Dream Theater

It was [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ? I thought it was [!--emo&:cussing:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cussing[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cussing[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] ? [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Dragon+Nov 18 2005, 03:22 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Nov 18 2005, 03:22 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Why is it that when a band writes some lyrics that aren't about binge drinking or sex they get written off as 'pretentious'? [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]123414[/snapback]​
[/quote]
pretentious MUSICAL concept....

I didn't talk about lyrics, it's missunderstanding, and when you mentioned lyrics I don't think you should overrate it that much....

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Dragon+Nov 19 2005, 05:08 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Nov 19 2005, 05:08 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I mean writing about it in stupid manner. And anyway, "The Mirror" is about Portnoy's alcohol addiction and how it's tearing him apart so that is sort of about binging right? [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]123511[/snapback]​
[/quote]
well, yeah, 'awake' is pretty much all right with regular dt problems, but respectable for sure....

I keep listening to Octavarium and I find it better everytime. Also, Train of Thoughts doesen't seem all that bad. I think I'm becoming a bit of a DT fan... [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Ace+Nov 23 2005, 09:34 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Ace @ Nov 23 2005, 09:34 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I keep listening to Octavarium and I find it better everytime. Also, Train of Thoughts doesen't seem all that bad. I think I'm becoming a bit of a DT fan... [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]123841[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Better for you... [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

The more the merrier! Do Dream Theater get much exposure come to think of it? Images And Words does have some pretty radio friendly material on it. I'm not deriding the album in any way, in fact, I think it's among the best they've done.

Images and Words grows on you and it is a very good album, but Awake is one of those that is just a slap in the face that makes you go "DAMN!"

I agree in all the previous posts, but really, sometimes when you are at the minute 13 of one of their songs, you are like "I had it, turn it off", but there are songs where you admire the "look what we can do, aren't we a great band? hahahaha" like in Metropolis Pt. 1 or in A

I agree in all the previous posts, but really, sometimes when you are at the minute 13 of one of their songs, you are like "I had it, turn it off (yeah I know you have said that in some point of your life)", but there are songs where you admire the "look what we can do, aren't we a great band? hahahaha (I don't remember who posted that but it ruled)" like in Metropolis Pt. 1 or in A Change of Seasons, or what about Liquid Tension Experiment, I know they aren't officially DT but c'mon it's like the best "Musical Masturbation (I don't remember again who posted that, but it ruled either)"

Yeah, I was the one who noted on the term "Musical Masturbation". Liquid Tension Experiment eh? That's just a instrumental album right?

Let's say Liquid Tension Experiment is like an ohter group in which John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy and Jordan Ruddes (I hope I dind't misspell this last names) play with another bass guitar player, and they have come out with two CDs: LTE 1 and LTE 2, I reccomend the song Acid Rain from LTE 2, a pretty nice "Musical Masturbation" (Damn Black Dragon, I love that term) [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Stefan Verbal Delikvent+Nov 23 2005, 07:34 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Stefan Verbal Delikvent @ Nov 23 2005, 07:34 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]pretentious MUSICAL concept....
[snapback]123770[/snapback]​
[/quote]

How about this:
Black metal is dark and fast music using melodic development to express its themes. Of all the metals, this is the most communicative with the modern listener, expressing nihilism and a heroic anti-social assertion of the self. Evolving simultaneously with death metal, this genre includes all of the technique and rhythmic intensity of the former with more emotive and comprehensible poetic communication within the music.

I just noticed something that sucks. While looking for the lyrics of 'Sacrificed Sons' (which is on the Octavarium album) I found out that the song that i've been listening to is not 'Sacrificed Sons' after all. It's some other song! Damn File Sharing sites!

These are some of the lyrics to that song.

"Like a stranger in the way her arrogance a sure footing. I'd blow her cover if I wanted, let them know she's not who she pretends"

"Now. Where are you now?"

(The first extract is from the beginning of the first verse, and the second extract is the chorus)
So could someone tell what what song it is. I really need to find the real name of that song! Please.

Are you guys heard DT & Bruce Dickinson - smoke on the water and perfect stranger?

[!--QuoteBegin-Guest+Nov 24 2005, 04:35 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Guest @ Nov 24 2005, 04:35 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Are you guys heard DT & Bruce Dickinson - smoke on the water and perfect stranger?
[snapback]123938[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I also heard The Trooper

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Dragon+Nov 24 2005, 09:02 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Nov 24 2005, 09:02 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]How about this:
Black metal is dark and fast music using melodic development to express its themes. Of all the metals, this is the most communicative with the modern listener, expressing nihilism and a heroic anti-social assertion of the self. Evolving simultaneously with death metal, this genre includes all of the technique and rhythmic intensity of the former with more emotive and comprehensible poetic communication within the music.
[snapback]123934[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Eloquent, but crap in its essence, without actual meaning and without true facts....

this is what dt does in music.... [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I've been a huge fan of Dream Theater for a a very long time now...
To the extent that I'd rate them second only to Iron Maiden.

For me, the early albums by the band (When Dream & Day Unite+Images n' Words . . .) were absolout prog-brilliance!
Awake n' A Change Of Seasons being the more experimental (within the genre)

Met Pt 2: Scenes From A Memory...
Now that was a whole new story alltogether. I rate that album right up there with SSOASS n' Operation:Mindcrime as the greatest concept albums of all time!

From their newer stuff, I like the "metal-ism" in their music in Train Of Thought, but Octavarium...
Nah . . .

Oh n' I'd also recommend the solo proects (LTEs being my fav, though the JellyJam is also pretty decent)

Oh n' have you guys heard their cover on "Number of The Beast" ?
(entire album)

Quite a decent performance, IMO

Back