Dragonforce

Herman Li does most of the solos, the fucking insane. He pulled a 132nd notes in a freestyle its amazing...dragonforce is an incrediable band..

Cheesy, repetitive, camp... FUCKING BRILLIANT BAND!

Soldiers of the Wasteland is my favourite track, tis so catchy and gay and epic and fagtastic. unlike msot power metalb ands, their ballads sort of suck. Also all the lyrics are about mighty warriors riding with bright steel into glorious battle. Fun but it gets a bit over used.

Herman gets inspiration from video game music, which is why his solos sound like the mario theme tune played 100x faster.

[!--QuoteBegin-Eddie's Lil Helper+Oct 23 2004, 01:00 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Eddie's Lil Helper @ Oct 23 2004, 01:00 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]in same vein you will like

Persuader
Elvenking
Labyrinth - ****
Rhapsody
Vision Divine
THY MAJESTIE
Hammerfall
[snapback]90025[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I've heard Elvenking, Rhapsody and Hammerfall, and theyre pretty cool. I've gotta check out these other bands you've listed.

Cheesy yes, but repetetive? Hmm maybe the lyrics, but thats the same with all power metal bands. Camp? Well yeah [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] Just dont let Sam hear you... >.>

Fury of the Storm... or maybe Where Dragons Rule is my favourite song.

7thson, have you heard Power Quest? they're somehow related to DF (shared guitarists or something like that), the music is similar but not as fast, but the blinding melodies are still there, along with some lovely cheesy 80's stuff [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I'm currently loving their new album "Magic Never Dies".

Hmm, just checked their site. None of the band members are ex-dragonforce, maybe its vice versa. I know that both guitarists were in Demoniac together... I also notice that someone off of the dragonforce board is credited with making skins for them on the site. Maybe some sort of relationship? I'm downloading some songs. I'll get back to you [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Just downloaded a few songs from their site and enjoyed them! Temple of fire was great! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] I'll surely be buying one of their cds if they have them in my local cd store. I doubt they will though.

As for the relationship with Dragonforce, I believe you're right. The keyboardist used to play with Dragonforce in their very early days when they were known as 'Dragonheart' [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

edit: As was the bassist it seems [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

not sure about this, but there seems to be some mini-war going on between them. Might have misread something, though.

Dragonforce is good. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-$yk0_H+Aug 15 2005, 01:08 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE($yk0_H @ Aug 15 2005, 01:08 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]not sure about this, but there seems to be some mini-war going on between them. Might have misread something, though.
[snapback]115439[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Oooh, hope not! [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Dragonforce is only gettin bigger, give them another 7 months theyll be huge in america nad touring here...

I met Herman Li after their show at the Cathouse in Glasgow last year; a great bloke!

As for the band, they are pretty good fun but I can only listen to them in short bursts. They are amazing, talented musicians but horrible, horrible songwriters - on the Sonic Firestorm disc at least (I don't have their first album) there is not a smithereen of personality, heartfelt emotion, valid observation, interesting imagery or social relevance in their lyrics, just a string of shallow metaphor and power metal cliche. Cheese aside, I can't help but think that a band needs a little more depth than this if it is to survive for long.

Don't get me wrong, I definately think they show promise. Perhaps they will mature over their next few albums.

[!--QuoteBegin-Krakenslayer+Aug 17 2005, 12:32 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Krakenslayer @ Aug 17 2005, 12:32 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]horrible, horrible songwriters - on the Sonic Firestorm disc at least (I don't have their first album) there is not a smithereen of personality, heartfelt emotion, valid observation, interesting imagery or social relevance in their lyrics, just a string of shallow metaphor and power metal cliche.

[snapback]115661[/snapback]​
[/quote]

While I agree with your statement about the power metal cliches and lyrics, I believe that they are great songwriters. Perhaps not in the lyrical department but everywhere else is pretty amazing.

sorry mate, but to me Dragonforce still sound like a decent Metal album put on fast forward.
It's nice to see that they can play fast, but it just rushes over me. I'm not a big fan of Cheese Metal anyway, but still, if the singer would stop squeezing his balls that much and they'd drop their speed to a normal level, I could actually enjoy their music... at least a bit

[!--QuoteBegin-The_7th_Son+Aug 19 2005, 12:33 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The_7th_Son @ Aug 19 2005, 12:33 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]While I agree with your statement about the power metal cliches and lyrics, I believe that they are great songwriters. Perhaps not in the lyrical department but everywhere else is pretty amazing.
[snapback]115900[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Sorry, I didn't make myself too clear. I think Dragonforce are great musically, even the gratutious twiddling is pulled off with wonderful panache, and their attitude is commendable. However, I wish they'd write some more interesting and more involving lyrics because the predictable power metal histrionics do get a bit wearing and eventually turn me off, which is annoying because otherwise I could listen to them all day.

Yeah its all the same with power metal though, cheesy lyrics about steel and warriors. I can cope with it for the time being. They wouldn't be power metal without the lyrics though. Perhaps the next album will show some original lyrics. I cant see them changing their lyrics, to those about love though... [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

A very good band, I like Sonic Firestorm a fair bit. Songs tend to get rather samish after a while though imo. Live, however, they're definitely ace, absolutely great shows [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-The_7th_Son+Aug 19 2005, 05:17 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The_7th_Son @ Aug 19 2005, 05:17 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Put on fast forward? Thats why its called speed metal.
[snapback]115935[/snapback]​
[/quote]

ok, wait, what I tried to say was it's so called "Speed Metal" on fast forward! (I thought the term Speed Metal died in the mid 80s, cause it was obvious that bands like Helloween and Metallica hadn't too much in common after all... oh well)

[!--QuoteBegin-The_7th_Son+Aug 30 2005, 01:35 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The_7th_Son @ Aug 30 2005, 01:35 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Yeah its all the same with power metal though, cheesy lyrics about steel and warriors. I can cope with it for the time being. They wouldn't be power metal without the lyrics though. Perhaps the next album will show some original lyrics. I cant see them changing their lyrics, to those about love though... [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]116723[/snapback]​
[/quote]

That's not necessarily true. In fact, most of the best power metal bands have interesting, thoughtfully-written songs as well as, or even instead of, the cliched steel and warriors stuff:

Nightwish - Power/gothic metal with lyrical themes about nature, existentialism, mythology, relationships (not poppy, happy stuff, but disturbing/dark love stories) and personal and philosophical stuff.

Sonata Arctica - Power/speed/classical metal. Songs about freedom, individualism, being an outsider, corruption and dark romantic themes as well as story-type narrative songs.

Helloween - Power metal. Occasionally kinda chessy but they do write songs about a huge range of topics including politics, mythology and personal stuff.

Iced Earth - Trad/power/thrash metal. Lyrics include horror, history, literature, war, theology (with an anti-organised-religion slant), and numerous others.

Back