Dream Theater

Funny, just yesterday I was wondering what my favourite song from each album was, and quite a few albums were hard to figure out.

WD&DU: -
I&W: Another Day
Awake: -
FII: Hollow Years
MP2: SFAM: Finally Free
6DOIT: The Glass Prison
TOT: This Dying Soul (they're all very close)
Octavarium: Octavarium
SC: The Ministry of Lost Souls
BC&SL: Let me introduce MAH BROTHA (The Count of Tuscany)
ADTOE: Breaking All Illusions
DT: Illumination Theory
Astonishing: -

WD&DU: probably Killing Hand. I hate Dominici, though.
I&W: Take the Time
Awake: Erotomania
6DOIT: Tough one. Glass Prison, probably.
TOT: Endless Sacrifice. Though, this was the hardest of them all, the runner-up (This Dying Soul) was absurdly persistent. Like Sapp said, they're all very close.
SC: In the Presence of Enemies.
BC&SL: Count of Tuscany
ADTOE: Outcry
DT: The Looking Glass, I guess.
Astonishing: Three Days. That and Dystopian Overture were the only one I even considered, really.

That depends - is SDOIT considered to be one song or several? (I say several, but I know some people are quite rabid regarding that)

Outstanding typo, @JudasMyGuide!

There's even a picture for that.
tumblr_lz53eg4oaj1qcou1ao1_400.jpg

WD&DU: Afterlife
I&W: Take the Time
Awake: Scarred
6DOIT: Blind Faith
TOT: Stream of Consciousness
SC: The Dark Eternal Night
BC&SL: The Count of Tuscany
DT: The Looking Glass
Astonishing: No idea

That depends - is SDOIT considered to be one song or several? (I say several, but I know some people are quite rabid regarding that)
One song. It was written as a song and performed as one for the whole tour. It was only broken up into parts when the record company told them they weren't having a 40 minute long track.

A Mind Beside Itself is totally different. It was rarely performed as one piece and the only indication that it's a suite is in the booklet for Awake.

WD&DU: Ytse Jam
I&W: metropolis part 1
Awake: Voices
FII: Raise the Knife (if not that then Just Let me Breathe)
MP2: SFAM: Beyond this Life
6DOIT: Great Debate
TOT: This Dying Soul
SC: In the Presence of Enemies
ADTOE: Bridges in the Sky
DT: The Bigger Picture
Astonishing: Eww.

So I listened to Train of Thought today, and I had to change my answer to Endless Sacrifice for favorite song.

I also forgot how good Stream of Consciousness is. It's right up there with The Dance of Eternity in terms of the best instrumental.

WD&DU: Killing Hand
I&W: Learning to Live
Awake: Lifting Shadows
FII: Lines in the Sand
MP2: SFAM: Fatal Tragedy
6DOIT: Glass Prison
TOT: Honor Thy Father
SC: Forsaken
DT: Illumination Theory
Astonishing: New Beginning

So I listened to Train of Thought today, and I had to change my answer to Endless Sacrifice for favorite song.

I also forgot how good Stream of Consciousness is. It's right up there with The Dance of Eternity in terms of the best instrumental.
Endless Sacrifice is such a cool song. The instrumental section gets a bit nuts but there are still really neat parts. It doesn't come out of nowhere and still works with the rest of the song (unlike similar tunes like Ministry Of Lost Souls).

Endless Sacrifice is absolutely amazing. My personal highlights are the buildup to the last part ("All you've forsaken...") and the King Crimson shout-out at 5:55 :)

Yep, those are the bits I like too. Also, he twin harmony between guitar and keyboard toward the end of the instrumental part are like a high speed Iron Maiden.

Endless Sacrifice is such a cool song. The instrumental section gets a bit nuts but there are still really neat parts. It doesn't come out of nowhere and still works with the rest of the song (unlike similar tunes like Ministry Of Lost Souls).

I'm on the opposite fence - I think the instrumental sections in both Endless Sacrifice and Ministry both stand out in negative ways because neither fits the emotional aspect of the song. I've actually made an edited version of the former with most of the instrumental section removed, and I think it sounds FAR better.

I'll say that the weird Rudess solo in Endless Sacrifice where he does those weird corny space monkey jerkin' it affects is the only one that bothers me. The Ministry of Lost Souls is amazing, I don't seen any negatives about the middle section at all!

Back