DREAM THEATER SURVIVOR 2016: Results -> A Change Of Seasons wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
:nana::yey: It's finally here!

I'm going to listen to the debut right now, and I'll get my votes in shortly afterwards. I already know I won't be voting for anything from I&W this round.

Well since 3 songs are going to be promoted regardless, I'm voting for everything on WDADU expect for Ytse, Killing Hand, and Light Fuse and Get Away.

So this survivor has forced me to listen to WDADU once again... and I found out I actually like it! At least Dominici is much less irritating than I remembered. The production is atrocious, though, most of the time I'm having problems discerning which bloody instruments do I hear at the given moment.

My votes go to Fortune (good, but that's not enough), Ytse (killing first half or so, but gets quite boring throughout) and the last two (both have their moments and both have potential, but both are also a bloody mess).

Fuse is great and I also somehow inexplicably like Seeker, despite the lyrics. Also, Moore is much more tolerable here, even though I voted agains Matter.

Also voting against Surrounded (wildly altenating between a kitschy ballad and a TV weather forecast) and Wait for Sleep (which is more of a segue, anyway).

It is somewhat unfair that Another Won is mostly available only as a part of the excellent Score - that alone gives it the somewhat unfair advantage (yes, I have heard the Collins version, and the less I say about it, the better), yet I still don't like it. Neither I like To Live Forever. Not including those two on their respective albums was a wise decision.

So this survivor has forced me to listen to WDADU once again... and I found out I actually like it! At least Dominici is much less irritating than I remembered. The production is atrocious, though, most of the time I'm having problems discerning which bloody instruments do I hear at the given moment.

I also discovered this same thing. Try and find the 2002 remaster of WDADU. It's not that much better, but there is a slight improvement in clarity (although it also suffers from the "we turned it up" remaster dilemma).

My votes go to Fortune (good, but that's not enough), Ytse (killing first half or so, but gets quite boring throughout) and the last two (both have their moments and both have potential, but both are also a bloody mess).

Fuse is great and I also somehow inexplicably like Seeker, despite the lyrics. Also, Moore is much more tolerable here, even though I voted agains Matter.

Also voting against Surrounded (wildly altenating between a kitschy ballad and a TV weather forecast) and Wait for Sleep (which is more of a segue, anyway).

It is somewhat unfair that Another Won is mostly available only as a part of the excellent Score - that alone gives it the somewhat unfair advantage (yes, I have heard the Collins version, and the less I say about it, the better), yet I still don't like it. Neither I like To Live Forever. Not including those two on their respective albums was a wise decision.

I liked your comment for the first two lines because I also started to value the debut more this time around. There's quality material there although I'm not keen on the vocals, and why did they pick such an atrocious album cover? :p I removed the like when I saw that you voted for Surrounded, though. :nonono: I have started to really love the song.

I honestly never listen to WDADU anymore because I just throw on the Reunite version. But I can truly say that there's not a single song on there that I don't enjoy. Even the weaker songs (Fuse, Sun) have some cool riffs/sections.

But...

Ytse - cool main riff, boring everything else; weak for a DT instrumental
Fuse
Sun
Won
Another Day - when the sax starts all I hear is that George Michael song
Take the Time - never liked this song; cool bass stuff but it's too "fun" for DT
To Live Forever

Myung is definitely loud but I just have trouble picking up what he's actually playing, if that makes sense.

The issue is that he's playing a lot of lead stuff and harmonics that enter the guitar/keyboard frequency and get lost in the mix.

Also it's worth noting that Myung recorded both WDADU and Images & Words using a four string!

Another Day - when the sax starts all I hear is that George Michael song
Take the Time - never liked this song; cool bass stuff but it's too "fun" for DT

We're only one round in and already I hate you. Those are my two favorites on I&W and Take the Time is Top Ten overall.

EDIT: Not to mention voting for these over songs like Fortune in Lies, Status Seeker, and Only a Matter of Time is just absurdity.

I can understand the votes for Another Day and Wait For Sleep, although I don't agree with them.

The votes for Take The Time and Surrounded are unforgivable!

We're only one round in and already I hate you. Those are my two favorites on I&W and Take the Time is Top Ten overall.

EDIT: Not to mention voting for these over songs like Fortune in Lies, Status Seeker, and Only a Matter of Time is just absurdity.

I walk to the beat of my own drum. That drum is usually in 17/8.

Edit: Here's a stunning rendition of the Another Day solo...

Hating that sax solo simply because it's a sax solo is incredibly narrow, imo. It fits the song and it's an absolutely beautifully played part. As someone who doesn't generally conform to "IT NEEDS MORE METAL RAWR!!!1" I would expect less narrow voting when it comes to Dream Theater.

As a saxophone player I'm unbelievably offended right now.

I only like saxophone in a couple of songs - Another Day, Careless Whisper and Baker Street the first ones I can think of.

Back