six Degrees" album, and compare it to the beginning of "Train of Thought". Then listen to the end of "Train" and compare it to the beginning of "Octavarium". Get the picture? [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back